BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Headache & Migraine

Old 01-26-2007, 10:29 AM
New Community Member

Default Headaches start while sleeping

I get a new migraine every other day. These headaches always start while I am sleeping. I get decreased vision the first day, after it starts. Does anyone else get migraines starting regularly while they sleep and what, if any, was identified as the cause?
Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Mine nearly always start after sleeping and I can only put it down to one of two things, and that is my neck and/or increased pressure. I am bit of a catch-22 where my migraines go into my neck so I am not sure whether my neck causes the migraine or migraines irritate my neck or bit of both. I have a special pillow which has helped, but if I am going to get a migraine nothing helps.

I think mostly though it is increased pressure in the head from lying down, because no matter even when I am in a migraine, lying doesn't help. Best is to sit in my recliner in the dark with eyes covered.

My one and only way to head off is at the first signs even if its is neuro signs and no pain (weird eye stuff etc) take pain meds and hope for the best!
I think the person who has had more experience of hardships can stand more firmly in the face of problems than the person who has never experienced suffering. From this angle then, some suffering can be a good lesson for life.

His Holiness The Dalai Lama
Old 01-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Hi Annie

most of my worst migraines start while I'm asleep - usually about 3AM

I think it is usually started by either:

1) Grinding my teeth and clenching my jaw and neck muscles - I have TMJ

or

2) Stuffy nose from allergies

or both

I think with either condition I'm already working on a Headache when I go to bed, then the above conditions push me into a migraine

I now take Zanaflex at bedtime (a muscle relaxant that is used for Migraine prevention) and the nighttime migraines have improved a lot

good luck

Linda
Old 01-28-2007, 11:00 AM

Cool

Lexia,

You might want to get this checked out..I've been told that if it hits in your sleep,it can be worse,than if it hits when you're awake..You might even want to consult a neurosurgeon...

Please keep us updated,on how you're doing. Love,Kristin

CoolAngel28~"When life deals you a lemon,make lemonade and brownies." also "Life is like a box of chocolates,ya never know what you're gonna get."
Old 01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Community Member

Hi, how long has this been going on? Please see your GP as soon as possible, and a neurologist if possible. First to make sure there aren't any conditions that need to be addressed immediately, second because headaches are somewhat mysterious, and it takes some detective work to figure out what is happening and how to treat it.

In the meantime, you say these headaches start every other day during the night. When do they end? Do they last one day and then you have a headache free day? Or does it end one evening and the next morning you wake up with a severe headache? Can you describe your headache? Are the sharp or dull? In a certain area of your head?

Since they're happening so regularly I would try keeping a headache diary to see if there are any triggers that you can reduce. Maybe you eat something for dinner those nights before the headaches, or something changes in your schedule. There are lots of possible triggers so try to track as much info as possible for a few weeks. There are also a lot of things that happen in our sleep that are can be hard to catch so be patient.

I get migraines that start at night and they are normally the worst to get rid of, mostly because I can't catch and treat them early like they recommend.

Best Wishes,
AJ
Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM

Default Sleeping migraines

I don't know if you are the type that covers their head when you sleep, especially in the winter when the nights are a little chillier (I sleep with a fan) but if you cover your head you are breathing more carbon monoxide and that can cause a head ache. I too suffer from migraines but I recently noticed that a migraine will wake me, especially this winter, and that my head is kind of covered and it is twice as hard to get rid of it but I take Imitrex for mine and occassionally Excedrin migraine. Don't know if this will help or is even relevant. Good luck in finding the cause.
Christina