March Chitchat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

March Chitchat

It's March already, and soon it will be time to Spring Forward into Daylight Saving Time.

You didn't really need that hour you're going to lose, right?

And you'll get it back in the fall!

So chatter away--and I'll soon be posting another Tom Cat message. It's time for me to get ready for an annual inspection, and I've been busier than usual but hope to transfer it here very soon.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Good morning Agate!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Good morning, Agate & Linda.

ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Well, it is total mud around my farm. We can not even risk driving to the greenhouses because we have had previous experiences of wheels spinning in mud which is over the hubcaps! Because the ground is not unfrozen the rain will not go down so it freezes over night and gets sloppy as the daylight softens up the earth.

Great excuse not to go work.

I just finished listening to a great book. -The Music Shop- by Rachel Joyce. What a delight. I already ordered a second book by this really good author. The book is funny, quirky characters who remind us of society and the human connection and oh, so much more. I laughed. I realized sadly what has happened to neighborhoods and I loved the author’s use of music in the whole structure of the book.
        Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

Comment

Agate, thanks for getting us started. As always, you are on the ball. It is not only going to be daylight savings time (which I personally do not like), but it is going to be Spring before the month is over.

Linda, the ground around your farm sounds like my back yard. I think for different reasons. We have had copious amounts of rain for weeks. We now look at the weather to see when the sun might come out, or just be overcast. We use to look to see when it would rain. Some rain is just almost every day it seems like, and some of them are gully washers.

Now that more of our friends are getting vaccinated, as well as us, we should be able to see the ones that have been vaccinated in small groups, without masks. This is according to Dr. Fouci. Hope this makes everyone feel more hopeful.

Howie, I recently saw a post by you where you had just given Sam her cheese. You are so good to her. My brother is really good to his two dogs. When we recently went to Chapel Hill for my shot, we talked dogs. I had not known this, but he cooks a large bowl of brown rice, then he cooks 3lbs of ground turkey and mixes it. Then he opens some packages from the grocery store of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and chops it into very small fine pieces and adds that. He freezes two containers and keeps one out. He then mixes a little bit with his dog's regular dog food. He also gives them 1/2 scrambled egg 3 to 4 times per week. He has two dogs. When he uses the three containers of the food he has fixed for them, he makes more. He says this gives them the nutrients from that as well as the special dog food they get.

I have a neighbor who gives her dog an egg a day. I don't think she would go to the trouble to mix the stuff he does because while she is a very sweet person who loves her dog, she doesn't even cook for herself.

I am too tired to cook tonight, so I think I will bake a potato and just have that. I have everything for a salad, but I am so tired that I might have to wait to fix that.

Hope all of you are having a good day.
          Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

It's hard to believe that it is already March. Time flies more quickly it seems the older I get.

My very old cell phone finally fizzled out. I ordered a Coolpad Snap phone as its replacement. It's a flip phone, but it is not similar to the phone I had, which has a slide out keyboard. This has numbers, which have to be touched to get the alphabet. One touch for "a", two touches for "b", three touches for "c." I don't think I've ever had a phone like this, and if I did, I can't remember it.

John visited to insert the SIM card, battery and get it up and running. He gave me a demonstration of how to use it, after his memory of his flip phone days returned. I need to practice, because it's a bit confusing at the moment. It didn't come with an instruction guide, so I'm depending upon the internet and YouTube videos.

For those, who might be wondering why I chose a flip phone ~ I don't need a smart phone, or iPhone, with the thousands of apps and internet access. I use the cell to call in emergencies, when I am not near my landline, such as on my walks, or when I was at the hospital with one of our boys, and Jim was at home, or when I was with Jim at his appointments and called John to pick us up. I use it primarily for texts now since I'm at home all the time, and that is generally only to John and another very dear friend.

I can take photos with it, but I haven't taken a photo of anything for almost a year.

I didn't see the point of spending a wad of money on an iPhone for just those uses. I have a brand new iMac and a fairly new iPad, which John recently updated for me, because I don't have WiFi. And yes, I don't have WiFi ... everyone thinks that I am a dinosaur. To get WiFi, I need to have all of the old cables removed and replaced, which is a project that could take several hours and major disruption in my home with techs in and out. Also, I have to rip out all of the cabinets in the office closet for access to one of our two attics. I've lived all of these years without WiFi, and I still managed to stay connected with the outside world.

Once I get used to this new flip phone, I'll master it. It can't be any more difficult than the iMac or iPad for me to figure out.

John also cleaned the pond pumps and refilled the pond. He is so wonderful to me, and I don't know what I'd do or where I would be without him. It is comforting to know that he will be here for me any time for any reason, and that he loves me and Jim, Jon, and Michael and misses them as I do.

He will stop by on Wednesday after the cases of water are delivered to pick up a couple of cases for his family. I sent him home with a dozen fresh oranges, which I order from a ranch nearby. Everyone loves these oranges, so it's always a nice thank you gift. The first thing I do each morning is make fresh squeezed orange juice. Great way to start the day!

Virginia ~ We had a holistic vet for our cocker spaniel, who recommended a diet of real food, like that which your brother prepares for his dogs. Our Bonnie loved her meals. And when I cooked, she was at my feet, waiting for an errant carrot or green bean to fall to the floor. Our vet also offered freeze-dried home cooked meals for purchase, and that made our lives a bit easier. Your brother's dogs are very fortunate to have real food as their main form of nutrition.

Sending lots of good vibrations, hugs, loving thoughts, healing prayers to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
            Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hi! I made all the food my 4 dogs ate for many years. It was pretty much what you describe Virginia:

“ Howie, I recently saw a post by you where you had just given Sam her cheese. You are so good to her. My brother is really good to his two dogs. When we recently went to Chapel Hill for my shot, we talked dogs. I had not known this, but he cooks a large bowl of brown rice, then he cooks 3lbs of ground turkey and mixes it. Then he opens some packages from the grocery store of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and chops it into very small fine pieces and adds that. He freezes two containers and keeps one out. He then mixes a little bit with his dog's regular dog food. He also gives them 1/2 scrambled egg 3 to 4 times per week. He has two dogs. When he uses the three containers of the food he has fixed for them, he makes more. He says this gives them the nutrients from that as well as the special dog food they get.“
              Linda~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

It's hard to believe that it is already March. Time flies more quickly it seems the older I get.

My very old cell phone finally fizzled out. I ordered a Coolpad Snap phone as its replacement. It's a flip phone, but it is not similar to the phone I had, which has a slide out keyboard. This has numbers, which have to be touched to get the alphabet. One touch for "a", two touches for "b", three touches for "c." I don't think I've ever had a phone like this, and if I did, I can't remember it.

John visited to insert the SIM card, battery and get it up and running. He gave me a demonstration of how to use it, after his memory of his flip phone days returned. I need to practice, because it's a bit confusing at the moment. It didn't come with an instruction guide, so I'm depending upon the internet and YouTube videos.

For those, who might be wondering why I chose a flip phone ~ I don't need a smart phone, or iPhone, with the thousands of apps and internet access. I use the cell to call in emergencies, when I am not near my landline, such as on my walks, or when I was at the hospital with one of our boys, and Jim was at home, or when I was with Jim at his appointments and called John to pick us up. I use it primarily for texts now since I'm at home all the time, and that is generally only to John and another very dear friend.

I can take photos with it, but I haven't taken a photo of anything for almost a year.

I didn't see the point of spending a wad of money on an iPhone for just those uses. I have a brand new iMac and a fairly new iPad, which John recently updated for me, because I don't have WiFi. And yes, I don't have WiFi ... everyone thinks that I am a dinosaur. To get WiFi, I need to have all of the old cables removed and replaced, which is a project that could take several hours and major disruption in my home with techs in and out. Also, I have to rip out all of the cabinets in the office closet for access to one of our two attics. I've lived all of these years without WiFi, and I still managed to stay connected with the outside world.

Once I get used to this new flip phone, I'll master it. It can't be any more difficult than the iMac or iPad for me to figure out.

John also cleaned the pond pumps and refilled the pond. He is so wonderful to me, and I don't know what I'd do or where I would be without him. It is comforting to know that he will be here for me any time for any reason, and that he loves me and Jim, Jon, and Michael and misses them as I do.

He will stop by on Wednesday after the cases of water are delivered to pick up a couple of cases for his family. I sent him home with a dozen fresh oranges, which I order from a ranch nearby. Everyone loves these oranges, so it's always a nice thank you gift. The first thing I do each morning is make fresh squeezed orange juice. Great way to start the day!

Virginia ~ We had a holistic vet for our cocker spaniel, who recommended a diet of real food, like that which your brother prepares for his dogs. Our Bonnie loved her meals. And when I cooked, she was at my feet, waiting for an errant carrot or green bean to fall to the floor. Our vet also offered freeze-dried home cooked meals for purchase, and that made our lives a bit easier. Your brother's dogs are very fortunate to have real food as their main form of nutrition.

Sending lots of good vibrations, hugs, loving thoughts, healing prayers to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Rose,
                John and I have flip phones...have used only flip phones for decades. They fit in my pocket so no matter where we are working on the farm we can always answer our phones. We use Consumer Cellular. It is great!
                Linda~~~~

Comment

I use Consumer Cellular too. They have never let me down. But I don't carry it with me. I just never need to talk to anyone the short time I am out of the house.

Virginia, tell your brother to put an extra bowl of food down for me, but leave out the dog food for mine. My coat is shinny enough now.
                  "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Comment

Rose, Iloved my flip phone and got very good at texting quickly— you will surprise yourself. Its easier than the iPhone with the virtual key board.
                    But the iPhone can go online, you can dictate your message pretty accurately with the iPhone, and for me, with about 11 pill alarms per day, the iPhone is a keeper.

You can also assign a different ring tone to each person, which is handy.. You can turn it off to sleep but allow certain people’s calls to bypass the “off” phone to get through when you nap or at night. Very handy for that.

And, I love the FaceTime with loved ones, but that isn’t crucial.

My flip phone took excellent quality pics. I used to have a flip phone at the beach and my shot quality matched friends’ iphones.
                    Plus, I am afraid to take the iPhone to places like a beach or, leave it in teh car in teh heat: my flip phone was sturdier and a lot cheaper to replace.

An,like you said, you could put in your pocket or Clip to belt. I have to wear my iPhone cross body purse. But family got me a watch, so now, as long as iPhone is in or near the same room, the watch will call people, receive calls, time things, text although the texting isnt as accurate as the phone...
                    Now I prefer the iPhone overall.. But the expense—— geeesh..

Comment

I loved my flip phone and fought getting rid of it for years. I can't remember exactly why I did. However, I do enjoy having the iPhone. I text more on it, read a lot of articles without coming to my desk computer, talk on it if I want to, use the timer quite a bit, etc. I am actually paying very little for mine (I think). I am with Consumer Cellular and it cost me $27.00 a month. I guess it is because I don't use it to talk too much. I use my landline. I have unlimited text and I think about 250 minutes of talk time and I have never gone over that. The phone cost a little bit, but I didn't buy the latest model so it was not as expensive. I got a new one, but it was a year or so after they came out with another model and I bought it when they were having a sell. I am enjoying it.
                      Virginia

Comment

Linda, Howie, Sunshine and Virginia ~

Thank you so much for sharing your cell phone experiences with me.

I'm going to test drive this flip phone for a couple of weeks, and if I find it is too tedious, I will consider an iPhone. Of course, any new device requires learning and adapting to the change from the previous device.

The fact that my old iMac and my old cell phone out served their purpose is a reminder of how far behind I've been in technology. That was all circumstantial, as my attention was focused on caregiving. Sometimes, it feels like an avalanche of change especially over the last few years, when I just need one thing in my life to remain stable.

I am certain that is true for all of us.

And, Howie, I think you should take your cell with you, when you are out running errands. What if you have a flat tire or a problem with your car? You never know when you might need it, so it is best to have it with you at all times, especially when you are out.

Sending healing energy and prayers for all ~ be safe, be well, and find a bit of joy each day.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

When I'm out is exactly when my cellphone is with me. Other time it's sitting on the desk but turned off. As Rose said, when you're out is a time when you might need to call someone. If you have car trouble, don't you call the AAA, for instance?

I"m probably showing my ignorance here. As a non-car-owner the chances are that I don't know what I'm talking about but I do have the impression, from talking to car-owners, that all of them rely on the AAA to bail them out sometimes.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Agate, that is one reason I carry mine with me. If I have car trouble I can call AAA or one of my brothers. Another thing I have started doing is keeping my grocery list on my iPhone. So, then I always have it with me when I am grocery shopping.

It's great for keeping information and notes.
                            Virginia

Comment

agate ~

AAA is the first call I always make whenever the van breaks down. In the last few years, I called AAA for a flat tire and a dead battery. Both were replaced on our driveway.
                              Thankfully, I wasn't on the road. I wouldn't even think of not carrying my cell phone, when I go out on the road.

I also carry my cell phone on my walks, because I don't have a life line/alert. For that reason, I now carry it in my pocket around the house. I also bring the landline phone into the bathroom now.

So, Howie, the hens agree that you should carry your cell with you when you go out.

Virginia ~

It's great that your phone can provide you with all of those conveniences. I haven't been in a grocery store for over 3 years, as I've been using Instacart. Actually, I haven't been anywhere away from home since early November 2019.

So for me, I don't need a smart phone with all of their great features.

I am learning the new flip phone, as my dear friend, who helps me with all things, including my techno devices, found a site with directions on how to text on a flip phone. I think I'll be fine with it as I get used to it.

John visited today. First he put in new lightbulbs in the ceiling light on the stair landing upstairs. I have gone without this light on the stairs for a couple of months, because I just feel like I'm an imposition. Of course, he corrected me on feeling that way today. He told me that he needs to know that I am safe, and that not having light on the stairs presents a risk for me. I know. That's why I asked him to put the bulbs in today.

Jim used to say the same thing to me about using the stair light. I can turn it on/off from upstairs or downstairs. If he saw me coming down the stairs without the light on, he would beg me to turn on the light the next time.

While John changed the bulbs, I cleaned the shade, which Jim selected many years ago. It is stained glass. The last time the bulbs were changed, and the shade was cleaned, Jim and I did it together. So you can imagine how many years ago that is.

Then, John attended to Michael's pond, as this morning the waterfall stopped. The pump had become disconnected from the pond outlet. He cleaned out some debris and suggested that he drain and clean the pond and pumps in the next week or so.

Then, he took the trash bins out to the curb. He'll return tomorrow to bring the bins back up to the side yard.

While upstairs, I showed him Jim's amplifier, which is simply gathering dust all these years. He said he would give it to his friend, who also is interested in Jim's tools.

Parting with memories is difficult. But I have found that it is more difficult to look at them and know they are unused. John and I agree that Jim would really like this young man and want him to use everything to make music, build, and be creative.

Familiarity is comfortable. Change is painful, but with change, there can be growth.

Healing energy and prayers for all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X