BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Spinal Disorders

Old 01-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default What do these breathing test (FEV1) scores mean to you.

Does anyone know what these values mean in a breathing test. It has something to do with an individuals FEV1 level vs. Height without Shoes

Height without Shoes (inches)
FEV1 Equal to or less than (L,BTPS)

60" or less

61"-63"

64"-65"

66"-67"

68"-69"

70"-71"

72" or more
Old 01-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Brian:

It is the calculated volume of air or lung capacity that one should have depending on their height. Someone small would expectedly have small lung capacity vs. someone who was taller and has a longer thoracic region.

Usually it is measured before medication is given to open up the lungs, a bronchodilator. Then wait a few minutes and do the test again. If the bronchodilator works, the volume would have increased post treatment.

It's a test used to measure lung volume when Chronic Pulmonary Disease is suspected, to test how much damage has been done and how much elastisity is left in the lungs. The more the damage, the less the lungs can expand and contract as they should. Sometimes people can take a deep breath, but because the elasticity is gone the lungs loss the ability to "recoil" and push the old air out, thus trapping the air. This is bad.

Are you being tested for Emphazema or something else? I cannot remember what the value ranges should be. I was a resp. therapist but I only did pulmonary function tests as a class and it wasn't a very long class at that.

Linda
Old 01-27-2007, 04:22 PM

The technician that took the readings only told me I scored 32% the first time and 35% the second test. She didnt tell me a liter number. I had to have the test to qualify for disability. I was born with Scoliosis and my lungs have never been good. Thanks, Brian
Old 01-27-2007, 04:41 PM

Brian:

Since you have scolios you have Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. That just means your breathing difficulties are due to the decreased space in which your lungs have to expand and contract. You can't possibily fill your lungs to the fullest because there isn't room for them to fully expand.

I'm sorry your having to go through that, but I would think a 33% FEV1 would definately helped you get the disability.

Linda
Old 01-28-2007, 06:11 PM

Brian,
I also had this test done when first admitted to rehab after my cervical spinal cord injury. I am assuming it was done to check how well my diaghragm and other breathing muscles were working, as my injury was high up, at C3/C4. They skipped the bronchodilator part, unless I have forgotten it. Apparently it is also routinely used in high cervical spinal cord injuries. All I remember about my score is that they told me they were surprised -- I scored well above 100%........... and until my accident one week earlier I had been a 1 pack/day smoker (nothing like quadriplegia as a stop smoking program, although I don't recommend it!). My only problem was frequent spasms that made it difficult for me to finish sentences, my voice/breath would give out midstream, or I would periodically suddenly gasp (still do gasp, though less often).

And people don't think riding horses is a valid fitness program, I challenge them to train and care for 2-3 horses every day. When my legs came back 2-3 weeks later after atrophying, they said my inner thigh muscles were still amazingly strong. Not sure how helpful that is in the grand scheme of life, but it is probably the only sport that gives them a good workout. My only real lingering regret........ can't ride anymore, or at least no faster than a walk. Just don't have the balance, sigh...........

Sorry, I digressed. I'm sorry about your poor score on your FEV (forced expiratory volume), but I wish you the best of luck with your disability claim. Are you applying for SSDI? If so, is this your first time, or are you appealing?
If yes, and it is your first time, and you haven't yet filled out your initial long questionnaire, might I suggest you have somebody help you with it? Somebody who is familiar with insurance/healthcare, and knows the type of wordage they are looking for. I got approved first try. I am/was an RN and used to have to send in the documentation to Medicaid and private insurance to get hospital stays/continued days approved for patients. What you write, and don't, makes all the difference. For example, "can only stand for 5 minutes" and "can only walk 25 feet without resting for 5 minutes (in your case, perhaps 'to catch breath')" or "unable to prepare simple meal without assistance" or "requires shower chair to prevent falls while bathing". Just talking about being in chronic pain doesn't cut it, pain is subjective, and you can suffer from pain at work as easily as at home (liable to be their take, not mine). If you want more info, PM me.