Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muscle injuries & MS

Default Muscle injuries & MS

Anyone know if the 'experts' have made a connection between slowness to heal from muscle injuries when MS is present? Anyone have experience with that personally?

I've been suffering from a severe strain in calf & tendon muscles which has triggered spasticity in *all* the muscles in both legs and the doctors & PT are at a loss to figure out why I'm taking so long to heal & why the muscles are sooo reactive with even the slightest of activity. The original incident that caused the strain was minimal, yet I'm 3 months out and not much improvement. The PT isn't sure but wonders if MS spasticity is preventing the muscles from healing normally. Just wondered if anyone else has ever gone through such an experience - this is the 3rd time in the 14 years I've had MS that this has happened. Healing of the muscles involved did eventually happen but took months! (Being a Type A doesn't help either I suppose

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll be on the lookout for anything on this. It figures that muscle injuries would take longer to heal. If the nerves aren't getting their signals because transmission is delay due to myelin damage or loss, wouldn't muscles be sluggish as a result?
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Hi--
    I use a site called Active MSers...I will copy your question and post it there and show you any responses I get.

P.s....I did just post your question.
    Last edited by Lazarus; 06-30-2015 at 09:42 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

[Decided to delete and start new thread]
    Last edited by Parsi; 07-01-2015 at 04:27 AM.

8. The following user says "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar

Hi..
    I got two replies from the "Active MSers" site is sometimes use. The first was simply being sweet and the second responder had some great information.

Yesterday, 04:38 PM
    myoak

Sorry I have no experience or knowledge to offer on the topic but wanted to acknowledge your post as interesting in hope that someone can respond better than I.

Today, 04:10 PM
    Suebee

Hi. I broke a toe badly and my spasticity kept flexing the broken toe. It was awful. I had to be really careful about triggers, such as fatigue, doing too much standing, and heat. I also used and still use calcium magnesium and zinc tablets when spasticity is acting up and it provides me significant relief. I use nature made with tablet containing 333mg calcium 133 mg magnesium and 5 mg zinc. I need 3 tablets to help reduce spasticity. One of my dr recommended quinine, however, it slows the process of medications through your liver, and therefore I recommend only using with dr supervision because of possibility of causing toxicity. I thought the calcium magnesium zinc tablets work better anyhow. Best of luck. Suebee
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I don't know about the quinine idea either. You're not supposed to take it if you have optic neuritis, for instance. It's a pretty strong drug used mainly against malaria. I've never heard of it for spasticity but there are lots of things I've never heard of.

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/quinine.html

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar

Smile

:) A bar of Ivory Soap under the sheet wil stop cramps. I've had a bar in my bed several years. It works. The few times I have had cramps the bar got left off the bed. JeamieZ :)

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Well, I think in all the MS doesn't help but that much more is going on. Age doesn't help either! I'm in a lot of pain and not improving after two months. It looks like an orthopedic doctor will have to be consulted - though I've been to my doctor twice and a GP specializing in ortho. Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your help & efforts. I guess it's possible muscles weakened by MS would tear or strain more easily - complicating recovery - but not sure there's any hard and fast answer. Thanks again, take care everyone!

selkie

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

selkie, it sounds as if you're caught up in a cycle where the continuing spasticity is slowing down the healing of the injury. With spasticity the muscles are doing things they shouldn't be doing. That can't be easy on muscles that are trying to heal. If you can find a way of getting the spasticity to calm down, that would probably help. There are some drugs that help spasticity. Have you tried asking your doctor about them?

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I do currently take 30 mg of Baclofen per day & have a script of Soma 350 mg I can take 3 a day if needed. Doc did say I could up the Baclofen but in the past I've had unpleasant side effects from that drug. The injury does feel entirely different from the MS spasms but I suppose (and my PT also wondered) if the MS is causing the muscles to be over-reactive? It seems to have been the case in the past with a couple of injuries I had. This crazy disease! It's discouraging because I'd been exercising regularly and now I'm losing all I've gained - can't even do the gentlest rehab exercises without triggering the injury pain. The PT (and the drs) are kind of at a loss.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast