Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medical Marijuana

Hi Folks,

On August 11th on CNN I saw a special on medical marijuana and how it helps people with epilepsy and other medical problems. I was amazed to see a little girl who was
    having over 300 sz. a week and her parents put her on the medical marijuana to help her since no AED's were now the girl is having 1-2 sz. a week. My Epileptologist has
    asked me to try this in the pill form but I found out in order for the marijuana to work the THC level had to be low while the BDE level must be high. If any of you are interested
    here's the website so you can watch the CNN report:
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

Here's wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

HI Sue, I recall our talking about this a while back. Why will you not try this if it would decrease your seizures? What is worse, the effect of the BDE ( whatever that is. What is that? ) or the damage to the brain cells due to uncontrolled seizures? Smoking it had positive effects for some too. Have you totally said no to this idea? I know you were interested in the devices. This is not invasive. but they are. Tattoo

Comment

Hi Tattoo,

After seeing the special I'm seriously thinking about trying the marijuana what concerns me is if my insurance co. will cover the cost because 1 months supply is $ 2 grand and
      I can't afford that if it comes out of my wallet, The BDE are the chemicals in the marijuana that calm the nerves down in the brain and help people with sz. and other medical problems
      that is what has to be high in the plant while the THC level must be low. I will give it a try as long as my insurance covers it. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Hi Sue, I found this on FindLaw website. It says that marijuana is considered a Schedule 1 drug which is the same as some narcotics. Those are covered by insurance co provided the diagnosis is there for it, and in your case, it will be. Lots of states have their own laws re medical marijuana, but New York doesn't. I was surprised that it didn't. For you, make your decision to try it and let the doc do what he/she needs to to get it prescribed and approved. It may be no big deal if considered no different that other Schedule 1 Narcotics. Cross that bridge when you get to it. The info he will need to convince them if it is even needed at all, is in your chart. Very glad to know you are considering it. For me, there would be no question. Tattoo

Comment

Hi Tattoo,

Thanks so much for this great info. I will be getting ahold of my Epileptologist on Monday since I will be on vacation for the next couple of weeks and I'm going to ask her
          to let me give it a try, after all she is the one that mentioned it to me back in March when I saw her. Now my big concern is my employer since I work in public school if I will
          have to use this during the day or anything while at work they may try and kick me out of my job, but I have a friend that's a judge who will back me up if he's not to busy.
          Thanks again and I wish you only the best. May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Glad to hear it Sue! Keep us posted on your progress with this.
            "Now my big concern is...." That is another worry-about-it-when-you-get-there thing. Not a today thing at all. Also, how could they possibly know if you do not divulge your personal information to them? You do not have to tell your personal info. I'd never consider it at all. I like my right to privacy and am allowed that as you are. You are required to do a job and nothing else. We all take a medication prescribed for us. Some may show up as benzos but is taken for anxiety etc etc. We don't share it with our employers unless there is possibility it may show up on a drug screen and ONLY if I am directed to have one done. Then you say to the lab person only (not the employer) that, "I take a prescribed medication." Period! I think it is against the law to ask you what it is as the question they can ask is: "Are you able to do the job hired for?" They will not know when you start a new med and they may never know if your seizures are better. They will know if they get worse, so doing what we can to stop them helps in so many ways! You do not owe them any explanation. Good luck and keep us posted. Tattoo

Comment

Hi Tattoo,
              I see where you are coming from but since I work for the state and in a public school the state law for NY is that the school has to know all perscriptions a person takes,
              along with any medical problems. If the school found out that I was using medical marijuana without me telling them they would have me fired in no time at all. Just last
              Oct. the associate principal demanded a letter from my Dr. stating I was able to do my job after being there for almost 27 yrs. I told her I put it on my job application 27 yrs.
              ago that I had epilepsy and that is what shut her up. She was mad and she doesn't like the fact that I have epilepsy. Thanks for your time and May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Hi I thought I'd add the article re the child in NJ whose parents are talking to Gov Christie to get him to sign their law legalizing the use of medical marijuana. The law has passed already. It needs his signature. The chemical that helps seizures without causing the high is CBE. I would not be surprised if meds already have this in it along with other chemicals. Depakote comes to mind. Just a thought. Tattoo

CBD or Cannabidiol (CBD) ,is the chemical that helps seizures and it is sold as, Cesamet. It is made by Meda pharmaceuticals and has FDA given approval.

Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of at least 85 cannabinoids found in cannabis.[2] It is a major constituent of the plant, second to THC, and represents up to 40% in its extracts.[3] Compared with THC, cannabidiol is less psychoactive, and is considered to have a wider scope of medical applications than THC,[4] including to epilepsy,[5]

Comment

Hi Tattoo,

Thanks for all of your help of course NY hasn't approved of this yet thanks to our Govenor but then again he could care less I plan on sending an e-mail or calling his office
                  since I can get in there and try and speak with him to see if he will change his mind this will help many other people also besides those that have epilepsy. It has been proven
                  to stop cancer, help diabetes, MS, and people who are in a lot of severe pain. Thanks again and I wish you only the best May God Bless You!

Sue

Comment

Sue, How far are you from NJ? It would be worth the trip and whatever it takes to see a doc in NJ where it is allowed just to get your seizures stopped. That would not be an issue for me at all. When I had surgery in Ga and then moved to NC, I still drove back to Ga to see the docs I knew could provide me the care I deserved. I mad the best choice for me. Also consider that I started at a facility in my immediate area for surgery, and we know how much of a disaster that turned out to be. It was easy although dangerous to be there. I then went 150 miles away to another Comprehensive Center where I could again get the care I deserved for surgery. In order to get what we need we may have to make a change, but it comes down to a choice. The possibility of stopping my seizures so I could have a better life was a greater benefit that the longer drive and all other change was an inconvenience. There is no question that change was needed. If I was thirsty, but had no well nearby, I would have to move where there was one if I wanted to maintain life. How far are you from NJ? When I went to NJ for graduation, it was not far from NJ to NY as I could have flown into NY and driven in. Tattoo
                    Last edited by Tattoo2; 08-26-2013, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X