Abstract of a study if Ampyra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abstract of a study if Ampyra

I have been taking Ampyra for several years. It helps my walking a lot. At the end of each 12 hours my legs begin to weaken. It is very noticeable. A side effect of taking it is an increase in energy. I have not taken anything for fatigue since I started Ampyra.

Here is the Pubmed abstract:

Patient Perspectives and Experience with Dalfampridine Treatment in Multiple Sclerosis-Related Walking Impairment: The Step Together Program.
    Crayton H1, Sidovar M, Wulf S, Guo A.
    Author information

Abstract
    BACKGROUND:
    Dalfampridine extended-release tablets (dalfampridine-ER; in Europe, prolonged-release fampridine, and elsewhere, fampridine modified or fampridine sustained release), 10 mg twice daily, are available for the treatment of improvement of walking in patients with multiple sclerosis, as demonstrated by an increase in walking speed. On-drug patient perspectives and experiences are valuable to understand and manage this patient population.
    OBJECTIVE:
    The objective of this study was to examine perspectives and experiences of patients receiving dalfampridine-ER in a real-world setting.

METHODS:
    Step Together, an ongoing program that captures real-world patient experience with dalfampridine-ER treatment, consists of a survey administered at baseline (before dalfampridine-ER initiation) and at 30 (first follow-up) and 60 days (second follow-up) after initiation. The survey includes modified versions of the 12-item Multiple Sclerosis Walking Scale (mMSWS-12) and the Sheehan Disability Scale (mSDS) to assess walking ability and functional impairment, respectively.

RESULTS:
    As of September 2013, 2,248 patients participated in the baseline survey and 522 completed both follow-up surveys (completers). Among the completers, improvements in walking ability and function relative to baseline were significant at both follow-ups as measured by mMSWS-12 and mSDS scores, respectively. Notably, 69-74 % of completers at both follow-ups had improved mMSWS-12 scores, with scores greater than the range considered to be minimally clinically significant. Patients who completed the program expressed satisfaction with overall dalfampridine-ER treatment, and 69 % indicated that the survey would help them communicate better with their healthcare providers.

CONCLUSION:
    Results highlight the utility of patient-reported outcomes in the assessment of patient perspective and experience, providing a useful supplement to traditional objective measures used in clinical studies.
    PMID: 25475652 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]
    Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Google+
    LinkOut - more resources
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

I tried this, but unfortunately it was too strong for me. I felt completely off balance, like a drunk, and like I was buzzed on too much Coca Cola. If I could have lowered the dose, I would have loved to try because I was so excited about the possibilities. But they make it very clear in their warnings that the pills cannot be cut in any way due to risks associated with the extended release of the med.

Maybe I'll see if I can go old school and try the non-extended release version. I think it has potential merit.

Thanks, Laz!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

Comment

Working...
    X