COVID-19 thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 thread

Maybe we can post here if/when COVID-19 affects us in some way.

Virginia, how are your brother and SIL doing now?

A memo came around in this building today letting us know that for the first time, a resident here has the COVID-19 virus. She/he got it from a caregiver but hadn't had any contact with other residents in the last 18 days.

So little contact with other residents for such a long time tells me that the person is probably someone fairly homebound, and there are only a few people here in that category.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

This thread is a good idea.

I'm sorry to hear that one of the residents in your building has COVID, and I'm relieved that this person hasn't had contact with anyone for 18 days. Is this person receiving home health care or any kind of assistance, while coping with COVID? If s/he contracted COVID from a caregiver, who is taking care of this person for the last 18 days?

Stay safe, agate.

Virginia ~

I was also going to inquire about your brother and sister-in-law. I hope that your brother is stable now.

We always reserved Tylenol for a fever of over 100 degrees. Tylenol can be hard on the kidneys and liver, and if your brother is on other medications, that is something to consider.

Also, if his SATS drop below 90 for more than an hour, or keep dropping into the 80s, he will need O2. He could ask his physician for an order for O2 at home, probably tanks rather than a concentrator. That would save him a trip to the ER, as long as his SATS come up into the mid-90s on 1 or 2 liters of O2.

There were a few times when Jim needed 4 liters for a short period, but we tried to use the lowest amount of O2 for him and for Jon to keep the SATs in the mid- 90s. If SATS were holding, we would wean down gradually to 1 liter with the goal of going off of O2 and back to room air.

He should use a nasal cannula, not a mask. Masks are reserved for 5 liters of O2. Without that volume, the patient takes in too much carbon dioxide.

I hope that you don't need to know all of this, but I just thought it would be helpful, if your brother does need O2.

Prayers for all to remain safe and healthy.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, I believe that the caregiver contact has been continuing. My guess is that it might be my next-door neighbor, who has several caregivers. I've seen her workers coming and going in recent days. Some of them are probably filling in if one of them is down with COVID.

We aren't allowed to know the identity of the person but I've narrowed it down to 4 people here who I know might have had no contact with residents for weeks and who have helpers. I see most people regularly here as we all have to get our mail and do our laundry and pass through the halls but there are some I haven't seen for a long time because they're pretty much bed-bound.

The memo states that the resident is quarantining until January 20 and "working with a health care provider and the county health department."

This was bound to happen. It's surprising that it didn't happen sooner. People break the rules. The elevator rule--one person at a time on it--is difficult. I've seen two people getting on the elevator with one saying to the other, "I don't see you if you don't see me."
      Last edited by agate; 01-07-2021, 04:58 PM.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

I do work online and one of my online coworkers got COVID19. The female coworker with COVID19 is exhausted and says her muscles feel very weak, but she feels a bit better on each day that passes. Since I only know her via Zoom I'm NOT exposed to COVID19. Please pray for her?
        Last edited by funnylegs4; 01-07-2021, 06:51 PM.
        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Brother was feeling better yesterday. He got his own shower. The day before he wanted a hot bath and he had to call his wife to help him out. She said all the color had gone out of his face. SIL had done well for three days in a row. I didn't call today. The time slipped up on me and I knew they would be in bed.

The Doctor told him if his oxygen level drops in the 80s to come back to him.

His PCP Doctor got a notice that he had tested positive and called to see how he was doing and asked if he needed anything or if there was anything he could do for him. I thought that was nice.

Also, he received a call from his Cardiologist who also got a notice from the ER. He will see him in February to check his heart and plans to check my SIL at the same time. She doesn't have a heart condition, Cardiologist office says that everyone who has COVID should get tested.

Was sorry I missed the time tonight. I didn't want to miss calling him.

Agate, sorry you have a neighbor who has it. I imagine most where you live are older. I hope whoever it is does well.

Funnylegs, sorry about your online coworker. Hope she does well.
          Virginia

Comment

agate ~

You are so right about the probability of COVID hitting your complex. It sounds like your neighbors are medically vulnerable and Seniors. You also live in close quarters, where you share laundry facilities and elevators.

From what you've described, it would seem that COVID was brought into your community by this neighbor's caregiver. So, an outsider brought it in. I'm not faulting that person, because s/he may not have known that they had COVID at the time they assisted your neighbor. What matters now is that you and all of your neighbors are extra cautious about contact, social distancing, and mask wearing. In other words, neighbors, no more twosomes on the elevator!

Stay safe, agate.

funnylegs4 ~

I am praying for both of your coworkers and for you. I'm glad that your contact was virtual, but I know you worry about your friends and loved ones, when they have health issues. Please try not to stress too much, as that compromises the immune system. Just keep the prayers and healing energy flowing.

Virginia ~

I am pleased that your brother's PCP and Cardiologist contacted him. I think I said in previous posts that it would be good if all doctors did that for their patients, if they test positive for COVID.

Because COVID is a SARS variant, it affects the lungs and heart most severely. So, it is right that your brother and SIL are seen by his Cardiologist to ensure that there has been no damage.

While the ER doctor told your brother to return if his SATS dropped in the 80s, given his heart history, I think it would be beneficial for him to have O2 available to him at home. Here's why:

The longer the lungs have to struggle to get O2, the harder it is on the cardiovascular system. In the time between the SATS dropping to 86 (let's say) and staying there without supplemental O2, to call 911 and get paramedics there, who will immediately administer O2, damage can be done to the heart, lungs, and brain. This is particularly true for people with a pre-existing condition or complex medical issues.

Access to O2 at home may stabilize your brother, and paramedics might not need to be called or your brother taken to ER.

When your brother's color was not good after his bath, O2 might have helped him regain his strength.

My opinion is based upon 21 years of administering O2 to Michael, Jonathan, and Jim.

Since his doctors have contacted him, perhaps your brother or SIL could ask whether they think at home O2 might be a good idea for him. If they are on Medicare, it will be covered. No cost, but a lot of peace of mind, just in case.

I had to petition Medicaid for Jon's O2, because it wasn't covered unless he was on O2 24/7. Thankfully, he wasn't. But, when his SATS suddenly tanked to 78, if we didn't have O2 for him, we would have called paramedics, gone to ER, maybe been hospitalized. That's a great deal more expensive than providing a concentrator. He needed it "just in case." And "just in case" occurred frequently, but not continually. It's preventative, as well as supportive.

It is probably not the same for you in N.C. as it is here, but here, our hospitals are running out of O2. EMT's are having trouble replenishing O2 in their ambulances.

The sirens are increasing these days, and I don't know whether that is a good or a bad sign, once again. We're in "Crisis Mode," which means that if you have less chance of surviving than someone else, you go to the end of the line. "You Live." "You Die." That's what it is like in California.

Blessings to all, be safe, stay well, and try to find a bit of joy each day.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Virginia, yes, everyone in this building has to be 65 or over to live here. I'm not sure if it's 65 or 62 actually but there are quite a few people here who are over 90, many in their 80s.

funnylegs, I hope your coworker will get better soon. This virus seems to hit some people very hard and others sail through it.

Rose, I'm sure that the more sociable people around here really hate being so cooped up. But there don't seem to have been very many really flagrant violations of the rules--no social gatherings, no clusters of people lingering around and talking. There are unavoidable human contacts that we all have to have--delivery people, essential services, caregivers, etc.

We do have to hang together--or we hang separately, as they say. I spied an important-looking package that had been left out on the ledge by the mailboxes and took it up to another floor and knocked on the addressee's door and gave it to him.

I know the man and know he's been going downhill in health for quite a while. The package had a huge label CRITICAL on it, and REFRIGERATE, and it was from the VA, which he uses for health care. I don't understand how the delivery person couldn't have contacted this man, who was home, and let him know by the intercom that his package was being delivered. He might also have taken it up to his door under the circumstances, it seems to me.

But delivery people (are they in a hurry, or are they too scared of COVID-19?) often just leave packages anywhere, lying around on the first floor or even outside the building, out in the rain.

This man looked so grateful when I brought him that package that it just made my day.

Comment

Agate, I am glad you took that Veteran his package that needed to be refrigerated. I am sure he was very relieved. I think the delivery people are just so overloaded right now that they are not taking the extra time that they might would have at one point. It is no longer just people like us who order everything, but so many others are ordering just like we do.

I talked to my brother yesterday evening and he was doing good. He said he was eating real good now. His wife is cooking for him. He had not had an appetite, but it sounded as though it has come back strong. He assured me he was alright. I will try to take him at his word and not worry as much as I was.

Rose, I will tell him what you said about O2. At one time he had it at home, but I think the let it go back because he was not using it.

Hope everyone is safe.
                Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                  Agate, I am glad you took that Veteran his package that needed to be refrigerated. I am sure he was very relieved. I think the delivery people are just so overloaded right now that they are not taking the extra time that they might would have at one point. It is no longer just people like us who order everything, but so many others are ordering just like we do.

Would you say people like us are now on the cutting edge? Trend-setters? "Want to know how to live an isolated and limited life? Check out your nearest MS message board! Learn the fine art of online shopping and other important skills!"
                  Last edited by agate; 01-09-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by agate View Post
                    Would you say people like us are now on the cutting edge? Trend-setters? "Want to know how to live an isolated and limited life? Check out your nearest MS message board! Learn the fine art of online shopping and other important skills!"
                    Agate, your are so right. We have paved the way, now let them come see how it is done. Everyone can start with thread on jar openers. You learn all the time on this board. We could teach people a lot. Just look what all of you have taught me. I ask about something and it pops up in a post - so easy!
                    Virginia

Comment

agate ~

So very kind of you to deliver your neighbor's package to him. Anything labeled "critical" and "refrigerate" should receive special treatment. At the very least the delivery person should have contacted him by intercom, as you said. You may have saved his life. What if no one had seen the package or had made the effort you did to be sure he received it? Your neighbors are very blessed to have you living there.

It must be difficult for people, who are used to being out and about, to adjust to the restrictions of isolation. For me, living in isolation and ordering on line have been my way of life for about 20 years, so it's not a change. I'm just grateful that the internet exists, with all of its faults and flaws, so that we can all have access to what we need.

When John put the tags on my van, he observed, "There, now, in case you have to go somewhere, you're legal."

I laughed, "Where am I going to go, John? I'll probably never step into a grocery store, or any other store, again. If I have an appointment, you'll insist on driving me, and if I have an emergency, I'll call you, as you've instructed me to do thousands of times. Where am I going to go?"

Nonetheless, I want the knowledge that I have the freedom to drive, if I just want to drive for the sake of driving. Writing that, it sounds odd. Oh well ... I'm a tad bit odd, so it works for me.

Virginia ~

Very good news that your brother is feeling better and has an appetite! Prayers are working.

I hope you know that my comments about him having access to O2 are based upon my concern for him. And just because he doesn't need it now doesn't mean that he might not need it in the future. As with Jonathan, Michael, and Jim, who were not O2 dependent, when they needed O2, they needed it immediately. So anyone, who has respiratory or cardiac problems should be entitled to at least have a couple of O2 tanks and cannulas in their home.

Since your brother has had O2 at home previously, his doctors might align with my thinking that it's better safe than sorry and prescribe it for him to use PRN (as needed).

As I mentioned, access to O2 in any setting right now might be difficult. So, if he can get a couple of tanks now, just in case COVID continues to spread, and O2 may become scarce, that would be best for him.

I'm running low on nitrile gloves, so I tried to order from the same supplier I've used for, well, also 20 years. They are out of all of their nitrile gloves. So, it's best to be prepared. I ordered a couple of boxes from Amazon, because I use a LOT of gloves. I order them by the case.

In all of this, I am just so grateful that you didn't contract COVID.

May it continue to be so for all of us, and may the vaccine work to reduce cases and give us hope that we'll be free of this plague soon.

Prayers, hugs, and love to all ~ be safe, well, and find a little joy everyday.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Today, I watched an interview with Dr. Sanjay Gupta by Stephen Colbert. Dr. Gupta stated that the COVID vaccine will not prevent people from getting COVID. The vaccine is designed to reduce the severity of symptoms, if one gets COVID. This might result in more people, who are COVID positive, being asymptomatic but still contagious.

For this reason, masks, hand washing and social distancing continue to be necessary.

I did a little search, and I found this interview with Dr. Fauci from October 2020, in which he states the same thing:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

If I heard or read this previously last year, I can't recall it, but that's not unusual for me these days. To me, it was a little surprising, as I thought a vaccine was intended for prevention, not reducing symptoms. Evidently, the immediate need for the COVID vaccines meant that they would only lessen the impact of the virus.

So, we should all be cautious in our interactions with others, as if they didn't get the vaccine, even if they did.

The roll out of the vaccines has been pathetic. Far fewer Americans have been vaccinated than was anticipated at this point. We have a long way to go.

Here's a terrifying fact I heard on the news today: Every 33 seconds, someone dies from COVID.

Let us all remain vigilant about protecting ourselves and each other. Everyone in the country has to commit to: No Super Bowl parties, Valentine's Day parties, St. Patrick's Day parties, Spring Break, Easter gatherings. When I see planes flying over my home, I think,"That is a COVID and every other infectious disease super spreader."

Our state's slogan is: "Stay home. Save lives."

In addition to being terrorized on January 6, our Congressional leaders were exposed to COVID while in lock down. A certain group of people were not wearing masks during lock down.

A vaccine can only do so much, if people continue to ignore the recommendations of our top physicians and scientists. What part of "plague" don't they understand?

Those of us here, who know what to do, will continue to do it. We can't be responsible for the rest of the people, who are reckless. All we can do is try to protect ourselves from them.

Be safe, stay strong, and keep the faith.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Rose, according to the CDC, the vaccine does keep a person from getting COVID-19:

They'll be lining people up soon in this building to get the vaccine. Maybe. CVS "has been gracious enough" to offer to do a vaccine clinic here if enough people sign up.

Enough people might not sign up, though. There's a rather elaborate form to fill out, and each resident has to present the form along with the health insurance ID card for copying at the office.

Many won't want to bother. Half the people here won't be able to read the form because their English is very sketchy. I doubt that the paperwork went around in Russian, Ukrainian, Romanian, Uzbek, and other languages we have represented here.

Some will be suspicious of the vaccine. Others won't like having to get this going quickly. They'll need to dig up some information to put on the form, and for some that takes time and energy they don't feel they can spare, I guess.

I'm turning my form in along with the card and hoping that they'll set up the vaccine arrangement here. It's a lot better than having to ride the paratransit van twice for the vaccine.

Comment

Brother and SIL tested negative yesterday. SIL says she feels fine and is ready to go to the grocery store. Brother is getting better, but still not feeling well. I am glad he tested negative.
                            Virginia

Comment

agate ~

Thank you for sharing the CDC link about the vaccines preventing COVID. It seems that there is conflicting information from a variety of sources as to whether the vaccines do prevent the virus. I feel that Dr. Fauci and Dr. Gupta are credible experts, so why their viewpoint differs from the CDC is curious.

The Mayo Clinic states:

A COVID-19 vaccine might prevent you from getting COVID-19. Or, if you get COVID-19, the vaccine might keep you from becoming seriously ill or from developing serious complications.

In an interview today, Dr. Vin Gupta (different doctor than Sanjay) stated that the CDC needed to change their wording about extending the time between the first and second dose of the vaccine. Here's what the CDC says:

There is no maximum interval between the first and second doses for either vaccine. Therefore, if the second dose is administered >3 weeks after the first Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine dose or >1 month after the first Moderna vaccine dose, there is no need to restart the series.

So, I don't know which authorities are correct. It should either be a unanimous "yes" or "no" among experts.

Nonetheless, we should all continue to wear masks, social distance, and wash our hands frequently, with or without being vaccinated.

For you, and the residents, who are able to fill out the form and provide ID, I hope that the vaccine comes to you. Would it be helpful if you contacted the CVS near you to explain that many of your residents might be unable to fill out the form? Perhaps there would be another way for CVS to serve your community, without the form, or adapt the forms to make it easier for residents to complete it.

A language barrier, or a disabling condition or serious medical issue, shouldn't mean that a person is denied a vaccine during a pandemic. In my book, that is discrimination. One size does not fit all.

Virginia ~

That is great news that your brother and SIL are negative now. It may take longer for your brother to recover given his heart condition. That said, what a blessing it is that he is recovering. I'm sure that you and they are relieved. May they continue to improve.

Stay safe and well everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Working...
                              X