Possible down time for BT within 2 days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((((((Mike)))))) ~

Thank you very much for your generosity and kindness to keep BT afloat.

I'm still willing to assist.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I found this but it says "no fundraising available." Maybe donations could be sent to the address that is given though?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

I think that address is for What's his name who left us.
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
          I think that address is for What's his name who left us.
          You're probably right. Do I recall finding out that BT was no longer based in MA at all and is (possibly) on the West Coast, maybe CA?
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

No, I believe we are here in MA and supported by Dr Hoch. John Lester left us long ago and he was the one that I believe lived in Sommerville, MA. I don't know where the server is now.
            ANN
            Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-06-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Please count me in on the list of "I am willing to assist".
              Virginia

Comment

I forgot to add in my post. If how to get the money to them is a problem, I have a PayPal account and I could take care of that if Mike gives me the information. I am sure the above people would help out by paying me a little back each month. However, I do think we could keep it going if those of us who could would contribute a little. Mike, just let us know.
                Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                  I'm sure everyone here appreciates your efforts towards keeping this place up and running!

Some time ago we were told that we could help support BrainTalk by signing up for iGive and listing BrainTalk Communities Inc. so that places where we shop will donate to BrainTalk. I did that for a while but gave up on it when some problems with my computer made dealing with it difficult. I've just reactivated my account at iGive.

Over at iGive I'm told that I've raised $22 of the $99 raised for BrainTalk Communities. $77 must have been raised by other people who signed up with iGive.

Hardly a fortune but maybe every bit helps. There is a very long list of stores that participate, and the percentage donated varies from <1% to at least 12% of your purchases.

Unfortunately Amazon isn't among the listed stores but there are a jillion others.

I can't find any mention of iGive here on BrainTalk though. Maybe there's a sticky thread somewhere?

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Please just remove this post if iGive has turned out to be more trouble than it's worth for BrainTalk.
                  Pretty much gave up on iGive. I heard from too many people that it was either too difficult to use, or wouldn't work properly on their computer.
                  Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
                  Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
                  Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                  Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
                  Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
                  Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
                  Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
                    Is BT still a 501 C3 charitable organization? If so we could donate directly but we need to know how to make the check out and where to send it.

ANN
                    No, renewal of the 501c status was overlooked years ago

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
                    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                      According to the FAQ,

--And it's been around since 1993. That's 23 years! Isn't that a very long time for the Internet? Maybe BT could advertise itself as the neurology message board that has stood the test of time?
                      Hmmm that's the ancient FAQ, BT didn't refile for 501c when it was do a few years ago.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

We do appreciate everyone's willingness to help :) Dr. Hoch renewed his credit card and forgot to update the host with that information. All is good there for now :)

Braintalk is no longer based out of MA, it's in Baltimore now.

BT didn't renew it's 501c status a few years back, with all of the changes (and essentially the disbanding of) to the board of directors, it was no longer possible or needed. We are now just a public forum.

I just got notice that the server software has been updated. BT appears to be working just fine, but you may see errors here and there. They aren't all that important and can be ignored :) However if you encounter any problems please let us know right away. Be as detailed as possible, and if you can take a screen shot and post it.

Step 1 - log in

Comment

Thank you, Mike and the other angels responsible for fixing the problem.

Maybe the FAQ could be updated so that people like me who go looking for it are getting current info?

What you're saying, if I read it right, is that there's really no way anyone here can give money to help BT along. It's no longer a 501c, and you've given up on iGive. Or is there some way? It sounds to me as if some people genuinely want to contribute.

Comment

We do want to contribute and help to sustain ourselves each to our ability.
                            ANN
                            Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-09-2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Sounds like Dr. Hoch is funding it out of his own pocket, no institution behind him, with the support of Mike and a few other volunteers. So if you donate, it would not be something you could deduct on your taxes.

Somebody should go back and delete the references to charitable giving, and mass general, just so folks are clear.

I'm not suggesting we don't offer to contribute to help support it. Just trying to distill this flurry of information down to the basics.

Comment

hey everyone !

i use windows 10 on a dell computer on firefox browser.

yes, there was something strange going on with iGive for a few months, but that was several months ago. i have reinstalled iGive on my pc and it works great! not all places you shop at give donations to iGive, but so many do. amazon is the largest retailer online and they only give to 501(c)3 organizations. i use iGive all the time now with no probs and i get quarterly statements from them so i can check my purchases and make sure they were credited to iGive. also, if your donations by shopping through iGive don't add up to $25 in any quarter, the amount you have rolls over and over until you do have $25 for iGive to send a check out to your charity.

this set up is so easy that even i was able to do it by myself and i hate downloading stuff because i can never find where it saves the program, but windows 10 has made that easier.

so seriously, give iGive another try! Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

thanks for sharing and caring,
                                jeannie
                                Last edited by tic chick; 08-09-2016, 09:22 AM.
                                WE ARE BT!
                                "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
                                "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
                                "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Comment

Working...
                                X