Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sticky for Welcome to this page?

Distinguished Community Member

To be honest about half the time I don't notice a visitor that is unless Agate points out that someone new has posted. That is the only reason I thought about this. I agree that too many sticky's tend to clutter things up and if its cluttered I have to be REALLY interested in the site to root around in it.

I miss Bou it has been many moons since I have talked to her. In the dark days of being newly Dx'ed she and I had a running joke about riding bikes with cards in the spokes and a handle bar bell. I am going to look in my email box (at the bottom probably) and see if I still have her email address.

Parsi it seems that your post seems really familiar I think I remember doing that.

In the old days we had some folks that were just plain mean. My dad called them knockers. THey knocked anything and everything you said or did. I almost never posted again. If it wasn't for a couple folks PM me and telling me not to worry about these other people I would have left. Good grief this has to be nearly 15 years ago. Howie you are getting old!

By the way the mean ones are gone and the couple of people that PM me are still around.
    Last edited by Gary; 12-20-2014 at 11:41 AM.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Knockers"--good word for those who always have to criticize. On an MS board it might be best to lean over backwards (ha! not literally) to give people the benefit of the doubt.

People who are posting tend to forget that people here have problems nobody knows about, often, because the people here might be too busy or too overwhelmed or too polite or too shy to mention that they're coping with a death in the family, severe health problems, unemployment, etc., etc. Before posting a snippy reply to someone, maybe we should all keep that in mind.

And some people just aren't comfortable with the Internet or with message boards.

But I don't need to say this to this group now. As Gary says, it was people in the past who were stepping on one another's toes.

I do remember now that someone periodically posted a thread welcoming new people, and it must have been bou. Now that the people in charge have decided that these boards should have a more serious look to them, we've been told that too many off-topic threads aren't good, and so Welcome threads and Happy Birthday threads don't happen any more.

Maybe the thinking has changed on this but if so I'm not aware of it. But a sticky thread welcoming new people and helping them to get oriented might go over because it would just sit there on top, and people could post in it as newbies appear.

Bou was here a while back, and you can find her name among the registered members. I can't get to her posts because most of our past posts are still unavailable, but she posted 4 times and last logged in here in January of this year. Anyone who knows her could send her a PM from this board. If nobody wants to do this, I'd be willing to try but I think there are others here who are better acquainted with her.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 8 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I miss bou. I miss the welcome to this thread sticky. I miss a lot of things that used to make this place feel welcoming and warm and helpful.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Hello everyone!

This is your BT and this is your forum!

We aren't in charge of you, except to enforce the TOS and to remove posts that are obviously disrespectful. Mike and we mods are here to make the forums work technically for you. We can merge threads, make stickies, remove things, edit past the edit expiration date, etc. Just ask. Some things, like getting all the different devices (Smartphones, tablets, etc.), working with our forum program are things that Mike will be implementing soon

Mike, David and Dr. Hoch are the new "administration" of BT. I see Mike as being very open-minded about members posting what they want. With forum membership and forum posts being lower than they were in the past, we want to keep current members coming back and attract new members. Attracting new members will take time, though. What Mike wants to do is to re-arrange a few things on the "Forums" page and take out some forums that don't have many threads and perhaps consolidate a few others. It's making things more compact so new members and current members can easily find what they are looking for. All these changes were talked about during the spring and summer in BT'S Forum Feedback.

I have never heard anything from Mike or the other mods about people posting too many off-topic (OT) threads. All that we asked was that you would please label them as being "OT".

I think welcome threads and birthday threads are wonderful things. We are all a community and what better way to celebrate that than to recognize all of the people who come into your forum? It's like welcoming them into your home.

As for doing things in your forum, I feel Cherie's nostalgia when she says she misses a lot of things that made the forums feel welcoming and warm and helpful.

Go for it!
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 12-20-2014 at 10:09 PM.

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

This is MY forum? Free beer and chips for everyone!!!

Mod 7, thanks for keeping this the best place on the Net to go and get info, and see friends!
    Last edited by Howie; 12-21-2014 at 12:28 AM.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nobody is objecting to the idea of a Welcome sticky. Should we request this from a moderator?

Who wants to make the request? It might end up being your thread if you agree to do this.

I'm asking because there was a newbie in here recently. If we had a Welcome sticky, we could call more attention to that newbie.

And from now on it looks as if people want happy birthday threads back, instead of posts about a birthday in the Chitchat thread (where they are apt to get covered up by posts about other issues).

Anyone volunteering to request a Welcome sticky from the moderators?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

I volunteer.......Agate!
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I can write something up if there is an interest. Especially since I use 50 words when one will do. I do remember in one of BT different forms over the years that we had quite a fight about OT posts that got really nasty at one time. It seems that some people left BT over this. The real reason I remember is I had my ears pinned back because I liked the OT threads I like having something to do besides MS stuff.

Good grief I have been around here a long time.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I'm with you Gar!!!
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

18. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Appears that either people are for it or don't particially care one way or the other. How about it MOD #7 can we get some mgmt. input here? You guys give good council so lets have it....what is your opinion? I know, I know you will do what we ask and this time we are asking your feelings.

Do we want a thread that is just a welcome thread sticky? Meaning its hello who we are why we are here and its closed or do we want a sticky that people can respond and post to? The latter may turn into a long, long thread that no one really looks at because it has way too many responses.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast