No announcement yet.

Hurricane Matthew Check In

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as I find Florida Gov Rick Scott a repulsive sociopath, it was heartening to see him each press conference throughout each day. It gave the sense that officials were engaged and trying to address the disaster problems.

Comment

It's good to know people are being looked after in this bad time though waiting until Oct. 16 for power doesn't sound good.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Here in Ohio, I'be been too close to a couple devastating a tornados too not fear them greatly.
        With hurricanes you get warnings. With tornados not so much!!!
        Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Comment

BBS, I agree with you about the Gov., however when it just keeps on and on and there is really nothing new - we are saturated with it. We hear it on the local news then we hear it from the Gov. I think twice daily should be sufficient for the Gov to come on. Some rivers are receding, but some are still rising, and there is no doubt that we all know that many people in the state are hurting.
          Virginia

Comment

Maybe the thought is that the more they air the news about the people who are hurting, the more likely people will be to come forward with offers of aid.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Or it could work the other way, and folks think because the Gov is talking about it so much, they figure State and Local aide must be pouring in by now.
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

There have been telethons and fund raisers and all kind of things are being done to try and help these people. Lord knows they need this kind of help.

The State will be receiving Federal aid. The President talked with our Governor when this happened and was assured that money to rebuild the infrastructure will be coming. Also, I think FEMA is to help the people who have been left without homes, not to mention clothing or anything else.

This is going to take years to come back from. Some of our farmers had crops that still are completely under water along with their houses. It is sad beyond words.

We had a hurricane in 1999 (Floyd) that turned out to be more water damage than wind. They said it was 100 year storm for us. Now they are already saying that this one is as bad or worse. Four hurricanes of significance in my lifetime - two that destroyed by wind and now two that have destroyed by water.
                Virginia

Comment

A bunch of FEMA people were holed up in our evacuation hotel in Tampa until the storm passed. I complimented them and told them how great they were when Jeanne devastated my town in '04, made them smile.

Comment

Guess what I watched on TV last night! Tornado...LOL
                    Love, Sally

Comment

Our people are still hurting and will for a long time to come. When the Governor came on a couple of days ago he seemed to actually get emotional when he talked of coffins rising up. He said these people have been laid to rest one time and that they all would be found and laid to rest again. He said they were not resting in peace at this time.

He also said that at least 48 hundred hogs have been lost. The devastation just goes on and on. In some towns people that are still there can not get to the other side of a small town because there are no roads left.
                      Virginia

Comment

And the stench when the waters recede will be just plain horrible. My town stunk for months after Jeanne. And also, you could not get this odd sour smell out of anything that was not metal or plastic. At least you could bleach metal and plastic. I had never smelled that before Jeanne in my life. And not since the town fully recovered which took years.

Comment

How awful. PU...
                          Love, Sally

Comment

Ugh. I am there with all of you hit by the hurricane. I want you to know I am personally sending my well wishes.

Here in CA (SF area for 48 years) we don't get the wind of hurricanes, but we do get earthquakes; Big ones.
                            We do at times get flooding, mudslides, etc... Like in 1982 when El Nino rolled in with a vengeance and just dumped rain until the ground until it wouldn't hold any more, and kept on coming... So I do know what it's like to experience widespread chaos and destruction. It can be very, very, scary.

With these bits of experiences of disasters in my life, I feel I can at least empathize with what you are going through, and I hope you are all safe and able to (re)connect with your loved ones.
                            "The Most Determined Win!"

” If Windmills do indeed cause cancer, wouldn’t spinning them backwards cure it?” 🤪

Comment

Thank you David for taking the time to respond. I know that California has certainly had their share of natural disasters, so many there would be able to empathize with what is now happening in the State I live in. Some people think when it is over, it's over. But for many it is just beginning.

As our Governor said, many of the people who were hardest hit here are the people who did not have a lot to begin with and now they have absolutely nothing.
                              Virginia

Comment

Virginia, I hope they'll get aid that will help them to recover--food, shelter, heat, transportation, clothing, medicine--all of that is probably gone or very difficult to get for those who have been hit by the storm.

Comment

Working...
                                X