Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSDI in Danger of Being Cut

hey everyone !

i just saw an article that the new congress passed a rules measure that would cut benefits to social security disability insurance (SSDI) recipients by 20%. basically it will pit people receiving retirement benefits versus those receiving disability benefits through a reallocation of funds. call your congressman if you want to give your input on this.

please read this article if you are receiving SSDI benefits: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 01-07-2015, 12:04 PM.
    WE ARE BT!
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Yes, I've read several articles that have me scared silly. How will people survive when ssdi is already an amount below the poverty level? Any idea when Congress is making a decision on this? Also, I've been looking for a sample letter to write my senator & representative. If anyone has a link, would greatly appreciate.

selkie

Comment

These are petitions and example letters you might use to make members of congress, senators, and the president aware of your feelings about this change.

Here are petitions that are specific to the potential cuts in SSDI and Social Security in general. The first is MoveOn.org and the second is CREDO, third is Daily Kos. You are able sign them all if you wish. You might pass them on. Daily Kos is the clearest description of what is going on.

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Here is an example letter from AARP which you might use to write to your congress member or to Tom Reed NY republican (the jerk who came up with this plan). Cut and paste parts of it.

Here is Reed's site if you want to leave him a phone message about his plan or if you live in his district and want to send him and email. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
      Last edited by EarthMonkey; 01-18-2015, 11:04 AM. Reason: Words

Comment

Thank you so much! I've passed these on and signed the petitions. Millions will be devastated if the proposed cuts happen.

Originally posted by EarthMonkey View Post
        These are petitions and example letters you might use to make members of congress, senators, and the president aware of your feelings about this change.

Here are petitions that are specific to the potential cuts in SSDI and Social Security in general. The first is MoveOn.org and the second is CREDO, third is Daily Kos. You are able sign them all if you wish. You might pass them on. Daily Kos is the clearest description of what is going on.

Here is an example letter from AARP which you might use to write to your congress member or to Tom Reed NY republican (the jerk who came up with this plan). Cut and paste parts of it.

Here is Reed's site if you want to leave him a phone message about his plan or if you live in his district and want to send him and email. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Comment

The National MS Society has responded to the proposed cut:

Comment

It seems things are much worse than I thought, though, the language of this new ruling is so obscure, I need a lawyer to explain it.

Formerly when one reached retirement age, SSDI benefits automatically converted to SSI retirement. Apparently that's no longer the case. A clause has been added that might force SSDI recipients to pay back all the SSDI they've received prior to reaching retirement age? And widows lose survivorship benefits?? Help! We on SSDI can't afford to sleep through this, imo. Disabled citizens are being persecuted by this new rule. Would appreciate any feedback to help understand.

Comment

Working...
            X