Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Sticky for Welcome to this page?

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oops, I thanked Howie for volunteering me. In a crazed moment there I thought Howie was volunteering and I thanked him. Since there's no way to un-thank him, I guess I've thanked Howie for volunteering me.

I think you'd be excellent at welcoming, Gary!

I do remember a big dustup about OT threads, and some people did leave at that time. A moderator had moved a bunch of our OT threads to a totally different section of BrainTalk. I believe this place has a different administation now, with different views. Or at least that's how it sounds in Moderator 7's post in this thread.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

You can't take it back now...nah, nah nah nah, nah!!!
    Last edited by Howie; 12-27-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    Evolution spans the Universe.

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Hello everyone!

I've been reading everyone's thoughts and I will give you my opinion. Mike or another mod might come along and give you their opinion, too. There are good and bad points to the options you have.

You have 3 stickies at the top of this page that you definitely wanted to keep. Mark (xo++) is doing an update on MS therapies and it seems like you'll want to make that a sticky, so that's 4 stickies. If you add a "Welcome" thread and want to make that a sticky, that will make 5. Although the stickies always remain at the top and are shaded in blue, it seems many people don't want too many stickies. So, is 5 too many stickies because I don't know how many there were when you decided to take some of them out before? I think 5 seems to be a lot, though.

The other option would be to have one "Welcome" thread, but it would move down the page with no new members being welcomed and someone would have to find it and write a welcome to a new member for the thread to come back among the newest threads. That seems to be too much trouble, in my opinion, plus the new member might not even read a general thread saying "Welcome".

You are a very cohesive group. The MS forum is always active and new members find it and post. My opinion is that someone should just start a new "Welcome (member's name)" thread for each new member that posts in the MS forum. Although you'll start the welcome thread after a new member posts, I think that is okay because new members might return and become contributing members to your forum if they're welcomed and they might post more "off topic" information about themselves, especially if the "Welcome" thread has their name on it.
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 12-27-2014 at 05:53 PM.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

Plus, would a welcome featuring Gary and Howie in their thongs get people to stay or scare them away?

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I'm all for that! I'll have to look for it, it so small, it's hard to find even when I'm wearing it! But it would make them lifetime members!
    Evolution spans the Universe.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator #7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My opinion is that someone should just start a new "Welcome (member's name)" thread for each new member that posts in the MS forum. Although you'll start the welcome thread after a new member posts, I think that is okay because new members might return and become contributing members to your forum if they're welcomed and they might post more "off topic" information about themselves, especially if the "Welcome" thread has their name on it.
    That's what I was thinking too. But didn't get around to expressing it. Procrastination.

Whoever sees a new member post can start a "Welcome, [username]" thread to that member. It would be special to them.

We should pay attention to their registration date though and their number of posts. Sometimes members signed up some time ago, posted, then for whatever reason stopped. So we don't recognize their name. They might be hurt/offended if we welcomed them as a Newbie. That doesn't mean we shouldn't welcome them, only slightly different. Perhaps for those it could be a "Welcome back, [username]" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by agate
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do remember a big dustup about OT threads, and some people did leave at that time. A moderator had moved a bunch of our OT threads to a totally different section of BrainTalk.
    It wasn't the only reason that people left, but certainly one of them. Other things were going on too which made people feel unwelcomed in general.
    There had been a chitchat (or whatever) forum at the time and the moderator/admin wanted us to use that for OT instead. The people posting in the threads (especially the thread starter) thought the threads had "disappeared". In one case the mod thought it was OT but the poster was expressing in a story how MS had affected her. She was quite upset.

In one way posting in a special forum made sense. But in another it was like taking a conversation among friends/family into a hall of strangers.

Anyway, the atmosphere is once again more friendly I think.
    Last edited by Parsi; 12-28-2014 at 02:50 AM. Reason: add another quote and response

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I think Parsi's idea is excellent.

I'm asking to have the Useful Websites sticky reopened for editing temporarily, and I'll try to fix any dead links in it and try to bring it up to date.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

I think whatever encourages new members to stick around is a good thing. If I remember right, the problems before with OT posts involved the volume of them, because there were so many members and so much traffic, that MS-related posts (including personal posts that involved someone's issues with living with their MS) would quickly fall to the 2nd and 3rd pages because of all the truly OT posts that were made. There were also a lot of bickering posts between just a few forum members that also added to the clutter and were not "welcoming" to new members and pushed support posts even further down.

It's completely different now, with so few members that the social interaction is NEEDED here in order to keep oldtimers here to welcome any newcomers that may arrive. The board moves so slow with so few new posts that it doesn't matter what kind of posts are being made so long as it keeps existing members wanting to stay and supporting each other if needed, and available to answer any questions of newcomers if they show up.

So it's now really more about keeping this forum active enough that it remains viable, and with enough people to support one another and anyone new that shows up. Personally, I'm fine with members just adding a "welcome" note in their response posts below the new member's post rather than make much more fanfare than that. But whatever helps newcomers feel that they want to return is welcome to me, this place doesn't often attract new members, so anything to change that is a good thing!

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Unfortunately just adding a welcome in another thread can get lost too. Especially if the member doesn't go back to whatever thread s/he posted in.
    Also -- I don't read all the threads, I might miss seeing that a new person had posted it. Perhaps I'm not the only one.

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I wonder how many people think to look at the New Member Introductions section of BrainTalk, where people sometimes check in at first?

I completely forgot about it until just now when I noticed it--and was reminded that Janith (greymalkin, crowquill, cripsie, zenna), who just recently died, posted there under the user name of crow, back in June but it took a while before she was noticed. My guess is that she would have checked in at the MS board eventually if her health hadn't worsened at that point.

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...8-Hi-I-m-back!

Parsi, you're definitely not the only one who misses posts and the arrival of new people or of returning people who've been away for a while.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast