Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure if I have found any of the old timers here but.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

((((((Dave)))))) ~

I'm so glad that my words comforted you. I have too much experience with profound grief, and I know how debilitating it can be. We have to strive for balance between feeling our grief and finding our coping tools. The worst thing we can do is stuff down our feelings, hold back our tears, and pretend that we're okay.

Because we're not okay, especially when our grief is fresh and raw. We need time to work through our grief, to identify ways to heal and to find peace with our grief.

Your initial reaction is so common in grieving. "If only I'd done this, said that, been there ..." Those recriminations and guilt will not bring back our loved one, and our loved one wouldn't want us to blame ourselves. Again, if the roles were reversed, I wouldn't want my loved ones to blame themselves.

So, we need to work on letting that go, in order to move forward. You're right, "it was not to be."

Be gentle with yourself, and give yourself time to recover from the shock of losing your dear friend.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, Dave.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by HellBoundTroll View Post
      Rose:

Your note is sheer poetry and wisdom all woven together in a beautiful tapestry.

I sincerely appreciate the substantial time and effort you put forth to write to me -- a person you do not even know.

Your words are a fantastic help.

When I heard about the death, I wanted somehow to make it not so, as though somehow maybe I could have said or done the one thing that would have turned him onto a different, brighter path. Tell him what a beautiful gift he had, had always had.

But that was not to be. I still feel as if all the air has "whoosed" out of the world, leaving me gasping. That is a very distressing feeling, but you have helped make it bearable.

Again, my heartfelt thank you.
      dave
      I'm sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is when you want to be able to change how things turned out but I can tell you these feelings become less intense as time goes on.
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Older member here looking for longtime buddies. Anyone seen Frost in a while? Waves hi to Dinkie and the others.

Comment

((((((Aeryn))))))

BACK!

I'm not an "official" member of this forum (my home forum is Child Neurology), but I've been a BT member for 17 years. As you can see, occasionally folks do stop by here to say "hello." Unfortunately, they don't come back very often.

How long has it been since you've visited here? And what brings you back?

I hope other former members will take a peek every now and then and see your posts and reply to you.

Love & Light,

Rose
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Another one who is from another forum (MS) but back around 2001 or 2002 I hung out at Spinal Disorders for a while, figuring that MS was a sort of spinal disorder.

I registered on this BrainTalk (MGH) Website in 2001.

It's always nice when people return.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Evertytime I duck back here, it is a gamble if I will remember my password. So far, so good.

Nothing really new. Still dealing with depression, chronic pain and all those all beasts, which I know that a lot of you deal with on a more personal level than I. I try to remember that and push it all aside. Wallowing in that, while easy, does not do me any good.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes not.

Again, thinking back to the old days with maybe a dozen or so posters, we all knew each other and could kid each other with no issues. If I said something to "squiggly deb" she would push right back at me. It was a bit fun.

Then the big shift to the new fancy forums and a 500 percent increase in members and posts and then -- the crash. Seems strange that a community can reach such a peak and then crash and burn. I think it just got too big and people were unable to trust or believe half of what was posted and had no real handle on who was who.

There was also a lot of "noise" that drowned out some of the real posts seeking help. I pushed hard for a "off-topic subsection," and that eventually came about, but I think too late.

Also, forum outages became more and more frequent and long-lasting. Oldtimers left (for good reason) and many of the posts remaining were hateful, a fair percentage were whiney and some were well, rambles -- like most of mine.

What can I say. I pretty much use these infrequent posts now as a bit of therapy -- talking to myself if you will.

Rose is a treasure here and hope you all appreciate her!

Anyway, I am doing as well as can be expected. Still <mostly> sober. Still <mostly> lonely except for my extra-special black lab dog. If I did not have her, I know I would not take the daily 3-5 mile walks she demands.

I suppose I could find a new relationship -- a few folks at work have tried to set me up -- but -- not in the mood to tolerate those games anymore.

My best,
              dave
              Last edited by HellBoundTroll; 03-26-2018, 12:12 PM.

Comment

((((((Dave)))))) ~

It's always great to see you here, Dave. I'm glad that you stop by occasionally. Since you find posting therapeutic, perhaps you should post more often!

Aww ... thank you for the compliment, Dave. I'm just returning the gift of love and support that I've found at BrainTalk for the past 18 years.

What caused the downfall of BrainTalk was the abandonment of it by its creator, John Lester. We haven't had a crash for many years, since our new administrators took over.

And, of course, social media came on the scene, and lots of folks chose that path.

I'm happy that you are feeling as "well as can be expected." And so glad that you have your sweet dog as a companion and motivator to get out to walk!

When you least expect it, someone really special comes into your life. It happened to me. My husband was my son's school bus driver and literally drove right up to our door. You never know what is around the corner. Don't avoid the corners, Dave. Love might be waiting there.

Be well and stay strong. And stop by more often!

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Hey All,
                  I was here in a looong time ago. Since then I've had two discectomies each, cervical and lumbar plus I just had cervical disc replacement c-5/6 in Feb. Best thing ever. Most of my left sided pain is gone and I can turn my head to the left again. Now if the fibromyalgia will mellow out I'll be good to go. Cannabis has been a life saver since they took my meds away. I'm hoping to use Cannabis only so no one can take it away. Nice to see some "oldies but goodies" especially Alex
                  If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
                  DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
                  Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

Comment

Ekk.

Nearly got banned. I was on my fourth password attempt.

A glutton for punishment. I now have a wild black lab dog and two wild golden "deceiver" puppies.

The energy level here is high. The pull on me to stay straight and narrow is higher with the pups. Good thing they are so cute. Otherwise, no one would tolerate their antics.

Comment

((((((Lil E)))))) ~

Sorry I missed your post in May! Great news that you have had improvement after your cervical disc replacement. Hope your fibromyalgia is under control. Are you now relying solely on cannabis? It is wonderful medication. Are you taking CBD and THC? Please stop by again with an update!

((((((Dave)))))) ~

Golden Retriever Puppies!!! Yay! They are so adorable!! I'm happy for you that you have them, and they have you!

I write down all of my passwords and keep them in a folder. I highly recommend it!

Be well and take good care of yourself and those puppies!

Come back soon and tell us how it's going.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

pups.jpg

The only time they behave.....

Comment

((((((Dave)))))) ~

Thank you for posting photos of your puppies! They are so adorable! I just want to scoop them up and love them! Please give them an extra tummy rub from me!

Hope that you are well.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Lovable pups!

About passwords--LastPass is a good password manager. It will remember your passwords for you. I used it for a while years ago, then let Google Chrome do the password remembering for me. Recently I've been hearing that LastPass is safer than Google Chrome, and so I went back to LastPass, which is still working well--in fact, better than it was some years ago.

P.S. It's free and is highly recommended in Consumer Reports.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) since December 2020.

Comment

Hi Earth Mother! The cervical is still improving but the fibro is a bear. The weather changes really get me. I had to stop Cannabis and go back to opiate due to some other issues and now I'm getting my thumb joint reconstructed due to arthritis. I hope to go back to it or get federal legalization and use them together, it works very well that way. I'll be around now and then, nice to hear from you.
                              Last edited by Lil E; 09-28-2018, 08:54 PM.
                              If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
                              DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
                              Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

Comment

The golden decievers are now some 60 pounds each and still a handful.

Their antics are pretty crazy. They just went in for their "surgeries" so we do not have any "special needs" puppies. So, still on the 3-5 mile a day walk plan with them -- still no female in my life, but as I was telling my bachelor neighbor farmer, I think I am starting to like it that way. Sure, some of these upcoming winter nights might be a bit lonely, but the drama is gone.
                                dave

Comment

Working...
                                X