BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 10-08-2006, 07:33 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Photosensitivity, Graphics, and Epilepsy or other neurological conditions

I know that many of you are either photosensitive, sensitive to graphics,moving graphics, or any combination thereof. Have you ever found a browser that will help with all or most of these issues?

Linnie
Atlanta, GA
"beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself."
Old 10-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Community Member

Lightbulb

hi..
I dont have a problem with the still graphics, but moving ones bother me. I am using firefox with a plug in called ani-disable. It allows the picture to be shown but stops the movement. It can be set to a) allow all animation
b) show once then stop or c) show no animation which is how I have mine set.

I chose to use this rather than disable all flash etc in my browser because I am not the only one using this computer and my kids like all that moving stuff.

One thing about the ani-disable tho, it does not stop the movement of the little icons which are built into the flashchat since they are part of the software.
If you use the chatroom and someone posts moving stuff, hitting
/clear will clear the page and usually if you just ask, the people are pretty good about avoiding the moving stuff.

hope this helps,
Pam
Old 10-10-2006, 05:00 PM

i am the queen of flicker problems. flicker is my major trigger. i have never been able to be in the same room with a television set without having a seizure. florescent lights trigger me. computers are about number three for me.

but i want to be on the computer a lot, so i have spent a great deal of time over the last 30 years figuring out how to survive a computer monitor. the first time anyone paid me to work on a computer was in 1971, but that was before monitors, so i don't count it.

several of us here once started to combine everything we knew about solving photosensitivity, but we never finished it. perhaps it is time.

there are a great many mechanical things to do to minimize the flicker problem.

firefox can't be set as well as windows. windows can be set so that you can't see graphics, animated graphics, flash ads, color, fancy fonts, all things that trigger seizures for people with this problem. zombie slayer and dorry have been a tremendous help in doing this. i have directions for all this stuff, obviously it is time to dig it out and start posting it.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Photosensitivity, Graphics, animated graphics Epilepsy

Annie,
Weren't you and someone else discussing making a special program for a person with a photosensitivity?

Linnie
Atlanta, Georgia
Old 10-10-2006, 09:06 PM

toad, roobarb, michelle, and i were putting together a set of instructions for setting up a computer and a computer room to cut down on photosensitivity. all of us have major problems with photosensitivity. toad the hardware guy, roo the RN, michelle the technical writer, and me the software guy. but michelle got an overwhelming new job and hasn't been heard from for a long time, actually not since the flickering christmas lights at o hare airport did her in. long time ago. the rest of us kind of forgot about it.

several people here swear by firefox. i tried it and it nearly killed me. you have to see the flash stuff before you disable it.

it would be possible to write a browser that minimized flicker, but since bill gates has already done it i don't see any need to do it.

one of these days when i have more time i will pull together all the stuff i have and try to make sense out of it. i am definitely not the writer that michelle is.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:53 PM

Hi,
I had a special eeg done to see what colors triggered sz. for me. The tech would flash different color stobe lights one at a time and they found out that bright white, florescent green, and amber were the main colors that triggered a sz. for me. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 10-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Administrator/Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkette View Post
Hi,
I had a special eeg done to see what colors triggered sz. for me. The tech would flash different color stobe lights one at a time and they found out that bright white, florescent green, and amber were the main colors that triggered a sz. for me. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
What kind of seizures did those colors trigger Porkette?

Firehorse
Old 10-12-2006, 11:02 AM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie View Post
...but i want to be on the computer a lot, so i have spent a great deal of time over the last 30 years figuring out how to survive a computer monitor...
I've had the same problem with computer monitors and no matter where I'd set the refresh rate I'd still, eventually, wind up with nasty seizure inducing flicker. About a year ago I ditched the old CRT type monitor and bought an LCD monitor. That seems to have cured it for me.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advorpt View Post
I've had the same problem with computer monitors and no matter where I'd set the refresh rate I'd still, eventually, wind up with nasty seizure inducing flicker. About a year ago I ditched the old CRT type monitor and bought an LCD monitor. That seems to have cured it for me.
you are an extremely fortunate person. setting the refresh rate too high on a monitor can cause it to burst into flames. please, everybody, don't try this. even if someone tells you they know how to do it safely, don't believe them. even if it is your own kid.

the refresh rate is not the primary problem. i have lots of stuff i am trying to put together on this, will post it later.

please please please do not try changing your refresh rate.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hosobuchi View Post
What kind of seizures did those colors trigger Porkette?

Firehorse
Hi Firehorse,
The bright colors always triggered absence (petit mal) or complex partial sz. for me. Florescent green on the old apple 2 E monitors was what really bothered me the most. I would be typing at work for about 5 min. and then I would always go into a sz. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue