Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: (OT) Windows 10

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default (OT) Windows 10

Windows 10 has a different way of providing updates. Maybe other versions of Windows since XP have been doing this and I wasn't aware of it. To me it's new.

Traditionally the updates would announce themselves as I shut the PC down at night. They'd take a while to install, then shut the PC off automatically, which I thought was civilized of them since I didn't have to wait around.

Now the updates are doing that but in the morning a person gets a surprise. Anyone remember the Blue Screen of Death? Now there's the Red Screen of Updating.

That was what greeted me this morning--a flaming red-orange screen announcing that more updating was going forward, and it helpfully added, "This may take a while."

"A while" was about an hour and a half and involved a few restarts.

I'm not knocking Windows 10. I'm really happy with the way it works. Some features are new to me. I'll adjust.

Does anyone have any comments about Windows 10 or whatever operating system you're using--pro or con?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Red face

I did the update to Windows 10 because they were getting on my nerves asking me all the time. This was when you could update to 10 for free, and they were saying only X number of days it will be free.

So I had it for 2 days. I hated the way email was set up, and the way news was laid out. A few other things I could get used to, but not those two things. So I went back to 8.1 which I have now, I know the system well, and have NO issues with it.

So tell Cortana I said hey!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Hello Joan!

I found this information for you: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/stop-win...ating-your-pc/

I like Windows 10, it just took a while to get used to. When I shut down my PC at might and it starts updating, I usually wait the time it takes and I restart my PC as soon as it shuts down, so it can finish updating. If it's taking longer than I want to wait, I go to bed. If it's a short time and I restart the PC and the finishing of the updating is taking longer than I want, I go to bed. Sometimes I will wake up at night and see it has finished updating and I shut down the PC. If it finishes while I'm asleep, the worst thing that happens is the PC is on until I get up.

I know how frustrating it is to wait for updating to finish in the morning when I want to get on my PC right away!

I hope this helps.

p.s. Howie! I shut down Cortana
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 09-09-2016 at 10:54 AM.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Thanks, #7!

It's good to know that I can intervene in this two-stage process. I didn't realize it was now a two-stage process and so it took me by surprise.

I'm always glad to get updates. It shows someone out there cares. What with computers being the complicated animals they are, I don't trust me with one. Its care and feeding requires professional attention now and then.

Didn't you like Cortana? I haven't got around to trying it yet but it looks a bit like the Siri I've seen people using. I ask Google search my questions and wouldn't use something like Siri, I don't think.
    Last edited by agate; 09-09-2016 at 11:51 AM.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I have never had even one concrete answer from Cortana. I don't think she and I are on very good terms.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

But she had a sexy voice!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate,

Siri is useless except for a couple of jokes.

My Mom has an LG phone. I think it has a Google operating system. Anyway, you say "Show me frogs" and it shows you frogs! I haven't found Siri able to do that and I have an Apple 6 plus.

And don't get me started on the Martian ear sticks (instead of headphones) for the 7's. Not wearing those!!

Here's your chocolate Virginia,
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 09-09-2016 at 07:34 PM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I've got Windows 10 and have had no issues with it. I've not experienced the orange screen, though, or the extremely long update process. I do have my computer set to update automatically as it is being used. Only occasionally have I turned it on to have it tell me it has to finish updating, and then it's only been for no more than a few minutes.
    Of all the microwave updates I've found 10 the easiest to adjust to.

As for cortana, I shut her off early, and just do my own searches. It only takes a couple of clicks at settings to do that.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

They want to control our lives... Muahahahaha!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This computer updates automatically too. That's what it was doing but it surprised me by doing so in two separate stages--one in the evening when I was shutting it down (I'm very used to that) but the rest of it came along the next morning when I turned it on.

It might have been because the computer is new and has to settle in. Like a new pet in the household, maybe. I can get along with computers if I just keep in mind that they're only glorified typewriters.

Yes, Windows 10 seems very user-friendly. I'm amazed at how so many problems fix themselves now! No more Dr. Watson or need for ScanDisk or DiskDefrag if anyone remembers those.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast