This new board--comments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This new board--comments

Why not have a thread devoted to any comments people have about this upgraded board?

If you find out something about how things work around here, just let people know here, or if you have a question about how things work here, just ask it--and probably be told to click on "Contact Us" but there's just a chance that somebody here will be able to answer it.

I'll start this off.

If you recall how you could see who was online at the bottom of the screen here on the MS forum? You can't do that now but you can click on Forums at the top left of the page and see it on that page. The admins might change things as time goes by, and so this may change eventually. For now, though, that is how to find out just who is here as long as the person isn't viewing in the "Invisible" mode.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Thank you, Agate.

Does anyone know anything about other “skins” I think they’re called. I could use some colors.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

Having different skins to choose from would be great! I'm fairly sure it's possible here but the admins might not have set it up yet or might have reasons for not putting them on here.

I hope Brian (Random Thought) or someone else who knows more than I do will correct me on this but I think that sometimes if you add one feature, something else in the same setup gets gummed up. There might be some problem with adding more skins.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatiramer acetate since December 2020.

Comment

Forum Feedback is still here, and the people in charge are replying to posts there. It's called BrainTalk's Feedback Forum now.

ANN, that would be a good place for your question about skins if you'd like to ask over there.

Virginia, the same goes for your question about fonts.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I feel like I've been enrolled in a technological device course this year! I had to set up and learn how to use my new iMac, and I'm still learning. I had to get a new cell phone and learn how to use it. Now, BrainTalk has a new format. I know that it is more modern and up to date, and we had to have it upgraded, but I miss the old format. Comfortable, easy, like A cozy blanket, the perfect pillow, or well worn shoes.

I'm still trying to figure out my settings here. I reset my PM setting, so I hope I am able to receive PMs now. I'm not sure that I did what was needed to be done.

I really miss the New Posts tab we had on the old format. That was my go-to button to see new posts from all forums. The "Latest Activity" on this new format is confusing me. Also the "Trending" column. What does that mean? Are we social media now?

To get to the most recent post in a thread, I either have to scroll at the top to the last page, or scroll down to the bottom to click on the number of the last page.

It was much easier in the old format. And, I don't want to see the latest post at the top of the first page, because that seems to put the thread out of chronological order.

Paring down my signature saddened me. I had to edit out so much of it that it isn't a fitting tribute to my Angels now. But, my favorite photo of them is now my avatar. So, they are here with me and all of you.

Eventually, I will adjust to this change. Change is difficult for me, because I've been inundated with change for the past few years. I just want something that is constant and consistent with what I know, and not be something that I have to learn to do or cope with. Which reminds me: my fridge/freezer is acting strangely, and neither John nor I could figure out what it is. I'm just waiting for it or another appliance to need to be replaced.

That's just me and where I am right now. We have to move forward and keep up with the modern times.

I hope that everyone is able to find their way back to BT and navigate the changes without difficulty. Profile and User Settings are important.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!

PS: IN LIEU OF A THANKS BUTTON ~ THANKS!
          Last edited by Earth Mother 2 Angels; 03-28-2021, 03:43 PM.
          Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Hang in there, Rose!

I've floated around among various message boards for years, and when there's an upgrade, there's an adjustment period (sometimes taking months) while those in charge tinker as needed to try to get things in working order to everyone's satisfaction. My guess is that we'll get our signatures back eventually.

About PMs: I posted about them in the Feedback Forum because there's no way of finding out how near your message limit you are. They're working on that.

I'm not sure what the Trending column is either. Thanks for calling my attention to it. I'll keep an eye on it and see what it's about. It could be a way of listing posts that have a few page views--?

Isn't Latest Activity very similar to the old New Posts tab? The only difference I'm seeing is that if you click on Latest Activity here on the MS board, you get only the latest posts on the MS board, but if you go over to the main page--called Forums--and click on Latest Activity, you'll see all of the latest posts on all boards.

It's a different-looking screen. We do have to get over the shock of looking at something unexpected, but I think that you'll get comfortable with this new board pretty soon.

I know what you mean about worrying about what is going to conk out next. I feel that way about (a) the Internet, (b) my computer, (c) my iPad, (d) electricity in general, (e) the toilet, (f) the stove, (g) the toaster oven, (h) the Medical Guardian system, (i) the TV, (j) the caption phone, (k) the cellphone, and I could go on indefinitely. There's always something going haywire. I hope your fridge will play nice and decide to keep on purring for you.
            Last edited by agate; 03-28-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post

Paring down my signature saddened me. I had to edit out so much of it that it isn't a fitting tribute to my Angels now. But, my favorite photo of them is now my avatar. So, they are here with me and all of you.

Love & Light,

Rose

PS: IN LIEU OF A THANKS BUTTON ~ THANKS!
              Hi Rose :)

I did not think that the custom settings I had for signatures would change (they weren't supposed to). So I have doubled the size of the signature allowed :) I will be addressing/working on the other issues people have all this week and onward :)
              Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
              Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
              Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
              Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
              Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
              Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
              Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Comment

I was posting a link to a magazine in the Useful Websites sticky thread, and found that posting a link is a bit different here. You go to that link icon in the upper left of your message window and then your link will be not just a link but other material that goes with it--and you can edit some of that out if you want.

The magazine is Brain and Life, and along with the link I saw the Brain and Life logo, plus the words "trusted by neurologists" and a blurb about what a great magazine it is. I was able to remove the blurb and the "trusted by neurologists" part and just post the link and the logo. We'll have a lot more leeway when posting links here.
                Last edited by agate; 03-28-2021, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Rose, since Mike did not address this question in your post I will tell you the easiest way I found to get to the latest post is I just click on the page number then to the right you will see the last page number put that in place of page 1 and hit enter. Fast, easy and it works for me.
                  Virginia

Comment

If you look at the Account section in User Settings, you'll find something called Reputation Level. I haven't had the courage to check this but has anyone tried it? What's it about?

I vaguely recall something like this on some other message board. You got awarded a certain number of stars depending on how many posts you'd racked up. You might have had a choice of goodie for the award (stars or trophies or whatever).

Is this something we want? Just asking. The admins might be willing to remove or disable this feature if it's not wanted.
                    Last edited by agate; 03-29-2021, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• Lazarus
                      Lazarus commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good comments Agate...no, it is not a useful feature but a divisive one if anything.

Oops! Very little time is allowed for editing posts -only a couple of hours apparently.

I'll need to make sure I'm saying what I want to say before I actually post it. I'm not complaining--just letting people know. If anyone has a problem with the narrow editing window, now may be the best time to speak up. Some of us are slow at putting words together and like to come back and improve on our posts later. I'm one of those people but I can get used to the change, I'm sure, and readers will probably be glad that posts can be edited later on. It makes it harder for someone to come in here and post something insulting and then come back and edit it out.

EDITED TO ADD: --Not that anyone here would ever post anything insulting.
                    Last edited by agate; 03-29-2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Thank you to all of you for responding to my dilemmas and concerns.

I am gradually trying to implement your suggestions. I can't figure out how to reply directly to a PM. I still find the Latest Activity on the main page to be confusing. I'm not sure whether my privacy settings are correct. Etc.

Also, I preferred our old "Thanks" to the new "Like."

Today, my new cell phone gave out.

I didn't see that one coming so soon!

John will visit tomorrow to help me figure it out. Fun times ...

Be well, stay safe, wear your mask and social distance. You are all in my prayers.

Love & Light,

Rose

THANKS!
                      Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I agree, Rose--I preferred "Thank" to "Like." They're not quite the same, are they?

Tomorrow if you have time you can send me any PM you like and we can practice doing PMs. I just deleted a bunch of my old PMs so as not to run out of space.

Too bad about the cellphone failure! If it isn't one thing, it's another--just to keep us on our toes, maybe?

I think I listed electricity as one of my worries yesterday. As if on cue, last night we had a power outage here. It lasted 12-13 hours for some people in the building. I hit it lucky for some reason--mine was out only an hour or two. Just glad it's no longer mid-winter as it can get cold here might fast in winter when the power goes out.

Comment

Or if you have trouble sending PMs, I can send one to you and you can reply.

Comment

I also prefer the old thanks - boy are we all creatures of habit!
                            Virginia

Comment

Working...
                            X