Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 626465152535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: OT Lazy Cooking with Cat!

Distinguished Community Member Sunshine's Avatar

Sounds yummy. I roast all my veggies. Squeeze a bit of lemon on it before roasting. It brightens the flavor.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

[QUOTE=Lazarus;72969]I started buying cut butternut squash and then I quarter several onions and mix both veggies with oil, salt, pepper and dried oregano. Space it in one layer on a cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 25 minutes...turn the pieces and bake 25 minutes more. Roasting the squash makes it so sweet!

Since I put it on parchment paper there is no cleanup![./QUOTE]

This is great to do with sweet potatoes or russests, or baking potatoes, too. You can mix up the seasonings: I like Roasemary, or cumin, or basil and oregano, for example.

4. The following 7 users say "thanks"

stillstANNding, you are so fast. I fixed the green bean and potato soup today and I forgot to do any of it ahead of time. You said it took you 30 min. It took me well over an hour. By the time I got everything out, peeled the potatoes and cubed them, then broke the ends off the green beans (also I just snaped them because I forgot to cut them on the slant). Then I measured the olive oil out. I did sit down to cut the garlic. I really messed up with the garlic. I just grabbed a whole garlic while I was in the grocery and it was totally dried out. I did the best I could with it, but I could not taste any of it in the green beans. Also, I might have over browned it.

So, I will have the beans and potatoes left over tomorrow with some meatloaf that was in the freezer.

I definitely will make the green beans and potatoes again. I will be careful about buying the garlic. Also, the green beans were not very pretty ones. But they will look better in another month or so and I will get more.

Still don't see how you did it in 30 minutes.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Sorry it wasn't as tasty as you'd hoped, Virginia.

I so hate spending a ton of time and exertion on something, looked so forward to it, only to have it not meet my taste bud's expectations. I can't tell you how many times I've gone hungry because dinner tasted like crud, and I just didn't have the energy to make something else. Not saying yours tasted like that, I just don't have the Martha Stewart touch.

Hopefully, your meal tomorrow will make up for it!

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

You can buy green beans pre-trimmed and ready to steam. No one says you can't use them in soup instead.

Regarding the garlic, I saw a plastic bag of whole peeled garlic cloves in the fresh vegetable bins that are refrigerated against a wall. Those would just need sliced.

The potatoes could be switched w very clean Yukons. Just wash them and chopped them up, skin on.

I hope these short cuts help.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

There are lots of veggies already cleaned -- potatoes, onions, green beans -- in the frozen veggie aisles. And garlic can be gotten already minced, in jars, usually somewhere near the produce section. All of these work just fine in a soup -- you'd just not have to cook it as long. I use bags of frozen veggies in stew all the time. Of course you can leave out the garlic if you want..while it might enhance the flavor, it is not necessary to the recipe.

We eat a lot of veggies -- I do a lot of stir fry -- but of course I'm already sitting in a chair, so preparing them (cutting, chopping) already is done from a seated position.

I made salmon pie for lunch today: A large (14-/12 oz) can of salmon, a can of tuna (water drained), 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, one small onion, diced, basil, salt, pepper. Stir together, put in a buttered pie plate. Top with a Pillsbury already-made crust. Slice through the crust on top. Bake 425 degrees about 30 minutes, or until brown. You can add stuff -- celery, or broccoli, or carrot == to the mix, if you want. :)

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ann, I will look for the already trimmed green beans and the garlic cloves that are already peeled. I do want to make this again. I think I overcooked it a little. You know how we Southerners are - we always overcook our green beans. I had already cooked the potatoes a little. I probably need to put them in at about the same time since I cook green beans longer.

Thanks for the short cut suggestions.

Cat, this was a special recipe and I was trying to go exactly by what it said. I do use frozen soup vegetables in my hamburger soup and it is great.

Suze-Q, I will enjoy this with my meatloaf I promise. It wasn't bad. I just knew that due to getting overtired and then brain fog I had done some things wrong.
    Virginia

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Bumping this up, so I will not have to looking for it!
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ann, made your green beans and potato soup again today and it was good. I had bought some Bertolli extra light olive oil to make some mayonnaise earlier in the week and decided I would try that instead of the regular extra virgin olive oil that I normally use. I like it better, but it cost quite a bit more. I sliced my own garlic again and even cut the green beans with a knife.
    Virginia

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Virginia, good going! That soup will taste even better tomorrow.

Anyone have a recipe for a soup w a lot of ginger root? Cat? Linda?
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 56 of 61 FirstFirst ... 626465152535455565758596061 LastLast