Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

A Prime Time Comedy about a teenage boy, who has Cerebral Palsy? Hard to believe? Believe it!

On Wednesday, September 21, ABC will premiere a new situation comedy, “Speechless,” which focuses on a family with three children, one of whom, JJ, is a teenager with Cerebral Palsy. JJ is nonverbal and uses a computer to communicate. Micah Fowler, who portrays JJ, has CP. One of Micah’s differences from JJ is that Micah communicates verbally. Minnie Driver is cast as the fearless and fierce matriarch.

Here’s a review, written by a mom of a nonverbal child with special needs:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Here is the official trailer for “Speechless:"

The pilot episode is available for FREE on ABC on line:

After watching the “Speechless” pilot, I am impressed. It is rare when a series establishes characters and relationships in the pilot. Typically that kind of development takes several episodes, if not a season to accomplish. This pilot delivered a clear picture of each cast member, the dynamics of the family, and the challenges they’ve faced and will continue to encounter.

I related to Minnie’s performance as the loving and often controlling Mom. I guarantee that there were many times in the last 46 years, when , upon seeing me, professionals whispered to each other, “Here she comes. Give her whatever she wants.” And I wear that like a badge of honor, because we have to fight for our children’s rights. We have to be relentless and determined. And JJ’s Mom is all of that and more.

There aren’t non-stop laughs in “Speechless.” The humor is subtle in places and in your face in other places. Moments of brutal honesty, and moments of poignancy.

This is the first prime time show featuring a child with disabilities since “Life Goes On,” (1989-1993), and it’s astounding that it has taken nearly a quarter of a century to create another show with a similar theme.

I’m going to keep my eye on “Speechless” hoping that it stays the course, and that viewers will respond positively to it. My concern is that there are many TV viewers, who would rather not see a person with a disability or his mom fighting for his needs and rights. Add humorous situations that those viewers might not understand, and it could be difficult for “Speechless” to reach them.

I hope that I am wrong.

Please share your thoughts about “Speechless.”

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Thank you so much for posting this Rose!! BRILLIANT IDEA FOR A SERIES! And it even has a disabled actor! Cerebral Palsy RULES! So glad to see more CP characters besides my own. This series almost seems like something I would write. My concern with this however is the same as yours. Caretakers and disabled people will love this but I fear regular viewers will not be interested not because the fighting for one's rights is not interesting but because it will get too repetitive and boring too quickly because it doesn't seem to have plot points beyond the disability rights stuff so far in how it is marketed. I find myself wanting to see characters having relationships with each other and regular conflicts with the disability rights stuff as more of an important backdrop that helps the other plots move forward in the trailer. I can also see some disabled people complaining about character stuff and the fact that the mom is the main character instead of the guy with CP as I keep taps on these things for my own work, but I have no problem with the mom being the main character and I like that it shows the reality of access issues which I'm trying to write more about myself.
    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-11-2016, 10:57 AM.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

In addition to watching the trailer, did you watch the Free pilot episode on ABC's on line link:

Since Minnie Driver is a well known actress, she's the "star attraction" for viewers. And while her role is prominent, I think the show is striving for an ensemble cast.

In the pilot episode, the story arcs around JJ's younger brother's angst, his desire to fit in, his need for his parents' attention (as a middle child), and validation of what he wants and needs as an awkward adolescent.

Every character participates in this episode to give us a better idea of their connections. Mom is running the show, because, well, in real life, Moms do run the show. In the pilot, it's clear that all of her children accept that aspect of Mom, but aren't afraid to let Mom know that they need more or something different than what she's delivering. This allows us to see Mom digging deeper into how she can be the best Mom to all three of her children.

This is a story about a family, with a family member, who has CP and needs a "voice" to speak for him. That voice may be his brother, sister, Mom, Dad, or the janitor JJ hired. They don't put words in his mouth. They speak the words he writes/indicates. Based upon the pilot, I sense that JJ will be a core character, because of his interactions with the other characters.

I think “Speechless” has good possibilities, if done well, and I’m just thrilled and grateful to see a prime time show about a family with a disabled family member. That’s a modicum of progress.

Let’s watch it this season and discuss it here!

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
        ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

In addition to watching the trailer, did you watch the Free pilot episode on ABC's on line link:

Since Minnie Driver is a well known actress, she's the "star attraction" for viewers. And while her role is prominent, I think the show is striving for an ensemble cast.

In the pilot episode, the story arcs around JJ's younger brother's angst, his desire to fit in, his need for his parents' attention (as a middle child), and validation of what he wants and needs as an awkward adolescent.

Every character participates in this episode to give us a better idea of their connections. Mom is running the show, because, well, in real life, Moms do run the show. In the pilot, it's clear that all of her children accept that aspect of Mom, but aren't afraid to let Mom know that they need more or something different than what she's delivering. This allows us to see Mom digging deeper into how she can be the best Mom to all three of her children.

This is a story about a family, with a family member, who has CP and needs a "voice" to speak for him. That voice may be his brother, sister, Mom, Dad, or the janitor JJ hired. They don't put words in his mouth. They speak the words he writes/indicates. Based upon the pilot, I sense that JJ will be a core character, because of his interactions with the other characters.

I think “Speechless” has good possibilities, if done well, and I’m just thrilled and grateful to see a prime time show about a family with a disabled family member. That’s a modicum of progress.

Let’s watch it this season and discuss it here!

Love & Light,

Rose
        Hi Rose, I didn't have time to get through the whole episode last time,sorry, if you notice I only referenced the trailer earlier, but now I have seen the episode and I agree. I see more character development,and the characters are likable in the episode itself. I think if they continue in this direction it will work. They just need to maybe fine tune some things but that's typical of any new show. I still think they might need to market a bit better and be sure to have the civil rights stuff as a backdrop. Some of my family members and I plan to watch this series and I will report back on all our reviews! The black guy was a riot!
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Here's a great review of "Speechless"! Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for sharing that video review of "Speechless." I agree with everything the vlogger said, and I'm glad that she has a great relationship with her mom and recognizes that her mom's advocacy contributed to her achievements.

"Speechless" has been heavily promoted recently, with Minnie Driver appearing on various talk shows, and with frequent commercials on ABC, along with the rest of the new fall line up. It has an excellent time slot, at 8:30, and is sandwiched between "The Goldbergs," and "Modern Family" and Black-ish" (both of which were nominated for several Emmys). From a marketing standpoint, that is all golden.

Fingers crossed it does well!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
              ((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thank you for sharing that video review of "Speechless." I agree with everything the vlogger said, and I'm glad that she has a great relationship with her mom and recognizes that her mom's advocacy contributed to her achievements.

"Speechless" has been heavily promoted recently, with Minnie Driver appearing on various talk shows, and with frequent commercials on ABC, along with the rest of the new fall line up. It has an excellent time slot, at 8:30, and is sandwiched between "The Goldbergs," and "Modern Family" and Black-ish" (both of which were nominated for several Emmys). From a marketing standpoint, that is all golden.

Fingers crossed it does well!

Love & Light,

Rose
              You're welcome Rose! Yes I have seen promotion for this everywhere and I'm glad to see them marketing this way. Is that 8:30 ET ??? I missed episode 1 airing on TV by accident and do not want to miss episode 2!! Let me know?

If I manage to catch the episodes I'll review as much of it as I can here. Like I said this show is similar to my films in TV form and I love that! My family is much like the reviewers family and the family in "Speechless" and I give them loads of credit! Hoping to write a bit about my family advocating for my rights someday too. They did a damn good job. They gave me a life that was like that of an able bodied person of the same age while still embracing my disability with complete honesty and love. Nothing about my disability was ever kept from me and I think that helped me gain the confidence I have now. That reviewer did some other great videos on her channel. I suggest watching her videos.
              Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-22-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Here's a good written review I just found Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Yes, "Speechless" airs at 8:30 ET (and PT) on Wednesdays. You can watch the first episode on ABC's website:

I forgot to watch the pilot on Weds, since I don't generally watch TV in the evenings. I watch movies and concerts with Jon. So, I'll have to remember next week to schedule Jon's viewing to include "Speechless," which I think he will also enjoy.

I appreciated Tonia's thoughts and opinions on the show and agree with her observations. Thanks for sharing her blog.

For you, I'm extremely happy that you have a loving and caring family, who advocated for your rights. It's wonderful that you are realizing your dreams and achieving your goals. May it always continue to be so for you.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Here’s some good reviews of “Speechless” (my review below)

SPOILER ALERT! I also finally figured out how to watch episode 2. I think the lines are really clever in certain scenes and I like that the disabled character with CP does naughty things and has some sass on him LOL. The mom’s overbearingness is spot on. I know people who caretake my non verbal friends who are like that. The scenes where the CP character looks at the females is pretty much every disabled guy I know in a nutshell LOL. I like how they show the caretaker relationship. The PT stuff is my entire life haha, too rich! The subplot with the “idiots” seems kinda shoe horned in and very forced so I wasn’t that into it. I also think there are moments where the show tries to be a little too smart for it’s own good and the pacing seems really rushed like a Disney Channel show at times. In this episode the CP character seems the most developed out of all the characters so I have to say I like the show very much. I want to see them structure some of the dialogue a bit better and have some scenes of the CP character having PT himself as well as have some episodes that do not deal with disability so directly to become more relatable for able bodied.
                    Last edited by funnylegs4; 09-29-2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

I'm glad that you were able to watch the episode. I only saw the last 10 minutes. I tried to watch it online, but our cable service has been bought out by another cable service, so I was not allowed to access it. I'll have to wait until the corporate takeover is complete. GAH! So irritating!

In the scene, where JJ's PT is instructed by Mom to heal the younger brother of his awkward gait, I found irony on several levels. Why hasn't the younger brother had PT previously? JJ has been having PT for years, most likely. Has Mom just ignored younger brother's gait, while focusing on PT for JJ? (And since I missed the beginning of the show, does the younger brother actually have an awkward gait?)

Mom was quite upset that JJ was missing his PT (which is completely understandable, considering how difficult it is to obtain PT these days). The PT was there, and Mom didn't want to waste the visit.

What the younger brother endures during this PT session should give him empathy toward JJ. I'm hoping that manifests in future episodes. The PT was over the top, based upon my experience. Enthusiasm is one thing, but criticizing and negativity is entirely another. She achieved the opposite of the purpose by causing a lack of self confidence in the younger brother, who then is shunned at school by the girl on whom he has a crush.

I can see some angst developing there, where younger brother looks at JJ and thinks, "People look at you and see a hero. People look at me and see a dork." That combined with, "JJ, I think I understand why you skipped PT." Teenage conflict.

I especially liked the scene where Mom finds Kenneth (JJ's aide) and JJ in the bathroom. It's very difficult to entrust the care of your child to another person, and you know that no one else will care for your child the way you do or as well as you do. I felt Mom's relief, when she realized that Kenneth knew how to care for and transfer JJ for that most important and personal need.

"What if something happens to me?" really weighs on Moms of children with disabilities and special needs. Also, realizing that Kenneth can handle toileting for JJ means on less time that Mom has to lift her now growing teenage son. We think about that too.

Since I didn't see the beginning, I don't know what the kerfuffle was with the neighbors, but I could relate to the ending, where the entire family explains to the neighbors that they are not like them. Perfect homes, perfect landscaping, perfect everything. Nope. JJ's family doesn't fall into that category. Oh how I can relate to that.

I actually told our homeowner's association 40 years ago, after numerous letters about my unlandscaped and unfenced new home, "My husband left me and my two severely disabled children. I work full time and care for my sons on my own. If you don't like the way our property looks, then we'd welcome your assistance in improving it. Bring your shovels, your grass seed, your flower seeds, some wood, hammers and nails, and your ideas and help me. I'm doing the best that I can."

No neighbors showed up. No surprise. And to this day, we still get hassled for "violations." We had to get a new garage door in April to avoid a lien on our home, and we had one month to do it. Everyone in our neighborhood knows our family, our history, and that our son is ill. They've all seen and heard the fire trucks and paramedics arrive at our home. The ambulances carrying our sons to the hospital in the middle of the night/morning. They've all seen the steady stream of nurses, therapists, and other professionals come to our home. But they don't care.

So, what I most appreciate about "Speechless" is that it is honestly addressing the reality of the lives of families with a disabled loved one. Not just JJ's challenges, but the challenges of every member of the family, as well as the family versus the community, versus the educational system, versus the ancillary care (PT) system, versus stereotypes, versus intolerance and lack of understanding of persons with disabilities.

This is an ambitious project, in a Golden Prime Time slot, giving voice to the entirety of disabilities. JJ is the catalyst for all of the dynamics in this story. It's not just about JJ. It's about everyone in his world. I find that to be quite informative and extremely relatable.

I hope that corporate take over is completed soon, so I can watch the whole episode!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Thanks to your link, I was able to watch the entire episode.

I'm really relating to Mom more and more:

Mom with the Principal ~ recounting the issues she's had with previous principals and using the "I have a lawyer" method of intimidation toward an "authority"

Mom handing Kenneth a book about JJ's needs and care, sunscreen, etc. ~ "He's my world" ~ I've said that many times to aides, nurses, teachers, medical professionals, etc.

Mom telling JJ "you will always be my baby" ~ It's difficult to watch our children grow up, become teens and adults, and realize how much their worlds change with that natural transition. One day, as I was driving my boys home from school, I heard a low male voice say, "Mommy" from the backseat. I nearly drove off the road! Jon's voice changed overnight. While I've always tried to treat my sons age appropriately, they are and always will be my babies.

The connection is innate. When my mother died, my grandmother sobbed about her baby girl, who she carried under her bosom for 9 months.

For me, having provided my sons' care all of their lives, it is even more pronounced.

Mom observing Kenneth caring for JJ in the bathroom ~ as I mentioned in my previous post, I understood her relief.

I think Minnie Driver is capturing the reality of Moms of children with special needs accurately. We have so many hats to wear, and we must be all things to all people in our circle. Mom to all of our kids, wife, daughter, sister, friend, advocate, medical expert, legal expert, educational expert, negotiator, detective. We have to be The Glue. And that is a major, exhausting challenge.

And it doesn't matter how exhausted we are, we have to keep functioning, to keep everything working, to be dominant and present.

One of Jon's high school teachers said that people either saw me as a "saint" or a "b--ch." Actually, I am neither. I'm just trying to maintain an even keel in the boat I'm paddling, so we stay afloat and reach our destination.

Observation about Speechless "Dad" ~

Dad's role is parenting the other son and daughter primarily, while Mom is hovering over JJ. It's also his job to remind Mom that she has to lighten up or let go of her obsessiveness. Mom thinks he doesn't get it, but he does, and she realizes he's cautioning her out of love for her.

In this episode, when Dad tried to be the one in charge with the principal, he stumbled, and Mom had to correct him and feed him the "buzz words" to get the principal's attention. Typically, Moms handle these issues, so Dads are novices.

Dad is a protector of every family member and their abode. It's unclear whether he has a job, and if so, what that job is, but he's obviously in charge of clean up after the family issues explode and make a mess.

Sadly, the divorce rate among parents of children with disabilities and/or terminal illness is uniquely high. In most cases, as in mine, the "Dads" disappear and fail to support their children.

So, it's pleasant to see a DAD in this series, who is calm and caring and able to go with the flow. Like my sons' Dad, Jim, who came into our lives, when they were in their early 20s. He has more than made up for the "absent sperm donor Dad."

"Speechless" has great promise. I'm rooting for its success.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

I missed episode 3 on TV so I hope to catch it via youtube later but here is someone else's review Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                          I like your thoughts Rose and I agree.

Comment

((((((funnylegs4)))))) ~

Jon and I watched Episode 3, and I have to agree with Tonia, in that I was disappointed. I think I should watch it again more closely to see if my second viewing changes my opinion. I'll hold onto my review, until after you've had a chance to watch the episode, and I've had some time to view it again. I really want to love it, but my current attitude is not leading me there. I'm beginning to see the flaws unraveling. Stereotyping. Not good.

Let me know when you have watched Episode 3 and please share your thoughts.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

I haven't watched the show but I stumbled across this video and it sure does say a lot. I love the word "bulletproof" It descries so amny families I know!

I hope the link works.
                              Mary Grace

Comment

Working...
                              X