BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Aneurysm

Aneurysm Welcome to the BrainTalk Communities Aneurysm Forum

Old 12-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Community Member

Default Residual Neck

I am just wondering if anyone else has had a brain aneurysm, coiled or clipped, and been left with a residual neck. I had a rupture just over 2 1/2 years ago and they coiled it. The dome has fully occluded but the neck has not closed off but has remained stable. It is about 2mm. I am just looking for support I guess as this still makes me feel like I have a time bomb in my head that could go off again. I just am wondering if others may have this problem. Thanks, Zip
Old 12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hey Zip,

I am one year out of Coiling with a Stent as well (to keep the little devil coils in there) ~ so far so good.

I am assuming the residual neck was there from the get go?

Did they talk to you about putting a Stent across the neck and recoiling?

You KNOW we are not supposed to get worried as it only raises our blood pressure so why not call the Coiling Dr. and ask if there is a "fix" for this? Knowledge always eases the fears!

Big Warm Hugs & Happy New Year Zip & stay Chilled

Snore ~ ...and you sleep alone!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Community Member

When you say "residual neck", I believe I am the same. My doctors have always referred to it as "not fully occluded". In my case I assume it means there still is blood entering the aneurysm through a "neck" which is not a good thing. I have had 4 coilings on this annie since the original rupture but they have never been able to put it completely to bed. It is of course a little time-bombish but I have learned to live with it through all the attempts of a good coiling. The next step will be a stent if the giant heads decide it it worth the risk that coiling has.

Good Luck ! Try not to worry ... (easier said than done)
Old 12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
Community Member

The dome of mine is fully occluded it is just the neck that has not closed off. The NS who did the coiling is no longer with the hospital that it was done at. We have talked to my PC about getting a referral for another NS closer to home and in March, after the worse of winter is over, we are going to see a new NS. and see what they have to say about it. It has been stable for 2 1/2 years like I said and everyone says don't worry but I think it is hard especially after going through a rupture! Thanks.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Zip,

When looking for another NS, please think about going to a large teaching hospital that is offering Onyx. I understand from my Neurological Interventionall Radiologist that Onyx is working well with aneurysms that re-channel, or do not become fully occluded.

Also, a NS or a NIR that works in a larger teaching hospital has access to the newest stents and coils, as well as Onyx, and does many more procedures per year than a NS or NIR at a smaller hospital. Experience is very important.

Good Luck!
JulieNH
Old 12-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Community Member

I was also told by the NS that did the coiling after the first angiogram he did to check on the coiling, 6months after my rupture, that he couldn't fit any more coils in. The report we got stated "that the dome of the aneurysm was completely 100% protected with roughly 10% residual neck." I'm not sure how "bad" that is! I haven't been able to get anyone to answer any questions for me, hopefully a new NS come spring will give me some answers to some of my questions. Thanks.