BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Multiple Sclerosis

Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 AM
Community Member

Default Catheter vs Diapers

Which would be easier for a man to deal with: catheter or diapers?

My ex lives alone and experiences a lot of urgency and sometimes can't make it to the bathroom on time.

He doesn't use a computer, and asked me to find out any info. I could about using catheters or diapers and what people usually find easier to use.

Thanks again.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Mia, I'm not male (but I play one on TV) LOL
I've worked off & on as a CNA and I think it is just personal choice. I myself, don't make it to the bathroom on time sometime.

So, I wear pads daily. If it becomes a routine problem with your ex, then I would consider catheters. But, I would try external over foley.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:30 PM

I'm not male but have experienced the joy of both.
My gut says don't start shoving foreign objects into your bladder until it is the only option to enable a normal life.

Pads or undergarments and meds if appropriate beat the possibility of introducing infection by catheter.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:04 PM

My Dad had prostate surgery last year and didn't regain much control over his bladder. He was using Depends and it really limited him as far as his activities since it just poured out when he would stand up, etc...

Anyway, he got something similar to a condom catheter in that it is an external collection rather than internal cathing. He is able to do most of the stuff he used to do, even swimming because there is one that is for water.

As a female, I prefer internal cathing over wearing a pad/diaper. I've never had an infection (knock on wood ) so I think it depends on your experience as far as which you prefer, internal or external. Some people just don't get infections easily.

Hope he finds something to be a good solution, bladder problems can really mess you up!

Deb
Old 08-16-2009, 09:33 PM

I am male (last time I checked) I hate ALL of them. That being said after you get over the thought and the process the catheters are much better. Um me and my red face will now slink away.
My last words on earth will be "I don't need to read the directions, honey hold my beer and watch this!!"
Old 08-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia View Post
Which would be easier for a man to deal with: catheter or diapers?
Deb brings up a good point: infection. I'm a male almost 60 years old and NEVER have had any sort of bladder/urinary tract infection. That is until I had some bladder testing done (uro dynamics).

I ended up with a bladder infection. No, I can't "prove" it was from the testing, but...

This thread is of interest to me because I may have to start using a catheter. It's odd to me that sometimes I have overwhelming urgency events, but usually it's the, "Must I stand here over the toilet all day with my penis in my hand; I've got better things to do."

When the day comes, I'll be inserting a catheter.

Numbers
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Community Member

if you are chained to the bathroom for fear of having to go - use a catheter. i resisted for years and now cath a couple times per day. it is great - it gives a complete drain and several hours of piece of mind. my problem is inabilty to completely empty. check with a urologist to figure out exactly what is going on. good luck.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 PM

Depends

Abby
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM

I agree with renee. The catheter is invasive, and anything invasive can cause an infection.

I haven't tried self-cathing yet and hope I never have to. At least once when a urologist catheterized me, I went home and promptly got yet another UTI.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Community Member

Hi. Thanks for all the replies.

He tried the pull-up depends for a few nights, but found they leaked every time he used them at night. (Tried both sizes.)

Maybe he should try a different brand. I believe there's one called Xena (or something similar). Anyone have experience with that brand?

p.s. He is reluctant to go the catheter route and hopes to find a diaper that will not leak during the night...