Thread: Child with cerebral palsy

Default Child with cerebral palsy

I have heard that cerebral palsy is happening during birth. In a blog I recently read they have explained about this birth injury. If it happened due to doctor's mistake, then this comes under the category of medical malpractice. My friend's son has the same problem. They are really in a trouble as they don't have enough money to treat him well. He is 8 years now. Is there any benefits if we try for a medical claim for his treatment?
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 05-26-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: I'm sorry, but you can't post links until your 11th post :)

2. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Here's something I wrote in another thread to a parent of a son with CP that may help you

This is the only site with legal info I know off the top of my head http://cpfamilynetwork.org/legal-rights-and-help/
    Cerebral Palsy can certainly be caused by a birth injury but it can also be caused by many other things. CP doesn't automatically mean a doctor has done something wrong. Cerebral Palsy is NOT genetic. However people can have genetic risk factors that can partly lead to Cerebral Palsy. I heard once that Cerebral Palsy is caused in part by genetic risk factors about 2% of the time. These genetic risk factors have to do with the Corpus Collusm or Cerebellum part of the brain being underdeveloped(premature birth), or often involve blood vessels so the cause of the CP in these cases is usually a brain bleed or blood clot like a stroke. Is your son premature? It can be caused by issues with blood flow during pregnancy which is usually not noticed until the child is a toddler. I have also heard of 2 people in the same family having CP if they are twins and the blood flow to the twins' brains in the womb is not good. If you are going the legal root you need to know these kinds of facts as well. Here is a description of Cerebral Palsy from my website where I make films about people with CP, that may help you understand CP further.

Many of the characters in my films have Cerebral Palsy. Cerebral Palsy (often shortened to "CP") is a brain injury that happens before, during, or shortly after birth. It can be caused by lack of oxygen to the brain or conditions such as a fetal brain hemorrhage, which is similar to a stroke, but in most cases the reason for the brain damage is unknown. Cerebral Palsy affects the motor areas of the brain in a vast amount of ways depending on where the damage in the brain occurs. It usually causes the muscles to be too tight (spastic) or too loose because the brain signals are constantly being misfired throughout the person's entire life. The misfiring can lead to issues with balancing, coordination, speech, proprioception, body alignment, and even a life long retaining of certain infant reflexes such as the Moro Reflex. The Moro Reflex is the startle reflex in babies and usually disappears when the baby is under 6 months of age but people with CP can have this reflex as children and adults. It is essentially a built in pre programed fear of falling. CP can affect one side of the body (called hemiplegia) or both sides of the body. Every case of Cerebral Palsy is unique and can range from being so mild that it is almost unnoticeable to being so severe that the person uses a wheelchair full time. The above information can be found on my website here as a link here as well http://www.cripvideoproductions.com/about.php
    As far as I know yes you can get legal compensation(money) if you can prove the doctor has not done his job. However it may also be a costly process for the parents to sue the doc. Can your friend apply for government benefits to help with treatment? Some people get government grants for CP therapies and accommodations.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/cripsnotcreeps.php

Quote Originally Posted by marvinelam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have heard that cerebral palsy is happening during birth. In a blog I recently read they have explained about this birth injury. If it happened due to doctor's mistake, then this comes under the category of medical malpractice. My friend's son has the same problem. They are really in a trouble as they don't have enough money to treat him well. He is 8 years now. Is there any benefits if we try for a medical claim for his treatment?
    Definitely you will get benefits if you have those medical records with you. There are several law firms like Sommers & Roth Professional Corporation in Toronto who has specialization in handling birth related injuries. So consult one good lawyer, you will get compensation to treat that child.

5. The following user says "thanks"