Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tecfidera TV commercial

Distinguished Community Member

Default Tecfidera TV commercial

This irritates me. It gives a false idea of MS.

What do you think?

http://www.ispot.tv/ad/AYGn/tecfider...iple-sclerosis

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I totally agree Ann. Every time I see a Tecfidera add I get mad. There are so many of them on TV now and I find that they all give a false sense of what MS is. Some people might like this, but I do not. If they must do these adds, then they could at least make some of the people appear to be just ordinary people who have MS. The people in all their adds seem to make MS look almost like fun to have.
    Last edited by Virginia; 11-05-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

It's not just Techfidera ads that make it seem like the disease or disorder they're prescribed for is a "minor inconvenience". They all are like that. Diabetes, chrones, heart disease, you name it, if you just take this exhorbitantly priced drug, with these side effects that take longer to list than the ingredients in the drug itself, and some of which can kill you in ugly ways, then you'll be cured!!! Or in our case, apparently able to run marathons, or bike the Appalachian trail, or climb the nearest mountain.

I'm pretty sure that the tecfidera folks won't be rushing to my nursing home door to film me taking their drug, while hooked to a catheter, a wound vac, an antibiotic iv, a colostomy pouch filled with gas waiting to be burped, unable to move my left leg, only minimally able to use my right. No, they'll post their "pretty ads", make gobs of money before their patent runs out, and then who knows ... close down?

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Totally annoys me. Implies that it works far better than it does by using the bouncy, busy, healthy woman in the wonderful lifestyle and socio-economic range who doesn't even have MS.

Guess if you're making that much money off of us, might as well spend some of it on a flashy, unreal commercial to attract even more of us.

Although, I wonder whether the fact that they are advertising at all means they have a disappointing # of consumers so far? Maybe pill form didn't bring in as many of us as they expected?

Does people with MS a disservice, IMO. I dare them to put the pricetag for their little bouncy drug in their ad...

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Drug companies rely heavily on advertising, as we know.

The MS drug ads like this one are marketing hope, aren't they? Everyone with MS hopes to be able to keep on being normal, and the drug company wants us to think that with their drug we can be not just normal but deliriously happy and attractive as all get-out too. Young and with one of those fresh-from-the-orthodonist smiles! With a perky hairdo and executing a perfect dive (no bellyflops here!). Sunshine follows this lassie everywhere she goes!

SuzEQ, looks as if you're right about the advertising blitz and a disappointing showing for Tecfidera lately:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/biogen-s...ess-1437736648

Biogen seems to dominate the MS drug market, but Biogen also puts on a powerful advertising campaign. I still get e-mails promoting "Oceans of Hope," for instance.

I object to this ad. It's one thing to put out a glossy ad for a toothpaste or a shampoo and make it look as if you'll look like a movie star if you use their product, but we're talking about a drug for a serious and baffling disease. I wish Biogen and the other drug companies would stop trying to sugarcoat the situation.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member nuthatch's Avatar

Well, well, well! Lets face it, drugs make everything great and money really isn't an issue either! That's why she has such bounce in her step! The woman in the commercial is just a typical MS patient . . . excuse my sarcasm.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, well, well! Lets face it, drugs make everything great and money really isn't an issue either! That's why she has such bounce in her step! The woman in the commercial is just a typical MS patient . . . excuse my sarcasm.
    And besides you cant be sick you.look.so.good!

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

I can't say anything but WT$ is the drug people thinking,, you guys said exactly what I say,,
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I mentioned the e-mails I get about "Oceans of Hope," the "Sailing Sclerosis" project "partnered" by Biogen. We discussed it a while back here. I just got another e-mail:

http://us8.campaign-archive1.com/?u=...9&e=b7a43a156b
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jen's Solitude's Avatar

I get so irritated when that commercial comes on that I turn the channel. Seems like the commercial is running constantly these days so the remote is getting quite a work out. I was about to start taking it when I was reminded by one of their magazine advertisements about PML. I asked their telephone representative about it and she couldn't give me a satisfactory answer about it so I told her I changed my mind and was no longer considering it. The information my neurologist gave me didn't even mention the PML danger seems illegal to me that they leave it out in some instances but include it in others. They gloss over it in the TV ad as well.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast