Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: Sally, come home!

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Sally, just you having that necklace now makes me feel better. Anyone have any info on if Medicaid, will pay the whole part of it, or the most part? I have no contact with anyone unless it's by phone, and having that Medic-Alert seems like a good idea.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

SALLY

So very grateful you are back and doing better. You have no idea what we went through trying to find out if you were OK. Perhaps sending a couple of us DD or DSS phones or emails would be in order?

How can we, as your Community, help you going forward?

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks all. I don't know Cherie, I seem to be in a hole right now. I am better at the transfering scooter potty thing now and trying to keep that going and the pain thing is not so bad. I have Acid Reflux and possibly Gerd that's not being properly treated.

I feel like everyone dumped me here at home and is saying, OK already, get back to normal so that we can. I'm still a sick Mom and still need help. I need to see my DR and get properly medicated. I can't eat as it gets stuck and makes me throw up.

What do I do?
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 08-18-2015 at 04:47 PM.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Time for a doctor change, or an added doctor who can handle digestive problems. Don't suffer needlessly!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Well Howie I haven't been to see my DR since I've been out of rehab. They have a Dr on duty at Rehab and it's up to me to make an appointment with my PCP. How do I get there?
    Last edited by SalpalSally; 08-18-2015 at 04:52 PM.
    Love, Sally

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

Neuro needs to order swallowing study I would think. Perhaps "Thick It" added to liquids and solids blenderized would help. Do you have aides coming in to help with personal care or housework?

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

No help here!!
    Love, Sally

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

You need homecare, Sally! The hospital there (or your pcp) must have the phone # to set it up. You shouldn't have been released without a social worker ensuring you were good to go home independently.

I've actually taken to sucking down a package of baby food for nutrition, they mix and puree all kinds of veggie/fruit combos...they're quite tasty. This, to supplement my food, but it's an easy and fast way yo get some fruit and veggies. That, and meal replacement drinks help and ease digestion issues. Do you have food delivery there in some supermarkets?

Glad you have the alert necklace now!

16. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm partial to yogurt, scrambled eggs, and applesauce at times when eating is a problem. I don't know if any of those would work with GERD though--it's a special case, I think.

Sally, if you're able to get on the phone, there may be a hospital social worker who can make the necessary calls for you in order to line up some at-home help. Most hospitals have these people and one of them should have been in contact with you before you left the rehab place as well. There are visiting nurses and household-help aides who can be lined up. Some of them will fix meals and give aid in feeding, etc.

Howie, in WA state and probably in at least some other states Medicaid does cover a personal emergency response system (sometimes called Lifeline)--the button you wear on a pendant or a wristlet, and if you press it, someone comes on the speakerphone that is also part of the arrangement and asks if you need help. If you do they dial whatever number you have arranged for them to call, usually 911. They have some information about you on file (your doctor's name and number, a contact person or two, etc.).

MedicAlert is actually something else. It's the name of a company that has ID bracelets (or pendants) for sale but these don't have a button to press. It's a little metal thing you wear. On one side of it is engraved some information about you that paramedics might find helpful. Mine mentions MS and diabetes and gives my blood type. There's also an 800 number that can be called for more information, including my doctor's phone number.

Supposedly if you're out cold, the paramedics will think to look for a MedicAlert tag and see if you're allergic to any particular medicines or have a condition they should be aware of.

http://www.medicalert.org/

Sally, you have no way of getting to a doctor's appointment? There are no taxis? I don't know about the area you're in but here (in this town of about 500,000) a lift-equiped taxi is just like any other taxi--costs a bit more and you request it but they do show up. Doctors' offices and clinics will probably call a taxi for you when you're ready to go home too if you want.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

18. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sally,
    You have gotten a lot of good information here. Sounds like you need someone who will pay attention and make phone calls to the right places for you. Just make one call to start things...to the rehab center you left or to your pcp's office. I call mine and talk to my pcp's nurse when I need direction.

I am so glad that Cherie asked if you needed anything. That was an important question since it started you talking! Now, keep talking.
    Linda
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast