BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 11-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Photosensivity and Computer Moniters

I thought that this was an interesting submission related to photosensitivity triggered by computer monitors (the old flashing CRT.s or Cathod Ray Tubes, not LCD or Liquid Chrystal Display screens).

Quote:
Originally Posted by me123 View Post
Hello,

I have simple partial seizures, which I suspect arise from the parietal lobe.
My seizures are often triggered by computer monitors (the old flashing ones, not LCD screens)
My seizures started when I was 20 years old, although I did have one episode of temporary blindness when I was about 10.

M
Linnie

Last edited by linniec; 12-22-2006 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:56 PM

Here are some more photosensitive reports regarding sensitivity to Florescent Lights which tend to blink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmi View Post
Hi everyone,

I wanted to see if I could get any opinions about a situation that occurred today.

I work at the hospital and due to certain circumstances I was obligated to go back and forth under a flickering florescent light 4 times within a few hours (maybe 4 hours). Each time I got to that light, I became very... I can't even pick a good word to describe it. My head just felt odd, and I was worried that I was going to pass out. I've felt the feeling once before, in a stairwell that also had a flickering flourescent light.

A little while after those times, I had an aura (the kind that preceeds my complex partials) but luckily no actual seizure. And soon after, I did start having a seizure in my left eye. Awhile after that started, and this is what I'm curious about because it's new to me, I had a very "spastic" jerky movement in my left arm. Internally it felt the way my hand seizures feel but it didn't look like one, and it lasted probably literally a second or two. Almost immediately, though, a SP in my hand followed and ended soon after.

Any ideas of what that "spastic" movement was?
Do you think these were caused by the flashing light over a period of time?
My eegs have previously shown that lights don't bother me, so I'm just curious.

I do have an appointment with my neuro Jan 2, but of course I'm too curious now to wait until then without someone's opinion!

-jMi
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIZARD View Post
This is curious to me because my EEGs have always shown a higher likelihood of sz during the strobe phase, and yet, I have never had any from them.

It sounds like it was some type of slight sz. Your aura, in fact, is a sz itself, but I would mention this to your neuro if you've never had it before. Szs and their triggers can change over time.

Good luck...

LIZARD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
Hi,
I have had certain colors trigger a sz. for me. This is called "photosensitive" and that's when certain colors trigger sz. for a person. You might want to ask your neuro. to do a special e.e.g. where they will flash different color strobe lights one at a time to find out what colors trigger sz. I found out that bright white, florescent green, and amber were the 3 main colors that triggered sz. for me.
In regards to your movement this sometimes happens to me right before a cp sz. I start to have a muscle spasm around my mouth that I can't control. The best thing to do is to tighten the muscles in your body and make your hands into tight fists the moment you feel a aura sz. starting by doing this it will stop it from leading into a cp sz. It's worked great for me over the yrs.
Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnast_Navy_Wife View Post
Another thing you might want to try is wearing sunglasses during times when you have to be in situations like that. (Florescent Lights-which tend to blink) They can really cut down on the flickering of lights/brightness, etc.

I am only photo sensitive during certain circumstances, but, when I know I am going to be in that type of enviroment, or its a possibilty, I make sure to have a pair on hand. Can really help....

Last edited by linniec; 12-10-2006 at 09:08 AM. Reason: added Florescent Lights which tend to blink
Old 12-10-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Sensitive to Blinking lights around Christmas

Here's something about people who are Sensitive to Blinking lights around Christmas
Quote:
Originally Posted by lor View Post
If you're sensitive to blinking lights, better be extra careful during during the Christmas season. I don't like blinking lights but many people do. You might walk into a store & find those lights so watch out. You also better stay away from my house for now. For some reason one of the strings of lights on our tree started blinking & I can't find the controler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmi View Post
I also try to stay away from those Christmas trees that light up all different colors ... Oh!! Fiberoptic! We have one at work as well and it was placed on the desk right in front of me and I've noticed that if I catch it in my line of sight I can't break my gaze and I end up staring at it and can't stop. I wonder if those kinds of lights have anything to do with the seizures too?

I'm really going to talk to my neuro about all of these!

Last edited by linniec; 12-11-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Sensitive to Blinking lights around Christmas

Here's something about people who are Sensitive to Blinking lights around Christmas
Quote:
If you're sensitive to blinking lights, better be extra careful during during the Christmas season. I don't like blinking lights but many people do. You might walk into a store & find those lights so watch out. You also better stay away from my house for now. For some reason one of the strings of lights on our tree started blinking & I can't find the controler.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Old 12-21-2006, 12:09 PM
New Community Member

Hi Annie and Linniec,

Sorry I haven't bee nback for a while,

Quote:
you need to go to a neurologist and tell the doctor what you are telling us. you need to be tested for seizures.
I did have an appointment with a neurologist about 2 years ago but they said that the hospital could not provide a safe waiting area for me t osee teh neorologist and cancelled teh appointment - ever since then i have had trpoubel re bookig it and have now given up - imovedhouse and had to move Dr';s and even the local village Dr Surgery would not take me on as they said they couldn't provide a safe waiting area, couldnt turn off the lights asit was agaisnt Health and Safety and I couldn't wait outside incase i got run over and sued them!

Linniec - I never realised the 90 degree thing!
Quote:
status absence
think you've just explained somethignelse to be there - I take it missing moments are quite common then?

I loose a few minutes now and then - usually nothing critical but I did break my ankle when it happened on the stairs once.

I will carry on readinfg and now I have a flat screen will pop back on a more regulare basis.

A BIG MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL

(Sorry - its al la bit new to me - forum's I mean)
Old 12-21-2006, 09:27 PM

Default Winter and Flickering Lights

This was posted by a person noting that he too saw a seasonal increase in seizures---his seizures increased in the winter... he noted something important--- decreased daytime hours-- which might mean exposure to both artificial lights and flickering lights .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Win View Post
HI,

I suffer more in the winter months - this is due to my being affected by flickering lights and due to the shorter days. You are more prone to be in contact with more lights in general.

Last edited by linniec; 12-22-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM

Default triggers walking, standing, stairs,possible light changes

Kinster has noticed that a few things tend to trigger seizures >

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinster View Post
Surroundings seem to be a trigger for me (when my seizure threshold is lowered)

When I was a kid, the majority of mine occurred while walking down stairs (never up); walking up or down the street.

The majority of my seizures, even now are while walking or standing.

It could be that the light changes are some kind of trigger.

Anyone else?

Kinster
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Hi--
I've been going on a rampage trying to educate businesses and individuals in my town about the strobe issue. Now they have these new bike lamps that strobe, and they're all over Berkeley. I had a seziure last month atthe grocery store because one aisle had bad lights that flickered at a strobe speed and were parallel to how I was walking. I also get seizures from intense b&w pattens. One person who worked with me explained this was one of the reasons i get sick in big supermarkets: the white edging of the shelves makes bright horizontal lines that contrast with the bright colored merchandise. I also had a seizure at a film festival--it was the black and white movies that did me in. Any kind of high contrast.
Aurora
Old 01-24-2007, 02:25 PM
New Community Member

Hi Aurora,

Supermarkets is a big no no for me - i always thought it was becuase of he flourecent lights in the roof - it had not occured to me that it may be other things that set me off in there - thanks - will be double careful!