BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > General Subjects > Social Security Disability

Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Community Member

Default Discount on phones and television for the disabled

Looking in this forum's archives, I saw a thread about other discounts/benefits for the disabled. The 3rd post in this thread lists a lot of potential ones: Click

Personally, I'm most interested in the discounts on cable TV service and mobile phone service. But, I called Comcast and AT&T, my cable and mobile phone providers. The Comcast rep said they don't even offer discounts to the military. I had no idea military members get a lot of discounts, but apparently that was a big deal to the rep. I did have him check with a supervisor, still no dice.

Call went similar with AT&T. The rep there did offer to connect me to the National Center for Customers with Disabilities or something like that, but she said the description she had of it in her system said they did not offer discounts. She said they could make sure "essential services were provided". Not sure what that means. But, when she said no discounts there, I just said that it was fine, I wasn't interested. I probably will call back tomorrow and ask to talk to the "National Center for Disabled...". If it saves a few bucks, it's worth a phone call...

Anyway, anyone have any tips on how to get these discounts? Is there something I don't know?
Old 06-03-2010, 01:29 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
Looking in this forum's archives, I saw a thread about other discounts/benefits for the disabled. The 3rd post in this thread lists a lot of potential ones: Click

Personally, I'm most interested in the discounts on cable TV service and mobile phone service. But, I called Comcast and AT&T, my cable and mobile phone providers. The Comcast rep said they don't even offer discounts to the military. I had no idea military members get a lot of discounts, but apparently that was a big deal to the rep. I did have him check with a supervisor, still no dice.

Call went similar with AT&T. The rep there did offer to connect me to the National Center for Customers with Disabilities or something like that, but she said the description she had of it in her system said they did not offer discounts. She said they could make sure "essential services were provided". Not sure what that means. But, when she said no discounts there, I just said that it was fine, I wasn't interested. I probably will call back tomorrow and ask to talk to the "National Center for Disabled...". If it saves a few bucks, it's worth a phone call...

Anyway, anyone have any tips on how to get these discounts? Is there something I don't know?
Never speak with the claims rep when dealing directly with AT&T & Comcast. Ask politely yet firmly to speak with the manager or supervisor. You must be persistent. Senior/disabled discounts are not advertised.
Briefly tell the claims rep what the matter is about if asked.

AT&T
National Center for Customers with Disabilities
When I had AT&T, my discount came directly from them, not the NCFCWD. Perhaps each state is different. Anywho, I dealt directly w/the manager. I was a loyal AT&T customer for 35 years. The longer you are a customer with a company and pay your bills on time you most likely can get "whatever you ask for" or at least "negotiate" for what you want.

Comcast
I know Comcast has different discount procedures according to state. Suggest that you deal with the headquarters which is located in Philly.
Start here:
Comcast Investor Relations
One Comcast Center
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2838
Toll-free: 866-281-2100
They should be able to direct you to the proper place, supervisor or manager. Make sure you tell them you do not want to deal directly with a customer service rep. If asked, tell them you are an investor.

Contact the Office of Cable Communications in your state. They will be able to advise you about Comcasts discounts for Seniors/Disabled.

Good luck! There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Community Member

Pookie, I did see your post and thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

It's just that I don't get much done these days and have a couple of other things I got to handle. As soon as I get those done, I'm gonna work on this.

I'll post success/failure and howtos after I try.

Thanks again, Pookie!
Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 AM

Comcast has already given me a $50 per month discount since Verizon has come to my neighborhood. I called comcast and asked to speak to an account manager. I told the account manager that I am considering switching to verizon and asked if they could offer me a competitive price for TV & Internet access so they knocked fifty bucks off my monthly bill to keep me as a customer. Should I push it and ask for a deeper discount because I am disabled?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Community Member

Shellback, yeah, that's a trick I've read about on the internet. I haven't tried it myself, but what they say to do is every time whatever your promotion your under expires, call up Comcast and ask if there are any new promotions you can take advantage of. They'll ask why and just say you were reading about AT&T's offerings, etc..

No idea if they'll stack disability discounts for you...
Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback View Post
Should I push it and ask for a deeper discount because I am disabled?
No harm in trying. Also, ask for a 2 year contract. Verizon has 2 year contracts for their customers who has their bundled services. Use that as your negotiation tactic.
This past Feb I negotiated a 2 year contract w/Verizon for myself. My tactic was "no 2010 COLA & a blind threat to return to Comcast." It worked!
Old 06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Never speak with the claims rep when dealing directly with AT&T & Comcast. Ask politely yet firmly to speak with the manager or supervisor. You must be persistent. Senior/disabled discounts are not advertised.
Briefly tell the claims rep what the matter is about if asked.
Okay, I finally got around to calling and asking about disability discounts on AT&T wireless.

Their discounts sounded more like they're for low income people than for disabled people. Which, sounds fair to me, just because you're disabled doesn't mean you don't have enough money to buy phone service... But, if AT&T offered discounts for disabled, it's not like I'd mind taking one...

AT&T's discount program for disabled and low income people is called Lifeline. It's like 130% of poverty line or participating in a federal program like SSI, food stamps, etc.. Here's a web page for it:

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/ar...ne-link-up.jsp

The lady at AT&T customer service did tell me about some Senior Plan that you don't have to be a senior to take advantage of. It's $30/month for 200 minutes, which I would switch to, but the senior plan doesn't have rollover minutes.

Actually I just did some web searches, all the blogs I found are saying you do have to be over 65. So, maybe some of what that lady on the phone said was wrong?

I didn't do the insist on talking to a manager thing Pookie suggested. All this just came from level 1 support people.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben View Post
All this just came from level 1 support people.
You did good. I NEVER deal w/level 1 folks when I am trying to obtain discounts. Most times, I go over everyone's head & just deal w/Customer Relations. Those folks jump through hoops to keep their customers happy.