BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Tegaderm Covers for Fentanyl Patches

I had my monthly pain clinic appointment today. Not much changed, except that we upped the dose on my patches a bit.

But, I asked if there was any problem with putting Tegaderm covers over the patches to help them stay on. The nurse said that she thought it might affect absorption a bit, but that they do tell people to put Tegaderm over the patches if they are having problems with them staying on. She also said that I should ask the pharmacist about it when I went to pick up the patches.

So, I did. The pharmacist said the same thing... that she thought it could affect absorption a small amount, and that she recommends not putting a Tegaderm over it if possible, or just putting it on the edges of the patch to help it stay on.

I was wondering what you guys have heard about this, and what Pharmacist Steve and Dr. Steve think about this. Just how much does it affect absorption? Have I been getting a significantly different dose for the past month since I've worn Tegaderm over the patches? Or is it not a big deal?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:43 PM

It is my understanding that Jansen gives out free Tegaderm/Duo-derm/bio-clusive patches for people on Duragesic... I feel confident that if there was ANY RISK of changing the distribution/absorption of the drug.. the FDA and Jansen legal dept would have put a stop to it.

Could the different dosing be from BETTER/longer contact between the drug matrix and your skin or is the tegaderm patch helping to retain body heat in/around the patch/drug matrix and increasing the release of the drug.

Are you changing your patch every 72 or 48 hrs... some patients have reported that -on them - the patch seems to peter-out between 48-60 hrs and find changing the patch very 48 hrs gives better pain management.

If nothing else ... cut a hole in the Tegaderm to keep the drug matrix open to the air .. see if things change..
Old 01-19-2007, 02:51 PM

I change it every 72 hrs, though I have noticed that it doesn't seem to work as great on the 3rd day, but not enough to really complain about it. I am getting better pain relief from the patches than from anything else before, so I am not complaining about them not working or anything... just was curious about the Tegaderm thing. I will try just not putting anything over it, and see how it works.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:59 PM
New Community Member

Default using tegaderms over your fentanyl patches

I have used the patches for a number of years, and they never stuck to my skin properly. When i started using them it was the duragesic patch, and the company that makes that patch would send me the bioclusives or tegaderms in the mail and i use them to cover the patch, and i never noticed that it made any change in the absorption rate of the patch i used the patch alone first, for a number of months before putting the tegaderm over the top. Mabye other people have noticed a difference, but as far as i could tell they still work the same. Now that they have generics i use one that has a dry transfer system, and it works just the same for me weather i use the tegaderm or not.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:02 PM

When I first started using the patch I too needed the bioclusive cover that Jansen provided for free. I never noticed a difference. For some reason about a year ago the patches started sticking just fine so I no longer use them unless an edge opens or I need to change where I had put the patch(I know, not supposed to do that. Again, no difference noted.

A few years ago Jansen stopped sending the bioclusives for free so if they have started again or they are using the tegrederm, please let me know the number to call. I am about out of my last box, which lasted me about 2 years, but it would be nice to get them free again. Thanks!

Melissa
Dx: Cancer(stage 3 Melanoma), Sarcoidosis, Chronic Kidney Stones, Endometriosis(post hysterectomy), DDD, Fibromyalgia, Raynards, Hypermobility Syndrome, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, TMJ, Neuromas, PTSD, Coccydynia
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 PM

I have been using the fentanyl patches since Dec 2006 and pretty much always use a Tegaderm over them, no problems. When I've been in the hospital for mito flares, they always stick a Tegaderm over the patches, too. So I doubt it's a problem.

In terms of getting Tegaderms or Bioclusives for free, I don't know anything about that. I just get them on my own. They are kind of expensive if you get them OTC at the drugstore (about $8 for 10 of them), but are much cheaper if you buy them in bulk online.

I used to buy them but now I have ended up with a small stockpile of Tegaderms from my infusion supply company. I use a different kind of dressing (Sorbaview) over my port site, but there are also Tegaderms in the central line dressing change kits they keep sending me. So I just use those extra Tegaderms over my patches.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Kira, I am glad to hear the patch is working pretty good for you and is controlling your pain levels. It feels much better when our pain is in control even though it never goes away.