Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

partial seizure questions?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    partial seizure questions?

    So today I met somebody really cool who has epilepsy. She told me what her seizures felt like which involve drooling and tingling. I realized she was describing a partial seizure and she was impressed I knew what a seizure was and what type. I may end up working with her so I just wanted to know some stuff about partial seizures. What do they look like??? I witnessed someone with brain damage have a dizzy spell where the eyes rolled rapidly as part of another brain condition and if seizures look anything like that I want to prepare myself so I don't scream if she has one in front of me. Is there anything I can do to help her during a partial seizure?? I read basic stuff online already and will ask her too but I was just curious as to what your advice might be? Is there anything you wish other people would do when your not able to communicate during a seizure??? What do you do for post seizure fatigue?
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

    #2
    I think there are many dozen ways a partial seizure "works". My most usual kind - for me - was a strange "rolling" feeling starting in my hip area and swooping upward fast. When it hit my head/brain I could not speak or move. I just licked my lips and stared for a few (20?) seconds and then it was over. Well, mostly over - I still could not speak clearly for a minute or 2.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jingle View Post
      I think there are many dozen ways a partial seizure "works". My most usual kind - for me - was a strange "rolling" feeling starting in my hip area and swooping upward fast. When it hit my head/brain I could not speak or move. I just licked my lips and stared for a few (20?) seconds and then it was over. Well, mostly over - I still could not speak clearly for a minute or 2.
      Thanks so much! Wow!!! Does it feel like you can't control the muscles for speech? Or that you can't think of any words? Just curious.
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

      Comment


        #4
        Hi funnylegs,
        Often when I have a partial seizure I will smell odd odours like deviled eggs or something burnt, along with natural gas. I also get a nervous feeling in my stomach and see colors in a zig zag pattern
        flash back and forth in my eyes. This may last for about 10-15 seconds at the most and then it will sometimes cause me to go into a absence or complex partial seizure. Years ago my neurologist taught
        me that the moment I get any of these feeling to tighten up all the muscles in my body and make my hands into tight fists and this stops the seizure. It has worked great over the yrs. Also try using cold water therapy which is putting a cold washcloth on the persons face and back of their neck by doing this it calms the neurons down in the brain and stops the seizures. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

        Sue

        Comment


          #5
          Hi funnylegs4,

          Partial seizures fascinate me, for many reasons. I love to hear detailed descriptions of others' simple partials. They can be so very unique!
          The name "partial seizure" was given to be less vague than the term "petit mal", or french for "little bad". The term "Grand Mal" or "Big Bad" was anything that involved total impairment of conscientiousness.

          A Simple Partial seizure is a focal seizure that does not impair any conscientiousness. This means the the seizure is focused in a certain area(s) of the brain, though the person is totally awake and (usually) remembers the seizure took place. Even then, a partial seizure can even be very focused, involving a specific area, without impairing any part of conscientiousness. This is called a simple partial seizure. One that may affect more areas of function, and cause partial impairment of conscientiousness would be a Complex Partial seizure. The person may not remember having the seizure.

          Now, lets analyze this in theory. Simple partial seizures, are very focused, and can occur anywhere in the brain. It usually occurs in the area of function where they are focused, affecting that specific area of the brain and what it is responsible for. Though for some people it can spread to surrounding regions, even cross hemispheres, and become a tonic clonic seizure. (secondary generalization) When one looks at it in this light, a simple partial seizure can manifest anywhere in the brain. Since the brain controls everything we feel, do, our emotions, everything....

          A simple partial can feel like anything, it can cause the body to do anything. It all depends on the person. They can be very unique.

          When I have one, I can only describe it as an extreme sense of anxiety. Really, I use that because there are no other good words to describe it with. There's a lot more to describe, I'm just at a loss for words. It's completely indescribable! I have not felt anything else like it. Nothing comes close. It just feels like a seizure!
          I have to be careful, because mine very well can spread across hemispheres as I described above and become secondarily generalized tonic clonic seizures.
          I consider myself lucky. The simple partial always precedes the tonic clonic, now by a long period. I usually get more than an hour, but at least a good 20 minutes. I have a good shot at fighting them off. A sublingual high CBD spray seems to help in conjunction as an intervention.

          For me, the first feeling is a horrible experience. Then, each one becomes a learning experience for the next one.
          Firehorse
          *fire*rodeo

          Comment


            #6
            I normally have Complex Partial seizures with no memory at all, I once walked through an alarmed door. But tonight I had a seizure that that was truly different from anything I experienced. I was completely conscious, or so I thought. I just remember feeling strangely out of body, and extremely dizzy.

            Comment


              #7
              ((((((Shakey girl)))))) ~

              TO BRAINTALK!

              We're glad you found us!

              How long have you had seizures? How frequently do they occur? Are you taking any medication?

              For some people, seizures may change from time to time. New types may occur, as you've described, or new symptoms might occur.

              You should probably share this seizure with your neurologist. And it might be a good idea to note if this type of seizure occurs again. Time of day, duration, what you were doing prior to the seizure. Any diet changes or lack of sleep/rest, or extra stress.

              Thank you for joining us! May you be seizure-free!

              Love & Light,

              Rose
              Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Shakey girl View Post
                I normally have Complex Partial seizures with no memory at all, I once walked through an alarmed door. But tonight I had a seizure that that was truly different from anything I experienced. I was completely conscious, or so I thought. I just remember feeling strangely out of body, and extremely dizzy.
                Thanks! Rose is right. You should bring up the new seizure with your doc to see what may be causing it. If you are dizzy it could also be something else that is serious. Please get checked out. As I mentioned in the above post I met somebody who had dizzy spells that did almost look like seizures to me because of how his eyes would move back then rapidly in circles, so I was really scared he might be having a small seizure without knowing it. He was fully conscious during the dizzy spells.
                Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                Comment


                  #9
                  Many different sensations are involved with simple partials.

                  It all depend on which location in the brain the seizure activity occurs.
                  It may be:
                  Deja vu,
                  Sounds,
                  Smells,
                  Tastes within the mouth,
                  Tingling,
                  Memory flashbacks,
                  or any number of other sensations.

                  Mine are very confusing because my simple partials give me exactly the same sensations that I get with low blood sugar (except that low glucose also eventually leads to sweating and shaking.)

                  With a complex partial, we are not even aware of the fact that it has happened.
                  Last edited by howdydave; 07-22-2017, 11:51 AM.
                  Dave
                  Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                  www.howdydave.com

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by howdydave View Post
                    Many different sensations are involved with simple partials.

                    It all depend on which location in the brain the seizure activity occurs.
                    It may be:
                    Deja vu,
                    Sounds,
                    Smells,
                    Tastes within the mouth,
                    Tingling,
                    Memory flashbacks,
                    or any number of other sensations.

                    Mine are very confusing because my simple partials give me exactly the same sensations that I get with low blood sugar (except that low glucose also eventually leads to sweating and shaking.)

                    With a complex partial, we are not even aware of the fact that it has happened.
                    Thanks so much! So you have both epilepsy and diabetes then I'm guessing??? Can't low blood sugar also lead to seizures if its severe enough??
                    Does low blood sugar also make you dizzy? My friend has a brain injury that contributes to episodes of dizziness and is also diabetic so I always wonder if the blood sugar levels are effecting the dizziness. I was never sure since his symptoms seem to come and go on their own instead of getting progressively worse like I have been told low blood sugar would progress if the person doesn't eat. Low blood sugar symptoms don't come and go in the early stages do they? Let me know?
                    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                      Thanks so much! So you have both epilepsy and diabetes then I'm guessing??? Can't low blood sugar also lead to seizures if its severe enough??
                      Does low blood sugar also make you dizzy? My friend has a brain injury that contributes to episodes of dizziness and is also diabetic so I always wonder if the blood sugar levels are effecting the dizziness. I was never sure since his symptoms seem to come and go on their own instead of getting progressively worse like I have been told low blood sugar would progress if the person doesn't eat. Low blood sugar symptoms don't come and go in the early stages do they? Let me know?
                      Howdy funnylegs!

                      Different people have different "triggers" that set off their seizures.
                      To the best of my knowledge, my epileptic and diabetic incidents have nothing to do with each other.

                      The only thing that makes it confusing is that the same sensations are involved.
                      Lightheadedness and something like vertigo (balance problems) are the basic symptoms.

                      If I break out into a sweat, I should consume some carbohydrates (I carry dextrose tablets) because, if I don't, uncontrollable shaking is the next step in low glucose (for me.)
                      Last edited by howdydave; 09-16-2017, 11:40 AM.
                      Dave
                      Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                      www.howdydave.com

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by howdydave View Post
                        Howdy funnylegs!

                        Different people have different "triggers" that set off their seizures.
                        To the best of my knowledge, my epileptic and diabetic incidents have nothing to do with each other.

                        The only thing that makes it confusing is that the same sensations are involved.
                        Lightheadedness and something like vertigo (balance problems) are the basic symptoms.

                        If I break out into a sweat, I should consume some carbohydrates (I carry dextrose tablets) because, if I don't, uncontrollable shaking is the next step in low glucose (for me.)
                        Thank you so much!

                        So if it's a seizure there are NO other symptoms besides the lightheadedness and vertigo??

                        Only asking for my friends' sake as he is still trying to figure out exactly what triggers his dizzy spells. He never thought they were seizures but still…let me know?
                        Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                        My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                        Comment


                          #13
                          In my case, the only trigger that I am aware of is when my immune system kicks in.

                          This can be anything from the first indications of a cold (about a day or two before any other symptoms), an abrasion, a cut, or anything else that leads the body to fight off any type of infection.
                          Dave
                          Ego sum quis ego sum quod ut est quicumque ego sum - Popeye
                          www.howdydave.com

                          Comment


                            #14
                            When I have a SP I just stair ahead & move my mouth/jaw a little.
                            Lorraine (lor)

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X