Thread: We're Living Longer!

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Default We're Living Longer!

Mult Scler. 2016 Feb 19. pii: 1352458516634871. [Epub ahead of print]

Aging and multiple sclerosis.

Sanai SA1, Saini V2, Benedict RH2, Zivadinov R2, Teter BE3, Ramanathan M2, Weinstock-Guttman B4.

Abstract
    The life expectancy and average age of persons with multiple sclerosis (MS) have increased significantly during the last two decades. The introduction of disease-modifying therapies and a better delineation and understanding of the superimposed comorbidities often diagnosed in MS patients are probably the most important factors accountable for the increase in aging MS population worldwide.

Healthcare teams must therefore address the problems arising due to advancing age superimposed on this chronic neurologic disease. In this review, we focus on the physiology of aging, its effects on MS disease course, and the pathological and immunological changes associated with aging and disease progression.

Additionally, we discuss the common comorbidities that occur in aging persons with MS that may arise either as a result of the aging process or from relentless chronic MS disease progression as well as the challenges on differentiating the two processes for a more appropriate therapeutic approach.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26895718

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Suze, thanks for posting this. I think we definitely have a lot of older people with MS. Don't know if it is due to drugs keeping us alive or just simply that it use to go undiagnosed. If it was undiagnosed then I don't see how anyone would know what to call all that we go through. I see such a huge difference now that I am getting older.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

She stands and raises her hand. Thanks Suze and UNfortunately
    yes, it's true. Grrrrrrr!
    !
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 02-22-2016 at 06:05 AM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"