BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Child Neurology

Old 05-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Prism in glasses for strabismus?

Hi all,
I went to the ophthalmologist that has been following me since I was an infant (4mo) and he decided to put a prism in my glasses to strengthen my "lazy" eye.....If that aligns my eyes better, he will do another surgery (This will be my 6th one.) I go back in 3 months for a recheck, and I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this...does it work well? It gives me headaches a little right now, which is why I can't tolerate it very much at the moment. I am assuming that will get better with time. Just wondered if anyone had experience with a prism over a lens of eyeglasses?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Noah wears prisms and has for about 3 years. He had 3 surgeries to try to straighten his eyes - they all worked for awhile. But even when his eyes were straight he wasnt using both of them together.

We saw two of the leading "experts" in eye care for CP kids (I won't mention any names). All the suggested was surgery, surgery, surgery.

So I opened my local phone book and started dialing. I just asked if the doctor had any experience with CP kids. Finally I found a doctor who was willing to give it a try - didn't claim to know everything.

We started with the stick on prisms on Noahs glasses. After years of trying to teach him to read he started to figure it out. He advanced 3 grade levels in reading that year. His last two pairs of glasses have had the prisms actually cut into the lenses instead of the stickers.

It hasnt corrected Noah's vision. Without his glasses his eyes still wander. But when hes wearing his glasses his eyes work together.

HTH
Mom to Zac (18, ADD) and triplets Noah (spastic triplegic, seizure disorder, 11 surgeries and much more), Karissa (very mild left hemiplegic) & Jazmine ("was I a preemie too?") former 27 weekers who are now 11 and in 5th grade! Where does the time go????
Old 05-29-2010, 01:59 PM

Lori,
I thank you. The prisms I have stick on my glasses right now. When I was an infant, my eyes wandered so badly that you could hardly ever see my pupils. I won't show many baby pictures to people because my eyes aren't focusing and those who don't know what is going on in them kinda freak. Did it seem like it took a long time for Noah to get used to the prisms? It looks a little funny to me, and I have migraines. I have had a couple in the last few days because it is straining the one eye...but I suppose I will get used to it? My vision on exam was better than they have ever tested me...just the eyes not working together is a problem again.

Also wanted to add that the doctor I see at U of M has a lot of experience with kids with CP and other disabilities. (He is a pedi ophthalmologist but deals with adult strabismus as well) I have been lucky because he has been able to follow me since 4mos old.

Thank you again!
Old 05-29-2010, 02:59 PM

I've had prisms for years (stick on kind) - but they can't make them strong enough any more to get balance.

Basically, the stick-on ones can be made stronger (e.g. I have a 25), but they reduce your vision. The ground in ones don't reduce vision, but can't be very strong.

It might take you some time, and depends if the prism you need stays the same all day or not (and close vs. distance may be different too apparently).
Old 05-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Not sure what strength I have....My doctor used contact paper over one lens once in the past.....This is the first time I have had a prism.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:18 PM

Noah never complained about headaches with the prisms but I know that it was weird for him at first. He didn't like making both eyes work together.

He used the stick on ones at first because she was trying different strengths and we were changing them every couple of months. Once we settled on one we had them ground into his next pair of lenses.

They have been wonderful for Noah, I dont know that he would have ever been able to read without them.

Noah had his first eye surgery at 18 months. His baby pictures are pretty bad too. His pupils were both right at his nose. He and his sisters call it "googly eyes" for some reason. They never got that bad after that first surgery but he did have two more surgeries to try to correct their alignment.
Mom to Zac (18, ADD) and triplets Noah (spastic triplegic, seizure disorder, 11 surgeries and much more), Karissa (very mild left hemiplegic) & Jazmine ("was I a preemie too?") former 27 weekers who are now 11 and in 5th grade! Where does the time go????