BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 03-12-2010, 05:46 AM
New Community Member

Default Weight Loss

Do weight loss medicines and supplements actually work? i know they have to be used with a well balanced diet and exercise but i'm curious, do they actually help? or is it just the exercise and diet? and if they do work, which ones are best?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Distinguished Community Member

What does this have to do with epilepsy?? Just sayin'...

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 03-12-2010, 04:15 PM

Topamax (an anticonvulsant) is also prescribed (off label I would guess) as an appetite suppressant. It affected my appetite when I was on it. Depakote is a dieter's nightmare.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Weight-...max/show/23219
Old 03-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Ditto what Salsa said
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 PM

Hi,
If you are talking about over the counter diet meds they will work until you stop taking them and then a person often will put the weight back on, these drugs are also addictive.
In regards to medication for epilepsy Diamox, tomapax, and Depakene (Depakote) caused me to lose weight. I lost 75 lbs. while taking Depakene in just 4 months. All of these drugs can cause a loss of appetite and in some cases aneorexia from the drug the drug will burn up all the calories even though a person is eating 3 meals a day.
Here's wishing you Well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 PM

I tried Chromium piccolonate to lose weight and started having atonic szs. I stopped, waited a week and tried again and had another atonic, at which point I flushed the stuff. Never had an atonic again. I put on weight while on the tegretol-neurontin cocktail and lost 65 lbs when swtiching from that to lamictal. I'm up 20 lbs in the past 3 years, which is when I started coming off lamictal. I'm off it now (12 days) and the weight seems to be staying put.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:35 AM

Topa worked at controlling my apatite (understatement, SUPPRESSING is more like it), however when I went back to 3 meals a day the weight ballooned in less than 2 weeks and I had to buy new pants. In that case, Pasta was the culprit. Since getting off of Topa I have slowly added about 5-10 pounds.

Lyrica isn't helpful in that either (I'm on it). Lyrica loves carbs, and the weight piles on rather quick if you don't watch what you eat.

I agree with Salsa. I must have gained 30 pounds or more when on Depakote. When I got off of it the weight went away rather quickly, however my waist line didn't go back to it's prior size. Guess it likes to stay the same size.

Before I was brought up to 300mg/day (later 500) of Topa, I could bike 10 miles no problem. After the levels were up in my system, I had NO energy/endurance. Could not bike 2 MILES even. See how it is this spring/summer.

I've gone to low sodium in my diet. Now my snacks are items like popped rice cakes, "healthy" chips and cookies. Mainly due to low sodium content. My water intake is equal to that when I was biking. I could empty a 100oz backpack in 10 miles. Now I drink eight 1/2 liter bottles nearly every day, sometimes more.

--Travis
Old 03-13-2010, 12:41 AM

What is it with the water? It seems like I'm always thirsty.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:41 AM

I don't know about being thirsty, but I mix it with lime/lemon to help lower my bodies pH.

Often if people are thirsty, it may be due to salt intake.

--Travis
Old 03-13-2010, 01:28 PM

I'm one of the few who doesn't even own salt. I know it's in food we eat, but I'm pretty good. When I eat poorly, ice cream is involved.