Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips On How To Cope Up With Stress In Homeschooling

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Tips On How To Cope Up With Stress In Homeschooling

    Guys, I wanted to ask some of your insights on how you do your homeschooling and still be able to take a breather. Thank you

    #2
    I was homeschooled when I was young for a short period and if my family needed a breather I was given an assignment that I could do independently and I had a schedule that clearly defined what were "school hrs" and what hrs were used for other things. The trouble with COVID19 is that everyone is restricted so much that it's not like regular homeschool i.e I had field trips and extra curricular activities in regular homeschool that are not available now.
    I teach a little myself now so let me know if you need more help.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
      I was homeschooled when I was young for a short period and if my family needed a breather I was given an assignment that I could do independently and I had a schedule that clearly defined what were "school hrs" and what hrs were used for other things. The trouble with COVID19 is that everyone is restricted so much that it's not like regular homeschool i.e I had field trips and extra curricular activities in regular homeschool that are not available now.
      I teach a little myself now so let me know if you need more help.
      Yes that is true! Homeschooling seems a lot of fun and learning especially when families can have field trips and have an actual experience. But due to Covid19, parts of homeschooling are constrained.

      Just wanted to ask also, what are you doing when the kids are kinda overwhelmed? Thanks in advance.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
        I was homeschooled when I was young for a short period and if my family needed a breather I was given an assignment that I could do independently and I had a schedule that clearly defined what were "school hrs" and what hrs were used for other things. The trouble with COVID19 is that everyone is restricted so much that it's not like regular homeschool i.e I had field trips and extra curricular activities in regular homeschool that are not available now.
        I teach a little myself now so let me know if you need more help.
        @funnylegs4 thanks for sharing. Good to know someone who is homeschooled. I have tried giving a seatwork or an activity to my son for me to kinda breathe. But it aint enough so sometimes I request to take an off even half day.

        I like homeschooling because of the pacing and the actual real life experience but with the present covid situation, travelling is restricted. I am looking for means to still enjoy homeschooling with my kid.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by daughtergaited View Post
          Yes that is true! Homeschooling seems a lot of fun and learning especially when families can have field trips and have an actual experience. But due to Covid19, parts of homeschooling are constrained.

          Just wanted to ask also, what are you doing when the kids are kinda overwhelmed? Thanks in advance.
          Right now I'm currently teaching young adults so it's a different dynamic, that being said if the student is overwhelmed break the lesson down into smaller bits, and take short breaks. Or turn the big lesson into a few small lessons. If the details are overwhelming try giving an overarching view first and take the details one step at a time. Relate whatever you are teaching to your students interests and try to explain why a certain thing has to be learned and why the topic might be useful in an everyday life situation i.e I learn math best if the math is related to a subject I know and is grounded in a real life situation like getting a paycheck etc. Also try to figure out what parts of the day are best for absorbing info, some students are more open to info at certain times of day or have less fatigue in certain hrs. Does this help?
          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SweetChoco View Post
            @funnylegs4 thanks for sharing. Good to know someone who is homeschooled. I have tried giving a seatwork or an activity to my son for me to kinda breathe. But it aint enough so sometimes I request to take an off even half day.

            I like homeschooling because of the pacing and the actual real life experience but with the present covid situation, travelling is restricted. I am looking for means to still enjoy homeschooling with my kid.
            You're very welcome! Are you distance learning via an existing school curriculum that is sent to you? Or are you doing traditional homeschool? I did traditional homeschool and when I teach myself I build the lesson plans myself so the breathers are already built in. You can choose days you need off in traditional homeschool, i.e family event days I had no school work etc and would catch up on the other days, so it was a bit like when public schools had religious breaks or weekend breaks. If you have a private yard I would suggest doing lessons outside to spice things up. Depending on the age your son is you can order educational science and math games to be delivered to your home in intervals, I see things like this advertised a lot. When I was a student I was told to watch videos and documentaries on the topic and then write short 250 word responses and it turned out my college professors used this method a ton as well LOL so you can assign something for your son to watch to give yourself a breather. I would recommend PBS and NatGeo documentaries. Does this help?
            Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
            My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

            Comment


              #7
              Hi

              A lot of parents and kids ventured out to homeschooling due to the pandemic. And this set up is really new to parents especially to those who came from traditional school. I knew a few parents who are complaining because (1) they dont have the ability to teach their kids, (2) they are working, so they dont have time to teach their kids, and (3) they lack educational resources.

              I have been homeschooling my 2 kids for around for a year already. At first, it is really hard and challenging - well it is still challenging but I was able to manage stress through homeschooling community. Then just last week, as I was looking for homeschooling materials for my eldest child, I came across this article and it somehow gave me insight that homeschooling should not be perfect especially during this pandemic where places are still in lockdown (Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...). You may want to check it out - it is helpful to relieve your stress.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by daughtergaited View Post
                Hi

                A lot of parents and kids ventured out to homeschooling due to the pandemic. And this set up is really new to parents especially to those who came from traditional school. I knew a few parents who are complaining because (1) they dont have the ability to teach their kids, (2) they are working, so they dont have time to teach their kids, and (3) they lack educational resources.

                I have been homeschooling my 2 kids for around for a year already. At first, it is really hard and challenging - well it is still challenging but I was able to manage stress through homeschooling community. Then just last week, as I was looking for homeschooling materials for my eldest child, I came across this article and it somehow gave me insight that homeschooling should not be perfect especially during this pandemic where places are still in lockdown (Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...). You may want to check it out - it is helpful to relieve your stress.
                Hey,

                I have just the article and wow that hit me. It made me realize that I am doing some things in the wrong way I often pressure my son the traditional way. And forcing him to focus is not good at all - that we should allow them to feel uninterested sometimes.

                Thanks for sharing - i love it! Share some more.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by daughtergaited View Post
                  Hi

                  A lot of parents and kids ventured out to homeschooling due to the pandemic. And this set up is really new to parents especially to those who came from traditional school. I knew a few parents who are complaining because (1) they dont have the ability to teach their kids, (2) they are working, so they dont have time to teach their kids, and (3) they lack educational resources.

                  I have been homeschooling my 2 kids for around for a year already. At first, it is really hard and challenging - well it is still challenging but I was able to manage stress through homeschooling community. Then just last week, as I was looking for homeschooling materials for my eldest child, I came across this article and it somehow gave me insight that homeschooling should not be perfect especially during this pandemic where places are still in lockdown (Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...). You may want to check it out - it is helpful to relieve your stress.
                  Nice tips. Thanks so much for sharing!
                  Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                  My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                  Comment


                    #10
                    @funnylegs4 what preparation do you recommend if a homeschooler decides to go back to traditional schooling? A mom asked and I dont have any idea. Hoping you could share a few insights. thanks!

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by SweetChoco View Post
                      @funnylegs4 what preparation do you recommend if a homeschooler decides to go back to traditional schooling? A mom asked and I dont have any idea. Hoping you could share a few insights. thanks!
                      I transitioned "back to traditional" school when I went into college. From what I remember it really helped to take some test prep/test taking workshops in a school like environment and structure the end of my homeschool experience more like traditional i.e more work with a tighter deadline so the transition did not feel like a major change. If transitioning back to traditional you may need paperwork proving you completed certain hrs in homeschool in certain states. If transitioning to college you need a GED to prove you finished/graduated in homeschool high school for colleges to accept the student's application. Community college is more open to homeschoolers enrolling. Does this help??
                      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                        I transitioned "back to traditional" school when I went into college. From what I remember it really helped to take some test prep/test taking workshops in a school like environment and structure the end of my homeschool experience more like traditional i.e more work with a tighter deadline so the transition did not feel like a major change. If transitioning back to traditional you may need paperwork proving you completed certain hrs in homeschool in certain states. If transitioning to college you need a GED to prove you finished/graduated in homeschool high school for colleges to accept the student's application. Community college is more open to homeschoolers enrolling. Does this help??
                        Glad I bumped into this thread. My kid just started with homeschooling because of the pandemic. Do you have any idea or suggestion if there is a good source online for a pre-test? Thanks a lot!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Soiled View Post
                          Glad I bumped into this thread. My kid just started with homeschooling because of the pandemic. Do you have any idea or suggestion if there is a good source online for a pre-test? Thanks a lot!
                          I know a few of the online sources. What kind of pre test do you need? For math try: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... maybe.
                          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by funnylegs4 View Post
                            I know a few of the online sources. What kind of pre test do you need? For math try: Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... maybe.
                            Yes we are using khanacademy and I find it very helpful. Other than that, do you have any suggestions for an online pre-test for math, science, english and history. Thanks a lot, I would really appreciate it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Soiled View Post
                              Yes we are using khanacademy and I find it very helpful. Other than that, do you have any suggestions for an online pre-test for math, science, english and history. Thanks a lot, I would really appreciate it.
                              To my knowledge the pre test site my professors always used was Quizlet and they have questions in every subject and I think you can go by grade/age of the student. Here's a history one as an example. Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register... Usually what my teachers also did was get ideas from Quizlet then write the questions in their own words and test us that way. I see that if you just google "pre test in {insert subject} " a ton of sites pop up. If you have access to textbooks or workbooks there tend to be questions and tests within the books that you can use or use the basic idea of what is in the book to make your own pre test.
                              Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
                              My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X