January 2021: Keep on Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

January 2021: Keep on Moving

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves that.

Rabbit Rabbit...

I swam this morning. And then promptly got a spasm in my foot while putting on my sock. I hate this disease. But the swim was nice. It is warm in Florida today :)
    Yesterday I walked 1,000 steps.

Comment

Nice way to start the year, Sunshine--I mean the swimming, not the spasm.

I had to do quite a bit of extra housework in recent days because of the inspections. I prefer doing housework occasionally and at my own pace instead of having to get everything all neat and tidy for one specific time but these things happen.

In the last couple of days I've swept the patio, carpet swept the carpet, mopped both floors (with disposable mop thingies), cleaned the bathroom (skipped the tub), cleaned the glass on the patio doors and cleaned the patio blinds, cleaned the stove (easy because the oven wasn't dirty since I don't do any serious cooking), and did a lot of decluttering.

I was intending to do the other two blinds, which are much bigger and involve a stepstool, but didn't get to that. I do have a special gadget for cleaning blinds but there's still a lot of standing involved. I've devised a way of marking my place on the blind so I can take a break and come back to it later. I put a piece of Scotch tape or a post it note on the blind I need to do next.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

That’s ALOT of work agate! Talk about Keep On Moving!

Comment

You two are really going, going!

Agate, you just gave me a way to mark my inside plantation shutters when I am cleaning them and have to stop.
          Virginia

Comment

I swam today. Will cook and rest of the day rest. Yesterday I walked 1200 steps Fromm 4:25 pm until 7:25pm and of that 56 were done to, and from the pool, to the shower and out of shower to my dry clothes.
            Last edited by Sunshine 2; 01-02-2021, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Sunshine, I just don't see how you do it. It is amazing that you walk so much even when you are sick.
              Virginia

Comment

Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                Sunshine, I just don't see how you do it. It is amazing that you walk so much even when you are sick.

Yes, I agree! I believe you said you do better later in the day and that's when you do most of the walking?

I figured up my average stepcount for December: 1,713 steps/day based on only 25 days because pedometers were being pesky.
                Last edited by agate; 01-03-2021, 08:25 AM.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

WOW agate, you are my hero.

Yes, I think late in the day walking is because my last muscle relaxant, Klonopin, is given only 2.5 hours after the previous one, rather than the 4 hour gap.

Comment

I swam this morning , then I cooked dinner, and i had help cleaning up. The rest of the day is rest and self care. After 4:30 pm I will use the rollator as the extra muscle relaxant helps me walk. I aim for 1000 steps, and typically range from 1000 to 1200 steps.

That might be my last swim for a while: this coming week will have early morning temps in the 40s and its the only time my legs can swim without spasms, and when DH is home from work.

There are a lot of terrible medical things going on right now in my family. I will let you know if I drop my time here for a week or two.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

I am so sorry that your family is having medical issues. I am sending healing prayers and positive energy for all of your family.

Thank you, everyone here, for your inspiration. I have started walking again, because of your example. I am starting out slow, because I haven't walked for months. My first walk was Wednesday. My legs were a bit wobbly, but I persevered and walked 1/2 mile.

My second walk was today, and I encountered one of my favorite neighborhood dogs, Snowcone, a white lab, with her master, who lets her walk off leash. (That is a violation of our HOA, but he's been doing this for years with his dogs.)

Snow came around a corner, saw me, and walked right up to me. I couldn't resist her sweet eyes, so I petted her with my gloved hand. Her master rounded the corner a couple of minutes later, and he stood on the greenbelt about 10 ft from me, which is good, because he was mask-less. I always wear a mask whenever I go outside, even to get mail.

When I arrived home, I took the trash bins out to the street for pick up. Three bins from the side yard, and I have to make two turns on the walkway and driveway to get them to the street. Our driveway is sloped, which also presents a challenge keeping them and me balanced as we get to the bottom.

By the time I finished that, I had 2/3 mi on my pedometer.

For the rest of the day, I did 2 loads of laundry, emptied the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen, pulled a 20 lb box of fresh oranges from the front porch into the house, and then I rested. I had a lengthy list of chores to do today, but I was tuckered out.

I hope that I can continue my walks and get stronger. I definitely notice my weakness from not walking for so long. I also noticed that I am standing just slightly straighter after my walks, which is a huge plus, since I feel like I'm folding in half sometimes.

So, thank you all for inspiring me into returning to my walking routine.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Rose, that sounds like a very strenuous day! Congratulations on resuming the walking!

Today I stood long enough to repot a violet that badly needed a pick-me-up of some kind, and I tended to a bunch of broccoli. But all too much time was spent on the phone in the last couple of days, just trying to sort out a couple of problems with the recent grocery/pharmacy delivery.

The groceries arrived yesterday but I was being charged $112 extra for a "past due" pharmacy charge. I knew that was wrong but it took time to sort it out. One of the rx's that was to be delivered yesterday didn't get here either, and I kept looking at the pharmacy's Website to figure out when or if it would be ready.

The pharmacy is still adjusting to filling this new rx (generic Copaxone) for me, and this was the first refill. I get a supply for exactly 28 doses each month but this month, thanks to the 10 days they took to refill the rx, I'll miss a dose this coming Wednesday because I'll be out of it.

Luckily for me, the 3-times-a-week Copaxone allows for some flexibility. I can get away with waiting till Thursday for that shot, take it on Thursday, then I'll put off the usual Friday shot till Saturday, and by Monday I'll be back on track--until it's time for another refill, and I might have another problem with the pharmacy.

I'm thinking about PillPack instead. Does anyone use it? It seems to be part of Amazon now? I even contacted Pill Pack and learned that they would be able to handle this injectable drug.

Comment

Great job Rose! I hadn’t realized that walking had gotten hard for you.

Comment

Good for you Rose. Now you know you can keep going.

Agate, I too spent much of yesterday on the phone - trying to get a new credit card and trying to find out about the new way I am going to get Rebif. It will be a completely different specialty pharmacy for me. This is because my new insurance wants me to use this one instead of the one I am accustomed to. I think there was something else I needed to straighten out, but I don't remember what it was.
                            Virginia

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate and Virginia ~

Your tales of trying to get your meds just infuriates me! I'm reminded of all of the roadblocks I encountered trying to get meds for Michael, Jon, and Jim. You shouldn't have to be "flexible" with your doses. There is a specific reason why you are taking these meds, and you need them!

I want to blame it on pharmacies and the entire medical system being overwhelmed by COVID, but we know that it's been this way pre-pandemic.

Like your neighbor's meds, agate, these meds are "critical" to your health, well being, and survival.

Bringing it back to our focus to keep moving, this creates stress, and stress is exhausting. That exhaustion reduces our energy to keep moving. Stress is also detrimental to our immune system.

So, my heart goes out to you as you try to get your vitally needed meds. Praying you get them sooner rather than later. Then you can rest for awhile.

Sunshine ~

I have RA, PA, and osteoporosis, so my body is basically crumbling.

Why I have lasted this long is probably because I've exercised most of my life. Walking became my exercise of choice for many reasons. I feel better when I exercise. I have less pain, and I seem to be able to straighten up a little more.

Today, I walked 2/3 mi including bringing the bins in from the street, up the driveway to the side yard.

My goal is to keep walking, but I will also allow myself an off day, if I'm not feeling up to it. I know my limitations.

We can't do better than our best, which is what we are all doing.

Anything you can do today, with all you're facing, is enough. This is the lesson I continue to teach myself.

Keep moving at your own pace and in your own way.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
                              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Working...
                              X