Toilet paper??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toilet paper??

This morning I visited a local Walmart -- one of the largest in the country!! They didn't have a single roll of toilet paper - not one. I had forgotten lemons so I went to my local Walmart -- it's a very big store -- and they had just received a small order of tissue. I watched and that was gone in seconds.

Anyone know why people are so desperate for toilet paper?? I understand the antiseptic hand wash --- but toilet paper?

Originally posted by jingle View Post
    This morning I visited a local Walmart -- one of the largest in the country!! They didn't have a single roll of toilet paper - not one. I had forgotten lemons so I went to my local Walmart -- it's a very big store -- and they had just received a small order of tissue. I watched and that was gone in seconds.

Anyone know why people are so desperate for toilet paper?? I understand the antiseptic hand wash --- but toilet paper?
    My guess is people think we will end up like Italy and stuck inside without any way to wipe our bums. Colleges in NYC are shut down now too Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Jingle, It gives people a sense of control. I don’t think there is a real “danger” of a TP shortage. I saw or heard an interview with a paper company saying that they had warehouses full of TP.

Then there is water. Why do people think there won’t be tap water?
      ANN
      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

((((((Jingle)))))) ~

First, I'm so glad that you are well enough after your surgery to go to Walmart!

I agree with funnylegs4 about the toilet paper hoarding. Also, it may be a panic that if everyone in a family gets C-virus, no one will be able to go to a store to get toilet paper or other staples.

Nancy, Jim's nurse, said she went to Costco, and at the entrance, a sign listed what was out of stock: toilet paper, napkins, disinfectant wipes, etc.

We received an email from Costco, Target and one of our grocery stores about what they are doing to control the virus and stay open. The grocery email was explicit about every surface being wiped regularly, wipes at the front of the store to wipe down shopping carts, and a limit on how many in demand items a customer can buy. It also said that it is working with its distributors to ensure that their shelves are restocked as often as possible.

It's getting serious now about protecting people and trying to put a halt to the spread.

NBA, NHL, MLB all suspended their seasons. March Madness will continue without spectators in the arenas. That's for now, but it could change. The premiere of the new James Bond movie and "Quiet Place 2" have been postponed. Broadway is closed. No shows on Broadway. No sports. TV shows with audiences are now beginning to air without an audience, and that will continue starting next Monday. Late night and day time talk shows. "Good Morning America," all the ABC/Disney shows.

As yet, Disneyland and Disneyworld are still open, as far as I know. If Broadway can close, so can Disney.

I think we should all use a delivery service, as I do with Instacart. The delivery person can dress in an isolation gown, gloves and mask while shopping. Store employees could do the same. No public enters the store, so it's all contained within the shoppers and employees. They should be tested frequently. The shopper could change gown, mask and gloves before delivering to the customer's door. They could notify the customer by app or phone that the groceries are at the front door, and the customer could open the door after they leave to bring them in.

Then, the customer can do what I do with everything I purchase and is delivered, whether it's food or anything else: wipe it down with a paper towel soaked in alcohol. I've been doing this for years to protect Jonathan, Jim, and me from any potential germs from items, which have been handled by countless numbers of people.

Any time I handle money, I clean my hands with alcohol wipes or wash them, if I'm near a sink. I wash my hands when I bring in the mail and when I handle the mail. I wear nitrile gloves as well. If I wear gloves, I wash my hands less.

I think it's wise that events and sports are being postponed during this pandemic. The WHO said that they don't call something a "pandemic" capriciously.

Among celebrities, none other than the beloved Woody, Forrest Gump and Mr. Rogers, Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson announced that they have the C-virus. They are in Australia, where Tom is working on an Elvis film, in which he plays the Colonel. They said that they are fine. Rita had some chills and a bit of fever, but now they just feel like they have colds.

Two things: I've seen many interviews through the years with Tom Hanks, in which he has had a cold. That tells me that his immune system is a bit low. Rita battled breast cancer not too long ago. So, she may also have a compromised immune system.

I suspect that applies to most of us here at BT, so it's important that we avoid places where it can be transmitted. Like the flu, the C-virus appears suddenly. A person can be fine in the morning and be sick by bedtime. The incubation period after exposure appears to be 14 days.

I've been lax about my vitamins and Vitamin D lately, but I'm being fastidious about it now. We all need to eat well, take our vitamins, get plenty of rest, and avoid crowds and germy places.

It might not help, but it cannot hurt for all of us to send positive, healing energy into the Universe.

Love & Light,

Rose
        Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

Originally posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
          ((((((Jingle)))))) ~

First, I'm so glad that you are well enough after your surgery to go to Walmart!

I agree with funnylegs4 about the toilet paper hoarding. Also, it may be a panic that if everyone in a family gets C-virus, no one will be able to go to a store to get toilet paper or other staples.

Nancy, Jim's nurse, said she went to Costco, and at the entrance, a sign listed what was out of stock: toilet paper, napkins, disinfectant wipes, etc.

We received an email from Costco, Target and one of our grocery stores about what they are doing to control the virus and stay open. The grocery email was explicit about every surface being wiped regularly, wipes at the front of the store to wipe down shopping carts, and a limit on how many in demand items a customer can buy. It also said that it is working with its distributors to ensure that their shelves are restocked as often as possible.

It's getting serious now about protecting people and trying to put a halt to the spread.

NBA, NHL, MLB all suspended their seasons. March Madness will continue without spectators in the arenas. That's for now, but it could change. The premiere of the new James Bond movie and "Quiet Place 2" have been postponed. Broadway is closed. No shows on Broadway. No sports. TV shows with audiences are now beginning to air without an audience, and that will continue starting next Monday. Late night and day time talk shows. "Good Morning America," all the ABC/Disney shows.

As yet, Disneyland and Disneyworld are still open, as far as I know. If Broadway can close, so can Disney.

I think we should all use a delivery service, as I do with Instacart. The delivery person can dress in an isolation gown, gloves and mask while shopping. Store employees could do the same. No public enters the store, so it's all contained within the shoppers and employees. They should be tested frequently. The shopper could change gown, mask and gloves before delivering to the customer's door. They could notify the customer by app or phone that the groceries are at the front door, and the customer could open the door after they leave to bring them in.

Then, the customer can do what I do with everything I purchase and is delivered, whether it's food or anything else: wipe it down with a paper towel soaked in alcohol. I've been doing this for years to protect Jonathan, Jim, and me from any potential germs from items, which have been handled by countless numbers of people.

Any time I handle money, I clean my hands with alcohol wipes or wash them, if I'm near a sink. I wash my hands when I bring in the mail and when I handle the mail. I wear nitrile gloves as well. If I wear gloves, I wash my hands less.

I think it's wise that events and sports are being postponed during this pandemic. The WHO said that they don't call something a "pandemic" capriciously.

Among celebrities, none other than the beloved Woody, Forrest Gump and Mr. Rogers, Tom Hanks and his wife, Rita Wilson announced that they have the C-virus. They are in Australia, where Tom is working on an Elvis film, in which he plays the Colonel. They said that they are fine. Rita had some chills and a bit of fever, but now they just feel like they have colds.

Two things: I've seen many interviews through the years with Tom Hanks, in which he has had a cold. That tells me that his immune system is a bit low. Rita battled breast cancer not too long ago. So, she may also have a compromised immune system.

I suspect that applies to most of us here at BT, so it's important that we avoid places where it can be transmitted. Like the flu, the C-virus appears suddenly. A person can be fine in the morning and be sick by bedtime. The incubation period after exposure appears to be 14 days.

I've been lax about my vitamins and Vitamin D lately, but I'm being fastidious about it now. We all need to eat well, take our vitamins, get plenty of rest, and avoid crowds and germy places.

It might not help, but it cannot hurt for all of us to send positive, healing energy into the Universe.

Love & Light,

Rose
          Hi Rose,

I agree with everything you wrote. Disney in CA is closed now last time I checked. As for Tom Hanks, I believe one of my local news outlets mentioned that Tom Hanks is immune compromised because he is a diabetic. I have a few close friends who I have mentioned here who have diabetes and we can’t see each other in person now because if they get exposed to the virus it can be very dangerous to them, perhaps even deadly. I’m terrified for my friend who had the stroke because I’v seen what he’s like when he’s ill in the past, he becomes very, very weak, and I don’t think his little body could handle the virus well. I hope I’m wrong and he stays healthy because a part of me would die if any of them died. I pray for them each day.
          Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
          My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

With all the groups, meetings, things like that closing - so many people will be out of work. People who, for example, play professional basketball earn enough that I think they will be OK. But the people who earn their living preparing and serving food at the games - will they be OK? Things like that.

Comment

I just spent an hour online and on the phone looking for toilet paper. I had planned to get it last week and forgot. My Kroger store is limiting purchases so I was able to order some online for free pick up tomorrow. They are only putting a limited amount on the floor each morning.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

First, listen to how the Italians are coping with the Covid-19 quarantine (Scroll down for the video, have your sound on):

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I watched all of the videos, with tears streaming down my cheeks. What a beautiful way to bond safely during a crisis.

Today, I received an email from Bed, Bath and Beyond, and one of our grocery stores, both stating how they are combating the C-virus with procedures similar to the other stores, who emailed their customers.

For the first time in the over 2 years that I've been ordering from Instacart, almost weekly, I was unable to have my order delivered until Sunday. When I chose "Today" as my delivery option, a notice appeared stating that all of their shoppers were busy today, and Sunday is the soonest my order can be delivered.

I did order Lysol wipes, but the majority of my order was stuff to replenish Jim's needs: apple juice, apple sauce, coconut milk yogurt, eggs ...

I just opened a new bag of toilet paper today, which we had in stock. I didn't know that people would hoard toilet paper, nor that the C-virus would become a pandemic. I try to be prepared for anything. Earthquake, fire, meteor falling to Earth. I also have a case of Attends wipes. So, if we don't have toilet paper, we have them.

With all of the leftover supplies we have for Jonathan, and the ones I've bought for Jim, we could open a clinic.

Jim and I watched a physician from Johns Hopkiins discuss the burden on our hospital systems on a news show today. The doctor said that there aren't enough ventilators available to meet the needs of thousands of people, who may acquire pneumonia from the C-virus. There are also not enough ICU beds throughout the country, should the pandemic spread unabashedly.

Further, he stated that patients with elective surgery, such as a hip replacement, may have their surgeries postponed to accommodate urgent patients and C-virus patients. I suspect that a patient needing hip surgery doesn't have the greatest immune system, so it's best to stay in pain and wait until the C-virus dissipates. And we pray it does.

Jim and I have been self-isolating for many years. Jim feels more isolated than I do, since he can't get out at all now. But, I'm really okay with it, and I have been for decades. I'm protecting my family, keeping us safe, out of ICU, and that has meant giving up a lot of social interaction, including telephone chats.

The new term in 2020 is "social distance", which is at least 3 feet apart from another person. No hand shaking. No fist bumping (that's still the hand). An elbow bump may be okay. Or maybe all we need to do is smile at each other and wish each other well. "Good Morning! Have a beautiful day!"

Prayers and healing, positive energy for all.

Love & Light,

Rose
                Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Today, a man in his 20s (I estimate early 20s) shopped my Instacart order. He started at 1:00 p.m. for a 2-4 delivery window. Halfway through my order, he messaged me, "Most of the rest of things on your list are out of stock. :(".

OUT OF STOCK ITEMS:

Kleenex, any kind
                  Antiseptic wipes, any kind
                  Isopropyl alcohol in bottles, any kind/size
                  Isopropyl swabs/wipes

Bananas, fresh tomatoes, green beans (I was going to make ANN's Basque soup), onions

Non dairy ice cream (Jim's craving these days)

Organic eggs of any kind

Amy's organic baked beans (another Jim fave)

Our favorite breads

He offered to cancel the order, but I asked him to checkout with what he had, because he was able to get the staples for Jim, such as applesauce and apple juice. For some reason, he got me two cans of decaf, which is fine, because I don't want to run out of my "pretend" coffee! Actually, it is very good coffee. Don Francisco's Decaf.

I met him at the door wearing my Biomask and gloves and explained to him that I've been doing this for years, not just because of the C-virus. "We're old, and my husband has cancer. So, we have to be very careful, especially now."

He was so sweet. He said that he was sorry that my husband has cancer, and that he just lost his grandmother to cancer, and several other family members through the years. He's just a youngster, so that is heartbreaking. He said, "The only thing you can do is love each other through it, which I can see you are doing beautifully."

He respectfully stood far away from me, as he described the chaos in the stores. "The shelves are empty at all the stores, and yet people scramble in desperately searching for toilet paper. People are overreacting."

"They're afraid," I replied, "and when people are afraid, they panic."

Then, he gently offered, "But the problem with that is, that people like you and your husband, who are the most vulnerable, are left without the things you need to be safe. That isn't right or fair."

I reassured him that we are fairly well stocked, as I try to be prepared for anything.

As he bid me farewell, he put his palms together in prayer, nodded, smiling, and said, "Bless you. I will pray for you and your husband."

As I unloaded the bags, I washed everything in alcohol twice.

Our shopper had replaced my order for coconut milk yogurt with oatmilk yogurt. After sterilizing the cup, I poured out the yogurt in a bowl. Jim said it was delicious! So YAY!

At the White House press conference today, we learned that the Covid-19 task force spoke to CEOs of national grocery chains, including WalMart. They are doing their best to restock their stores, but they asked that consumers slow down on the hoarding, so that they can meet the demand. "Just buy a week's worth of the essentials, so that there is enough for everyone."

Concern was expressed for "our most vulnerable," elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

"Relax. Just relax. Everything is going to be okay." That was the reassurance to us from the White House today.

Speaking for Jim and me, who are in that "most vulnerable" category, it's a bit difficult to relax, when we're, you know, "the most vulnerable." If we get the flu, the C-virus, or even a simple cold, it could be curtains for us. It feels like we're disposable, when the counter to that is, "The rest of you will be okay, the younger people, the healthier people. It will be just like a cold."

Whatever ... we're old, we're sick, we're expendable. It's the thinning of the herd. Every year, we have a flu, which kills many of "the most vulnerable." Now we have a novel virus to add to our list of "What Might Kill Me Eventually."

I think I'll listen to the Italians singing again.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Now I am getting concerned about people over 65 being quarantined. I have no idea what we will do. I am very concerned about my cats!! This morning I went out and became part of the giant crowds trying to find stuff. I came home with 3 big boxes of litter and a stack of cat food. Hoarding? I don't know.

Comment

((((((Jingle)))))) ~

I don't think that stocking up on cat litter and food qualifies as hoarding. Were the litter and cat food in sufficient quantity on the shelves?

Today, I listened to a couple of experts, who echoed what ANN said about hoarding being a form of control. When we're told that the C-virus is spreading, that there are no vaccines or cures for it, and that we should self-isolate and avoid crowds, people fear the worst. They want to gather up all of the supplies to keep them safe, while they isolate at home.

I understand that visceral response to an extent. When I first heard about the toilet paper and paper towels being devoured by anxious folks, I checked our supply, and I was relieved that we have enough on hand to last us for a couple of weeks. I felt a little like, "Well, at least we don't have to worry about that."

John texted this morning and said that if we need anything from the store, he would try to find it for us. He is a rep for a distributor, so he is in grocery stores and Target every day. He said, "it's just craziness in the stores." Empty shelves everywhere, but still people pouring in to see if they can find that one last roll of toilet paper.

I asked if his teenage daughter's volleyball tournaments were cancelled. He said not only volleyball, but school, and her prom. So, she is not going to school, which I'm sure is not making her or her friends happy. She's very popular, and she is with a group of friends, who do everything together. Boys and girls, some dating each other, some not, just having fun. They are all very smart, athletic, and social. I'll bet the iPhones are buzzing day and night.

My prayer is that this chaos will calm within a week or so. Once it has set in that we're dealing with a pandemic, and life has to change for us, I pray we'll all adjust. Jim and I don't have to adjust. As I told the pharmacy tech today, when I ordered Jim's supplies for tomorrow's port blood draw, "We've been self-isolating long before that term was invented."

Perhaps there are lessons for us here. For example, this will teach us to slow down our pace and not take everything, including toilet paper, for granted. Being forced to be isolated from others might also make us appreciate our loved ones more. It might cause us to be more productive in our home. Clean out that closet or attic that's been unattended for decades. Plant a garden. Paint the house. Read a book sitting in front of a cozy fire or outside on a sunny day.

Maybe we can all embrace the saying, "Life is what you make it."

This has always been our motto in our home. We take Paul McCartney's guidance in "Hey Jude": "Don't make it bad. Take a sad song and make it better."

Every person on Earth is facing the C-virus crisis. Everyone is at risk, some have a risk greater than others. We have to think of each other as neighbors and do our best to contain the virus by following the guidelines of the CDC, WHO and scientists. And as neighbors, we have to help each other any way that we are able to help.

Be safe and well everyone.

Love & Light,

Rose

Comment

Good advice, Rose. And I do not think you’re hoarding either, Jingle. It sounds like less than a month of cat food and litter.

Peter went to work today. On the way home he was able to stop at a well stocked grocery. He asked what I wanted. Well, we needed Kleenex - so he bought a three pack. And I asked for an onion and tulips. Everything is better w onion and tulips just because. He also brought babaganoush and dardara salad.

I was thinking about that onion all day instead of worrying.
                        ANN
                        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Comment

They cancelled my toilet paper order during the night. Refunded my money immediately. All I can hope to do is hit one of the walmarts or krogers by me when they open. I really only need one big package. We may be reduced to using paper towels which I am finding.

Comment

Originally posted by houghchrst View Post
                            They cancelled my toilet paper order during the night. Refunded my money immediately. All I can hope to do is hit one of the walmarts or krogers by me when they open. I really only need one big package. We may be reduced to using paper towels which I am finding.
                            I took myself out to lunch today after I went to Lowe's because the clerk at my Walmart had told me that Lowe's had TP … they didn't.
                            At lunch the waitress said that her Walmart would open boxes of TP and sell between 11 and 1. I didn't believe her but when I finished lunch I went to that Walmart and - wow - they were selling 5 or 6 different brands. Big signs limited each customer to one pkg. I got a pkg of 8 rolls of Northern.
                            I suggest you check with your local Walmart.

Comment

I also don't understand why they are hoarding toilet papers, if it was disinfecting solutions, food and the basic necessities I would understand

Comment

Working...
                              X