New Here - need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Here - need help

Please help - my partner is suffering from Gluten sensitivity. She is very frustrated at the lack of things she can eat, I am her caregiver, we are both disabled and need help with the type of doctor she should see, most we have seen - we'll we leave it at that since if I cannot say something nice , I say nothing at all. any help at all -what doctor to see, where she can go to get recopies that are gluten free, she does not feel she can eat anything but chicken, rice a very few foods as her bowels and stomach do not react well to a lot of things. I have been around these forums for many years and know what kind people are here good ,caring people - a few may recognize my handle, alex44 from other forums. any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I can and will cook for her - I have cooked in resturants before, but this is all new to me. It is affecting our relationship of twenty five years and I am doing my best.
    Thank you
    Alex44
    Skypilot

As far as what dr. I would say a GI dr. That's who has helped my celiac daughter. Also a nutritionist could be helpful. I'm not sure where you live or what other dietary restrictions your friend has but there are a lot of Gluten free and dairy free options out there. Things are labeled much better that they used to be also. What kind of foods does your friend like to eat and what does she miss eating. These are some questions that may help others here help out with dietary suggestions.
    Mary Grace

Comment

((((((Alex)))))) ~

This forum was active for awhile not too long ago, when a group of folks joined here after another gluten-free forum they used closed. (I think that's what happened.) But it hasn't seen a lot of activity for most of this year, so I wonder if these folks may have found another forum. I'm only mentioning this, so that you don't feel ignored, if you don't get a lot of responses.

Mary Grace gave you great suggestions, of course. A GI doc and a nutritionist would be the best medical support. I would also suggest that you Google "gluten-free," and "celiac disease" to see what is available on the internet. I'm sure that there are lots of diets and recipes on the 'net. And support groups, whose forums you can browse (like this one ... go through the posts on this forum to see if there is anything here helpful to you and your partner).

Fresh veggies and fruit are pretty safe, unless your partner has allergies to any of them. There are seeds and grains, which aren't wheat, which can take the place of wheat. Flax, chia, quinoa. Take time with your partner to explore the internet and see what is out there, find some tasty recipes and try them together.

You two have a lot to deal with individually, so be patient with each other, and work together to help solve both of your issues and bring you to a healthy state.

Love & Light,

Rose
      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi alex44 AKA skypilot,
        The user name skypilot is familiar to me but I'm sorry I can't recall anything else!

I happened to see your thread although I'm usually at the MS board. I don't know much about the gluten-free diet or celiac disease but this looks like good information:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

To all the wonderful people who gave such good information - THANK YOU. We are still transitioning ( I am going Gluten free also and will probably be the main cook now. Yes, we do have a lot on our plate, and it takes work sometimes to be patient with each other, but after twenty five years together, Love conquers all. One of the hardest things for us is cost. anything prepared already is expensive. Our solution is to save up for a food processor / and or yard sales and get some cookbooks and go from there. Agate. thank you for rhe wonderful link to the gluten info. Your handle sounds familiar also. Were you ever around the C/P forum? I use Skypilot at the end as I am an Ordained Minister. Hope this finds everyone well.
          Alex44
          Skypilot

Comment

((((((Alex)))))) ~

You don't need to buy cookbooks ~ you have the internet!

Here's a link for Super Bowl goodies, which was contained in a post right here on this forum:

And here are the results of a Google search for gluten free recipes:

Let your fingers do the walking! Tons of information and recipes on the internet for gluten-free diets.

And while you're at it, search for food processors to see what's available and the costs for each brand.

Happy searching and healthy eating to you and your partner!

Love & Light,

Rose
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Alex, Gf is a little overwhelming at first but we've been doing it for almost 5 years. Well my daughter has anyway. Prepared foods can be very expensive. Do you have an Aldi's they have a great inexpensive line of GF food. Also Big Lots and Christmas Tree shop has some GF options sometimes. I do a lot of preparing ahead of time and freezing things for my daughter. The labeling of GF is getting much better to make it easier I just look for the GF label instead of trying to decipher the ingredients. Many good pastas, crackers, chips, baking mixes for pancakes, pasta sauces, Zatarans brand makes a great boxed rice some of which are GF, Of course all the fresh meats are GF. There are some great pizza crusts which are cheaper than buying a frozen GF pizza they're outragousley priced. Wehaven't found a real tasty bread but my daughter loves to scoop with chips and crackers ,chicken salad tuna salad and egg salad. I usually make and freeze some pasta or rice dishes with veggies and chicken. Perdue makes a great frozen chicken tender, Simply Smart they're called. Lean Cousine makes a couple of GF TV dinners that are reasonable. Dinosaur BBQ sauces are great on chicken in the crock pot or baked. I hope some of this helps you get started
              Mary Grace

Comment

Agate. thank you for rhe wonderful link to the gluten info. Your handle sounds familiar also. Were you ever around the C/P forum?
                I can't recall using the C/P forum but occasionally have posted in a couple of other forums here in addition to the MS one.

mg10261 mentioned Zatarain's boxed rice dinners--I really like them too.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

We are adjusting slowly but it is a challenge - we got the Gluten free gourmet by somebody famous - simple easy recipes - as I have said, I have been a baker and a cook so happy to eat healthier and take good care of my partner. Hope this finds everyone well, Thank all of you for the links (which we are using)
                  Blessings
                  Alex44
                  Skypilot - we will also pass on tips as we learn
                  them.

Comment

Working...
                  X