"Speechless:" Prime Time TV Show ~ Teen with CP and His Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jul97 View Post
    Transition planning is a process mandated by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA 2004) for all students who have an Individualized Education Program (IEP) in K-12 education. The purpose is to facilitate the student's move from school to post-school activities.

So the Dimeo's would have a pretty reliable idea of when JJ was going to graduate long before that year.. I know the back story is JJ has changed schools bnch of times due to Mya's wanting to find the perfect situation for JJ. I do not find that believable. Yes, kids with disabilities change schools; but the reasons tend to be the same as why any student changes schools; for some reason their family moves.. When it's all about the kid w a disability, in those cases, the kid normally stays in the same school or only changes once or twice. I mean all public schools in America have to abide by IDEA; so how different can it be? And, I don't know this based on both my experience and not knowing how schools handle it, but I'd guess the old school would send the students IEP to the new district and the new district has so munch time, probably specified/ by federal law, to write a new IEP. I'd also guess the new district would consider the old IEP.

It's just not real to my a student going into 11th grade with no school history, any kid, and if a kid has a para that means they have an IEP.(Pretty sure) Kids with IEPs are tracked so much more closely than kids w/o IEPs since 3.. I mean I had like days of testing/evals every 3 years in school. The district even sent their social worker to my house for a home study because stats are kids with disabilities are more likely to be abused in their home and less likely/able to report.. I guess that was the district's justification or the reason for the law that the district needed to follow. I do not blame mom for being annoyed at this-feeling they're just being nosey. Yeah, like I'd tie my disabled kid up right before the stupid appointment, please.. Do not blame ma one bit-no kid was ever abused or harmed in my parents home.. But she was like gotta do what I gotta do.. It's stupid but, whatever. (I was too young to really be outraged or understand what was going on, I just remember mom mentioning it. I do not think HS district did a home study; that would so bothered me!)

We are way tracked and evaled... 90% sure if we switch districts are records get transferred. Even in cases where parents are really low functioning and do not attend IEPs or keep records, the district probably just can call the child's last district and get em sent over.

Again academically JJ doesn't make sense.. The documentary a certain proof, I'll post the link below goes into how hard it is to get districts to presume academic competence of students with severe communication disabilities or are non-verbal, how hard it is to get these students placed in grade level reged classes. That so contradicts the JJ shows up at 16, school just puts him in REGED junior classes, he is nowhere near that on a academic level but is allowed to slide cause of cp

I liked the last three eps betters; the 18th bday one had lots of good stuff.. We do face and feel 18 is different for us then our peers. My 18th Bday I was packing, or trying to pack, to leave for college in a few days. So on one level I was doing the same thing as my peers. One another level; my peers/friends were driving-I wasn't. Most of my friends had jobs or some job experience, I did not. Most of my peers had way more experience with guys than I. I found that relatable.

The party fell into the shows annoyance of mine, that it's just over the top. Who wouldn't ask their 18 y/o what do you want to do for your bday? What do you want? Who'd plan a friggin kiddie party for their 18 y/o and invite 'popular' w/o their child's permission, those people they've never been around prior, nothing leads me to believe my kid and them are friends.. I don't blame JJ for being pissed-but, to me, it would never get to that point..Or, maybe my parents were just really good at letting go of us being in the little kids stage.. And asking us, what do we want to do for birthdays- IDK

Some good stuff; I liked a the convenience store scene, thought that was cute. But, at least partly due to my own negative experiences, wish it wasn't with Kenneth!! They need more characters, so Kenneth isn't always used in unrealistic ways.. JJ could have a best friend, or a typical twin whose great in wanting to be with his twin, or Mya a best friend. I am not saying JJ's character shouldn't have a para or that Kenneth's character shouldn't be on the show. Just he is way to big of part on the show!

I really liked the story line with JJ's character's reservation about hanging one on one with a new friend. How JJ cannot just change plans at the drop of the hat; and that is a real hindrance to teenage life.. That was all real to me. I liked the ending, how the other kid also thought it was due to his insecurities.

The Kenneth/ Dad's story line-stupid. Again, I really doubt my dad ever knew my para's name..When he'd see I wasn't happy-he'd say I am sorry they're giving you rough time at school but, your mom will deal with it. Again, we we're a 'nice family' but, everyone still had their own lives in my house..

I liked Mya and Ray's story line. Regarding the Ray's break-up and them at the mall.

Last weeks: I loved JJ's film had nothing to do with cp or educating his class about it-YES!! I also loved the school made accommodations for him to be able to take film as an elective. My school a lot of elective's they said no, you cannot take.. It seemed like they felt they only had to provide me with the requirements to earn a diploma, we knew they were violating law but just picked our battles

Season finale tomorrow night

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Thanks for the info on transition planning and the documentary. I had never even heard of that documentary. I never had transition planning at all as far as I know. I told my schools and home school coordinators I planned to apply for college and my family did everything themselves so I really don't have a context for transiting planning accuracy. That's interesting about the home study. I know of a family that randomly had a home study forced on them because the kid was disabled and the school thought it was caused by poor diet when it was something else that caused the disability. I will check out the last few eps later and give a full review. ;)
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

I liked tonight's

I wish JJ would loose his aide; when he's in college he won't have one, when he has a job he won't have one. But that probably won't happen.

I also think JJ's character is incredibly immature; when you are 16-you are almost an adult, JJ had very little understanding of two issues tonight.. One, people have lives. The last few times I was in hospital as a teen, my main PT only worked 3 days a week there, the other 2 she worked for a school district. At 15, this didn't through me for a loop-cause I was 15! I wasn't 4.

Second communication is only one issue. I feel JJ's character should use a device w a voice, and I thought the device shown tonight was cool. Wish I could have a device w a human voice, should I chose to use one. Long story as to if I am an AAC device user, but one of the things I hate about the ones I've dabbled w is the voice is creepy to me.

So he should use a more advanced device, just like using a power chair, not being totally dependent on others to push him. But, there's like 20 to 50 things his aide does for him. I'd love to see JJ work through how is he going to get lunch, take notes, access his locker, use the bathroom, w more remote support. Not just oh I have a voice output now so no more aide. Again he's not six.
      I just recently discovered disabled people can have aids in college in real life via a service. Look up the story of "Nick Astor". Its a huge pain in the butt to get the aid apparently but not impossible. Some 4 year colleges offer aids like lab partner type aids in certain circumstances as well I'm told. The series "Speechless" is getting a season 3. Anybody going to watch season 3?
      Last edited by funnylegs4; 08-25-2018, 12:38 PM.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

"Speechless" has been cancelled. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... I kinda stopped watching after season 2 but I wanted the series to run longer as an opportunity for disabled actors. Any thoughts on the show ending guys?

Comment

Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
          "Speechless" has been cancelled. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... I kinda stopped watching after season 2 but I wanted the series to run longer as an opportunity for disabled actors. Any thoughts on the show ending guys?
          Funny: I don't check tis board much so just finding out about it's canceled.. I am mildly bummed despite not being surprised..

Said all along they shoot themselves in the foot or longevity of the show by not starting JJ conquering new world of middle school.. All the storylines would had worked for middle school aged JJ. My opinion better actually cause I felt for a HS senior he was immature.. As I said Wonder Years was one of the best shows ever and those kids were dealing w mature life issues as graders, what made it work and timeless.

Not surprised it's cancelled as JJ went to NYU, which also didn't seem JJ had the requirements to even come remotely close to getting in NYU if it were real. And they established Kenneth would have a big role in transition but not attend college with him.

I would had bought/watched still JJ is mostly gone but the show is Kenneth working at the same high school w another student; navigating a different dynamic and new issues w his new student.. They also could had hired Mya as a fellow para-pro at JJs old school.. Believable JJ is gone so now she's working to bring in steady/more income ass Dad gets his firm off the ground..Again, Maya now has a different dynamic with Kenneth and the principal as they're now co-workers, bosses, Mya has to navigate that shift as well as I am now a employee-not the kid's parent, it's real different being on the other side... Mya thinks she knows all till she has to work w another kid and family and deal w crap that comes from being a district employee.

BUT: Lifetime of TV watching sitcoms do not like kids going off to college; they seem not to do the obvious thing Alex went to Yale and makes appearances some times.. I am talking about Family Ties 40 years ago; instead they make up some dorking local college.. Like yeah in real life someone who was valedictorian and obsessed w being and having the best would go to the same local jr college as his mall-rat total opposite sister.. I've so noticed; family sitcoms never make sense when it comes to kids leaving for college

Despite lots of it sucked, mainly the writting and it being closer to some disney cartoon than my experience at a public school w a para; I liked it.. Goldbergs
          writting also sucked but it's lasted a good six seasons..

I was hoping it would last; it was a kids show-I was happy my niece almost old enough to watch it; it would had been cool just to see disabled kids on TVV for her like her aunt..

I love Michah Fowler and hope he gets other acting jobs.

I bet Minnie Driver only signed a contract for so long and didn't want to do it anymore; bet that's the reason.. Writing was so bad-season 3 Zack Arner joined as a writer; my opinion that dude sucks and isn't funny.

Hope you're well Funny and having a good summer!

Comment

Funny: I don't check tis board much so just finding out about it's canceled.. I am mildly bummed despite not being surprised..

Said all along they shoot themselves in the foot or longevity of the show by not starting JJ conquering new world of middle school.. All the storylines would had worked for middle school aged JJ. My opinion better actually cause I felt for a HS senior he was immature.. As I said Wonder Years was one of the best shows ever and those kids were dealing w mature life issues as graders, what made it work and timeless.

Not surprised it's cancelled as JJ went to NYU, which also didn't seem JJ had the requirements to even come remotely close to getting in NYU if it were real. And they established Kenneth would have a big role in transition but not attend college with him.

I would had bought/watched still JJ is mostly gone but the show is Kenneth working at the same high school w another student; navigating a different dynamic and new issues w his new student.. They also could had hired Mya as a fellow para-pro at JJs old school.. Believable JJ is gone so now she's working to bring in steady/more income ass Dad gets his firm off the ground..Again, Maya now has a different dynamic with Kenneth and the principal as they're now co-workers, bosses, Mya has to navigate that shift as well as I am now a employee-not the kid's parent, it's real different being on the other side... Mya thinks she knows all till she has to work w another kid and family and deal w crap that comes from being a district employee.

BUT: Lifetime of TV watching sitcoms do not like kids going off to college; they seem not to do the obvious thing Alex went to Yale and makes appearances some times.. I am talking about Family Ties 40 years ago; instead they make up some dorking local college.. Like yeah in real life someone who was valedictorian and obsessed w being and having the best would go to the same local jr college as his mall-rat total opposite sister.. I've so noticed; family sitcoms never make sense when it comes to kids leaving for college

Despite lots of it sucked, mainly the writting and it being closer to some disney cartoon than my experience at a public school w a para; I liked it.. Goldbergs
            writting also sucked but it's lasted a good six seasons..

I was hoping it would last; it was a kids show-I was happy my niece almost old enough to watch it; it would had been cool just to see disabled kids on TVV for her like her aunt..

I love Michah Fowler and hope he gets other acting jobs.

I bet Minnie Driver only signed a contract for so long and didn't want to do it anymore; bet that's the reason.. Writing was so bad-season 3 Zack Arner joined as a writer; my opinion that dude sucks and isn't funny.

Hope you're well Funny and having a good summer!
            Hi Jul,

Thanks for posting your thoughts! I agree NYU doesn’t make any sense at all academically for JJ. Your ideas for a spin off/continuation are good. Maya as a para would be great! If they did want to do a local college plot they could have done it like this: JJ gets into a private college (barely) but the dorm is inaccessible(or partially inaccessible because they still try to make it look like they follow the ADA) but if JJ goes to community college or a local commute 4 year college he can keep Kenneth as a aid/para so he does that instead. Or community college is accessible enough for JJ to go without a para entirely because it is accessible compared to 4 yr and JJ gets an AAC. I found out recently that only 50% of disabled students graduate private 4 year colleges simply because of inaccessibility. The stats were in Huffington Post I think, so it would be a good issue to cover. Just an idea. People I know with PCAs usually have all different ones rotated so they could do that too for new characters and realism with JJ. Keep it mind this is off the top of my head.

If Kenneth didn't plan to go with JJ to college, did JJ plan on getting a PCA or AAC?

I barely follow Zack Anner. I only saw his video “Search for the Rainbow Bagel” about accessibility. Good point. The show did seem to have a bit of the Disney Channel style gags. I was happy they at least tried to hire disabled writers and, as far as I know, hired more than one disabled actor(s). This show gave Micah a ton of exposer which he will need to land his next job. His fans love him show much they tried to have “Speechless” picked up by Netflix. I hope more and more shows hire disabled actors and make improvements in the areas where Speechless was weak.

Yeah usually contracts only last so long or new jobs come up for actors/crew.

You have a great summer too!
            Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-12-2019, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Hi Jul,

Thanks for posting your thoughts! I agree NYU doesn’t make any sense at all academically for JJ. Your ideas for a spin off/continuation are good. Maya as a para would be great! If they did want to do a local college plot they could have done it like this: JJ gets into a private college (barely) but the dorm is inaccessible(or partially inaccessible because they still try to make it look like they follow the ADA) but if JJ goes to community college or a local commute 4 year college he can keep Kenneth as a aid/para so he does that instead. Or community college is accessible enough for JJ to go without a para entirely because it is accessible compared to 4 yr and JJ gets an AAC. I found out recently that only 50% of disabled students graduate private 4 year colleges simply because of inaccessibility. The stats were in Huffington Post I think, so it would be a good issue to cover. Just an idea. People I know with PCAs usually have all different ones rotated so they could do that too for new characters and realism with JJ. Keep it mind this is off the top of my head.

If Kenneth didn't plan to go with JJ to college, did JJ plan on getting a PCA or AAC?

I barely follow Zack Anner. I only saw his video “Search for the Raihbow Bagel” about accessibility. Good point. The show did seem to have a bit of tinh Disney Channel style gags. I was happy they at least tried to hire disabled writers and, as far as I know, hired more than one disabled actor(s). This show gave Micah a ton of exposer which he will need to land his next job. His fans love him show much they tried to have “Speechless” picked up by Netflix. I hope more and more shows hire disabled actors and make improvements in the areas where Speechless was weak.

Yeah usually contracts only last so long or new jobs come up for actors/crew.

You have a great summer too!
              YES: I agree JJ local or community college would totally fit his charecter; making a great movie that JJ waited till the last minute and then expected everyone else ti part the seas for him; including using a government building overnight-and principal comes into work and just laughs those wacky demaio's, how can I help?? First few class for all other students either cancelled or moved to the fields so you can keep could totally be accomplished by a 17 w severe cp!! But, not as a spur of the moment oh we're out of cereal lets run to the store...

I was happy his films weren't about disability-cool..

My thing is making a kick as film is probably only one of the many requirements for NYU; it's probably top of class, all AP classes and insane test scores; JJs charecter didn't seem anywhere near there as most kids aren't. My sibs and I-none of us were even close to Ivy material; that's fine..h

Even if JJ were surper academic NYU didn't seem to fit the demaio's financially at all!! They're having trouble keeping a two bdr house. Really, I don't think they'd be able to do it.. And, real, kids w disabilities that are of the magnitude of or need to visit home or have their family come more.. I guess dad works for airline so that could provide for that peice; but there's like 10 pieces! I just don't feel financially it would be at all doable for them!

I get JJ can do anything and conquer a brave new world.. But for anyone there's stages to independence.. For JJ out of HS doing anything means a cali uni close to home and maybe moving into his own apartment w family again within a hour.. Middle ground between Mya caring fo him forever like a big 10 year old and even though financially we're close to homeless; I am going to one of the most expensive schools in the country despite not knowing what AP stood for in HS

Kenneth said hid help JJ find and train new aides-meaing the show they still plan on a PCA attending every second of college w him?? Again, whose paying for that??? Colleges aren't required to provide that as High schools are. In high school the district would had covered a para doing school hours to help JJ use the bathroom and eat lunch. Colleges are not required to do such.. HS only need to pay Para's during school hours; Kenneth could also habe been a respite agency provider as well while JJ was in HS but w respite families only get a few hours a week or even a month. Again,who was paying Kenneth to practically live with them? They were paying for a nanny before rent; made no sense. And college-zero coverage for para's in class. Eddenborough is the only college I know of that offers disabled students paras; but there could very well be an extra fee for that.. I went to University of Arizona it supposed have one of the best programs for students w LD in the country, SALT, but if you get a spot and enroll, it's thousands extra a year on top of tuition and everything else..

Medicaid will pay for PCAs to shower/dress you but not all day to goto every class..

Helen Keller's family was wealthy in times when everything was cheaper-Demnne aren't; the Ann Sullivan archetype is really feasible for so few.

I was glad when JJ got rejected from his 1st choice and was looking at apartments in Cali-real, yay.. Oh last second you're off the wait list and going to NYU despite homelessness has been an actual threat to your family. You've failed to plan for the costs off all out of state NYU students; let alone the huge extra's
              of that many PCA hours.. And it's been brought up you're frequently in the hospital. OK you're in NYC, no family. really/
              am not saying going across the country to NYU isn't totally doable for someone severely disabled who doesn't have a wealthy family!! It just didn't seem to fit JJ's character for the reasons I spoke about; and would (again) require way move planning in many areas then just hey-snap on pants...

It seems JJ is not switching to a voice output device-why, IDK.. Even for safety.. No voice output seems absurd.. Like if it's like that why not just have a manual and be pushed everywhere? I really do not see difference.. If you want to talk to someone who you just met; how are they supposed to automatically know how to read? Or, someone doesn't want to talk to you but you are hoping for some info, you have more shot if you can project can I just ask one thing, real quick, please? They're not going to stand behind you to figure out how to read the weggie boards.. Using a weggie board as I call it; you need to have a PCA next to you all all all the time. Even if you do need a PCA all the time; why would you want them to have to always speak for you? Why want that for yourself or for them?? Hello, yourself personal space, safety, a little more independence. For them-hello, care-giver burnout it's always a concern! To me it makes no sense...

I am bummed though, but there's been more shows using disabled actors and I am hopeful it will continue.. Did you see Special on netflix? Only eight short episode's but the guy actually does have cp, it was done from his memoir..Soo..Sad rising numbers of cases equals a little more media depiction.. Mixed bag-I'd rather number of congenital diagnosis way decline, that's just me, though......
              Last edited by jul97; 07-13-2019, 07:53 PM.

Comment

YES: I agree JJ local or community college would totally fit his charecter; making a great movie that JJ waited till the last minute and then expected everyone else ti part the seas for him; including using a government building overnight-and principal comes into work and just laughs those wacky demaio's, how can I help?? First few class for all other students either cancelled or moved to the fields so you can keep could totally be accomplished by a 17 w severe cp!! But, not as a spur of the moment oh we're out of cereal lets run to the store...

I was happy his films weren't about disability-cool..

My thing is making a kick as film is probably only one of the many requirements for NYU; it's probably top of class, all AP classes and insane test scores; JJs charecter didn't seem anywhere near there as most kids aren't. My sibs and I-none of us were even close to Ivy material; that's fine..h

Even if JJ were surper academic NYU didn't seem to fit the demaio's financially at all!! They're having trouble keeping a two bdr house. Really, I don't think they'd be able to do it.. And, real, kids w disabilities that are of the magnitude of or need to visit home or have their family come more.. I guess dad works for airline so that could provide for that peice; but there's like 10 pieces! I just don't feel financially it would be at all doable for them!

I get JJ can do anything and conquer a brave new world.. But for anyone there's stages to independence.. For JJ out of HS doing anything means a cali uni close to home and maybe moving into his own apartment w family again within a hour.. Middle ground between Mya caring fo him forever like a big 10 year old and even though financially we're close to homeless; I am going to one of the most expensive schools in the country despite not knowing what AP stood for in HS

Kenneth said hid help JJ find and train new aides-meaing the show they still plan on a PCA attending every second of college w him?? Again, whose paying for that??? Colleges aren't required to provide that as High schools are. In high school the district would had covered a para doing school hours to help JJ use the bathroom and eat lunch. Colleges are not required to do such.. HS only need to pay Para's during school hours; Kenneth could also habe been a respite agency provider as well while JJ was in HS but w respite families only get a few hours a week or even a month. Again,who was paying Kenneth to practically live with them? They were paying for a nanny before rent; made no sense. And college-zero coverage for para's in class. Eddenborough is the only college I know of that offers disabled students paras; but there could very well be an extra fee for that.. I went to University of Arizona it supposed have one of the best programs for students w LD in the country, SALT, but if you get a spot and enroll, it's thousands extra a year on top of tuition and everything else..

Medicaid will pay for PCAs to shower/dress you but not all day to goto every class..

Helen Keller's family was wealthy in times when everything was cheaper-Demnne aren't; the Ann Sullivan archetype is really feasible for so few.

I was glad when JJ got rejected from his 1st choice and was looking at apartments in Cali-real, yay.. Oh last second you're off the wait list and going to NYU despite homelessness has been an actual threat to your family. You've failed to plan for the costs off all out of state NYU students; let alone the huge extra's
                of that many PCA hours.. And it's been brought up you're frequently in the hospital. OK you're in NYC, no family. really/
                am not saying going across the country to NYU isn't totally doable for someone severely disabled who doesn't have a wealthy family!! It just didn't seem to fit JJ's character for the reasons I spoke about; and would (again) require way move planning in many areas then just hey-snap on pants...

It seems JJ is not switching to a voice output device-why, IDK.. Even for safety.. No voice output seems absurd.. Like if it's like that why not just have a manual and be pushed everywhere? I really do not see difference.. If you want to talk to someone who you just met; how are they supposed to automatically know how to read? Or, someone doesn't want to talk to you but you are hoping for some info, you have more shot if you can project can I just ask one thing, real quick, please? They're not going to stand behind you to figure out how to read the weggie boards.. Using a weggie board as I call it; you need to have a PCA next to you all all all the time. Even if you do need a PCA all the time; why would you want them to have to always speak for you? Why want that for yourself or for them?? Hello, yourself personal space, safety, a little more independence. For them-hello, care-giver burnout it's always a concern! To me it makes no sense...

I am bummed though, but there's been more shows using disabled actors and I am hopeful it will continue.. Did you see Special on netflix? Only eight short episode's but the guy actually does have cp, it was done from his memoir..Soo..Sad rising numbers of cases equals a little more media depiction.. Mixed bag-I'd rather number of congenital diagnosis way decline, that's just me, though......
                Hi Jul,

Thanks again for your comments!

Exactly! I’v been to college and they are required to provide testing and some classroom accommodation but not a PCA. The closest I have seen to a PCA in college is able bodied lab partners for disabled students but most lab partners and note takers are fellow students who get paid by the college in the form of tuition stipend etc. As I mentioned earlier in the thread there was one story a few years ago in the news about a guy named “Nick Aster” who went through a legal battle with a college to have his PCA live in a dorm with him but the college didn’t want to allow it because they did not want to be held responsible should something bad happen to the disabled student or the PCA and, if I remember correctly, didn’t want to give the PCA a separate dorm room because they wanted the dorms to go to other tuition paying students. Eventually politicians stepped in and the PCA was allowed to stay in the dorm.

I have to wonder if the NYU plot was a minor reference to the real woman Brooke Ellison who was paralyzed from the neck down and attended Harvard by living with her mother as her own mother served as a PCA for her since Brooke became disabled age 11. But again with Brooke Ellison she had grades far beyond JJ’s and her mother had special permission to attend all her classes because Brooke was on a Ventilator and her mom knew best how to reconnect her vent should it pop off so it obviously was more life and death than JJ’s situation. The mother did mention caretaker burnout during Brooke’s college and that element was added to the movie “The Brooke Ellison Story”.

It’s a word board, not a weggie board but I get what you mean. Every disabled person I know would rather speak for themselves in some way and AAC should be depicted positively on TV. Yes the lack of AAC in NYC would be dangerous I.e campus rapes, language barriers etc. I know quite a few people live in NYC with PCAs statistically, by using SSI/SSDI to pay for the PCA and get health insurance and many disabled students use the public system of colleges in NY, but I think the public system is mostly used by local students who commute and is WAY cheaper than NYU. The only way JJ would have any hope of attending NYU financially, is if he did something amazing and got a full scholarship to NYU.

After your post mentioning Zack Anner I found this article Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... that has a decent scene between JJ and Zack Anner’s character that I had never seen before and I actually liked this scene because it reminds me of when I was young and first found disabled mentors/role models. I have no clue how I missed this episode.

No. Unfortunately I have not seen “Special” because I don’t use Netflix but all of my disabled friends who do have Netflix have seen it were raving about it. I heard the character was gay and had an overprotective mother, and pretended not to have Cerebral Palsy. The only complaint that I have seen about the show was that the memoir was called “Special and other lies we tell ourselves” and the disabled viewers wished the show had the same title as the book because they thought the word “Special” was “Inspiration P#rn”. Did you watch “Special”? What did you think?

CP numbers are about 1 in 323 or 1 in 500 depending on the source I look at so I don’t know the exact Cerebral Palsy numbers anymore. I don’t wish congenital diagnosis on anyone, but once the diagnosis is made it must be accepted and life can still be vibrant regardless.

If you don’t mind me asking, and forgive me if you told me before and I forgot, but do you work as a para now?
                Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-14-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

funnylegs4 and jul97 ~

When I started this thread, I had high hopes for “Speechless,” but as you know, I became disenchanted with it and stopped watching. Evidently, it didn’t improve, which is unfortunate.

funnylegs4 ~

I have Netflix and followed your recommendation today and watched “Special.”

It is produced by Jim Parsons ("The Big Bang Theory") and his husband.

While there are only 8 episodes, each lasting about 15 minutes, there’s a lot of story covered in that brief amount of time. By the end of the second episode, I had a fairly good idea about the essence of the characters, and each one continued to develop through the remaining episodes.

The primary conflict for the main character, Ryan, is using deception to gain the acceptance of others. He’s 28, still living with his mom, who has provided his care and is also a nurse. Ryan wants independence, to live on his own, have a job, a social life, and a boyfriend.

Mom is perceived as over-protective, a perception, with which many Moms of children with intense medical needs and disabilities are familiar. Of course, she is worried about him fending for himself. After all that he’d been through (eg., surgeries), she has difficulty letting go of him.

“Special” definitely deserves the MA rating (or R). There are a few sex scenes, one with nudity, which is fairly explicit.

I think that this series has potential, if it goes for a second season. The last two episodes certainly opened the avenue for a second season.

Love & Light,

Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi Jul,

Thanks again for your comments!

Exactly! I’v been to college and they are required to provide testing and some classroom accommodation but not a PCA. The closest I have seen to a PCA in college is able bodied lab partners for disabled students but most lab partners and note takers are fellow students who get paid by the college in the form of tuition stipend etc. As I mentioned earlier in the thread there was one story a few years ago in the news about a guy named “Nick Aster” who went through a legal battle with a college to have his PCA live in a dorm with him but the college didn’t want to allow it because they did not want to be held responsible should something bad happen to the disabled student or the PCA and, if I remember correctly, didn’t want to give the PCA a separate dorm room because they wanted the dorms to go to other tuition paying students. Eventually politicians stepped in and the PCA was allowed to stay in the dorm.

I have to wonder if the NYU plot was a minor reference to the real woman Brooke Ellison who was paralyzed from the neck down and attended Harvard by living with her mother as her own mother served as a PCA for her since Brooke became disabled age 11. But again with Brooke Ellison she had grades far beyond JJ’s and her mother had special permission to attend all her classes because Brooke was on a Ventilator and her mom knew best how to reconnect her vent should it pop off so it obviously was more life and death than JJ’s situation. The mother did mention caretaker burnout during Brooke’s college and that element was added to the movie “The Brooke Ellison Story”.

It’s a word board, not a weggie board but I get what you mean. Every disabled person I know would rather speak for themselves in some way and AAC should be depicted positively on TV. Yes the lack of AAC in NYC would be dangerous I.e campus rapes, language barriers etc. I know quite a few people live in NYC with PCAs statistically, by using SSI/SSDI to pay for the PCA and get health insurance and many disabled students use the public system of colleges in NY, but I think the public system is mostly used by local students who commute and is WAY cheaper than NYU. The only way JJ would have any hope of attending NYU financially, is if he did something amazing and got a full scholarship to NYU.

After your post mentioning Zack Anner I found this article Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... that has a decent scene between JJ and Zack Anner’s character that I had never seen before and I actually liked this scene because it reminds me of when I was young and first found disabled mentors/role models. I have no clue how I missed this episode.

No. Unfortunately I have not seen “Special” because I don’t use Netflix but all of my disabled friends who do have Netflix have seen it were raving about it. I heard the character was gay and had an overprotective mother, and pretended not to have Cerebral Palsy. The only complaint that I have seen about the show was that the memoir was called “Special and other lies we tell ourselves” and the disabled viewers wished the show had the same title as the book because they thought the word “Special” was “Inspiration P#rn”. Did you watch “Special”? What did you think?

CP numbers are about 1 in 323 or 1 in 500 depending on the source I look at so I don’t know the exact Cerebral Palsy numbers anymore. I don’t wish congenital diagnosis on anyone, but once the diagnosis is made it must be accepted and life can still be vibrant regardless.

If you don’t mind me asking, and forgive me if you told me before and I forgot, but do you work as a para now?
                    I LOVE the Brooke Elison and followed her as the movie came out-was excited to watch the premiere on A&E!! I am weird I like watching hospital stuff.. SO I'll still watch it from time to time on Youtube.. I love Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio! I LOVE that Chris Reeves directed it, I think or consulted on it.. I was so sad when he died and still am about the passing of Chris and Dana Reeves. Movie was made for Jul.. I love the Actress that played Booke, Lacey Chabret, being a huge Party of five fan!

I didn't know about that court case; happy they finally the person finally won!

Colleges, my experience, they're great w academic accommodations but not with helping you goto the tollette. I am kinda an expert on this because I wrote a book on college and career planning for the physical disabled....Only four colleges in the country have dorms with PCA programs; it used to be 7 but recently Berkely of all paces shut there's down I think in 2014.. And then this the end of this year Eddenborough announced they're contracting out PCA Services to a home health agency.. Eddenborough will still have more services for physical disabilities than most schools; but the way they're doing stuff is changing from like a model they invented-I think in the 70's

Both colleges I went to and graduated from the second one were great; they provided more then the law required. But I didn't need a PCA for basic care.. My ADL level sucks to me-but I can wear slip ons since I cannot tie shoes.. I am grateful I can goto the bathroom myself and shower myself.. I just don't always look the most put together due to hair/makeup skills are lacking. And, I don't eat the best due to all I can cook is microwave foods.. Sure, I could open a salad bag and eat that as a meal. I simply opt not to, I opt for the pop tart instead.. Non-disability related; I hate when people say too expensive to eat healthy. I disagree. You make choices, I am accountable for eating chicken nuggets not carrots or peta bread w humus.. I cannot cook or use utensils; but that being said there's healthier options that I am not seeking out

ADLs I am so thankful that I can manage myself-but, still frustrating and weird being on the line.. Like mostly I don't want help but even if I did want help to style hair or make a bunch of sandwiches to stick in the freezer-state won't cover it..I am in a grey area.. I am thankful I am doing ok and have family..

College for me was amazing, loved how colleges handled my needs for academic and minor accommodations to my dorm.. They were great as opposed to K-12 experience-that was an utter nightmare. Completely cause of the employee's of the district, kids were great! Adults sucked!

If you need PCA for dressing/showering and want to live on campus-there's really not a universal solution unfortunately!! Some go to one of the 4 schools in the country that have PCA programs. BUT I know for myself; I was relieved I didn't need that high of support level, cause the nearest school w a PCA program was 16 hours from home! I so so so didn't want to go that far away from my family/friends/house! It was also in an extremely cold climate-it didn't at all sound appealing to me.. Again, I was relieved when we realize one school college in my state really would work in terms of my disability and I wasn't getting shipped to siberia to a dorm that doubled as a hospital.. As I said, I am weird, I like hospitals, but I wanted range for my college experience!

Some students hire PCAs for just morning/night either w medicaid or a mixture of funding.. I knew people at both colleges who had PCAs come in. People rag-tag; one guy his roomate knew him before so roomate would get him in/out of bed. (I don't know if the guy got paid. I was so friendly to them both. Weird, they just never seemed to like me.. Long story) and then PCA few times a week to shower him, whatnot.. Other guys I knew twice daily PCAs in our dorm..

As I said I LOVE Brooke Ellision-but don't know if I'd done the same thing.. She had a little brother and her mom lived at Harvard w her; leaving a ten year old; well, mom is gone... IDK.,. I am not criticizing em.. Some levels it was a remarkable solution; just not for every family-for sure!! Middle School I would had LOVED my mom as my aide as opposed to the horrid woman I had.. But, while I love my mom's support, she cannot totally leave her life for me! I wouldn't want that!

Everyone's different!!

Special on Netfix: Ok, had some good lines.. But the guy a cp; I found him to be kinda a Jerk.. And he's mom-one thing was weird.. I don't want give spoilers; but, why not just tell your adult son the truth about your life? I don't get it.

Me a para; Ha-ha Nooo. I NEVER want to step foot in a public K-12 school ever again! I couldn't physically do the job of a para, that's fine, I would never want to..(I just had really horrible experiences w several when I was in school; grades 2nd thru 11th)No.. My sister was though in 2007 she said I got a job, we're now in a different state then we grew up in, so not the same district, as a Parapro. I was what is that? Oh ok. just a new word for school aide.. She did it to make sure she wanted to teach SPED; got that degree. Right now she's raising a 2 and a 5 year old. Her and her husband both don't want her to work full-time right now, cause he has to work all the time-he owns his own law practice.. He feels I cannot be there sometimes-I need to know you can. But when girls are older she'll do something.. Think she may sub next year occasionally just to keep current/foot in the door..

Cause of my ADL challenges; I either cannot have kids or chose not to; whatever way you want to see that-cool.. If I did have kids; I'd so want to home school-just don't agree w how K-12 schools operate for so so so many reasons.

I'd love to go back to college though for either a masters or PhD in Psych with the goal to either teach or do research at a college, not treat clients, due to impaired speech.. I'd so chose the academic track not the clinical one.. Funds are just not there for me to do that.. Long story..Got a business degree, couldn't find/hold a job.. if I were my parents-based on my track record; I wouldn't invest in a Physch PhD for me.. I want to be a professor but the only professors w a disability of my magnitude, do disability studies or SPED-maybe.. I couldn't care less about friggin disability studies or teaching SPED to college students.. .It's like yes, I know a professor w worse speech than mine-he teaches disability studies.. I've talked to my parents about all this. Soo..

Good 'talking' to you..

Here's a link to my book; I just re-released it!! (I have to upload an new file for the interior. I got my sample copy. Some minor fixes still needed. I am trying to get that file done this week. So, if anyone wants a copy-I'd wait a week before ordering; but you can see what it covers :-) )

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                    Last edited by jul97; 07-14-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Rose,

Yeah it’s too bad about Speechless. There were a few scenes that worked wonderfully but the good scenes were drowned out due to a bad logic in the show universe and bad subplots and childish gags.
                      Thanks for watching “Special”. Yes I heard the character was in a car accident or something of that nature and told people his Cerebral Palsy based limp was caused by the accident instead of CP. I know people with CP who do this kind of stuff in real life and find it irritating in real people when they are not honest about disability like Jul was saying. But I understand it is a personal choice to disclose. I completely understand overprotective parents. I know some disabled viewers didn’t like the mom and wanted a different type of mom character like a mom who wanted to kick him out of the house. I guess those viewers forgot this was based on a true story. I didn’t hear anything about a season 2 but it would be great if there was.

Hi Jul,

THANKS! I love Brooke Ellison and the movie about her too! I have “The Brooke Ellison Story” on DVD. I felt Christopher Reves directing and the real Brooke’s involvement with the script made the disability representation in the movie feel authentic despite the actress playing her being able bodied. The problem of leaving the younger kids was addressed in the movie, but I don’t remember the brother being 10. I thought he was older, like 15 when she left for college. I will watch anything medical.

I completely agree! I adored my college accommodation experience compared to IEPs because I finally had control over how and when accommodations were done and was treated with respect. My college was extremely accessible and aware of disability rights. They taught about disability in many classes in different fields. My college felt like home. I also plan to homeschool my future kids if current school system stays the way it is if/when I have kids. I was homeschooled myself after I couldn’t stomach my IEPs any longer(among other reasons). Yes I’m mentoring someone who is nervous about the bathroom issues in college as he basically only has use of one arm so its a big problem when he eventually gets to that stage of his life. I will recommend your book to him. I might have had you and your sister confused. Sorry!

I feel you. People often assume my academic interest is only in disability when its quite the opposite. I think in theory you could teach other fields besides disability studies with a disability. My campus had a lot of disabled professors who taught anthropology, sociology, biology etc. I wrote a film about one of my favorite disabled professors in my film “A Stroke Of Endurance” here Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... I think you could teach with limited speech by using AAC in class sort of like this Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... Some disabled professors at my college taught online classes exclusively to get around access barriers and when teaching online you never need to be able to speak. You just type to your class the way you are typing to me. Of course it depends on how open minded the college admin would be about hiring and accommodating disabled instructors. I heard one horror story where a disabled professor was NEVER paid for teaching a graduate level class. :( Some admins are very rigid. Students adapt to disabled instructors needs very quickly in my experience. I think online research and online data collecting would be great for you!

I will check out your book when I can! I’m so glad a book like this exists! Btw what do you mean by ADL, if you don’t mind me asking?
                      Last edited by funnylegs4; 07-15-2019, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X