BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > General Subjects > Social Security Disability

Old 07-31-2009, 10:02 AM
New Community Member

Default CDR short form ?

Hi everyone, great site!

I sent in the short disability update form 6 weeks ago, but still have not recieved a letter from them. This is my second update form and the last one which was 3 years ago was responded to in less than a month.
I responded to the questions much the same. So now I am wondering if I should perhaps prepare for a full review?
Does anyone have an idea of a time frame with CDR short form responses? The form always states me as a "LOW" so hopefully I am just worrying too much...

Also, is there a specific forum on here related to spine injuries? I am a post laminectomy/ failed spine fusion patient and am struggling with chronic pain. I know there has to be many people with this same issue. Thanks Mj
Old 07-31-2009, 02:52 PM
Community Member

Mj, I was just approved in May and I was wondering how long it will be before I will be reviewed and exactly what to expect?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:24 PM
New Community Member

Default CDR update form

I received one two years ago,filled it out and never heard back from SS. However, i just received the long form,full disability review,mailed it back over 6 weeks ago,and still haven't heard from SS yet.

Does anyone think that not hearing from SS for 6 weeks following sending the 14 page long form in is a long time or about average?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Community Member

The short form is not a review, but it was a compromise with congress. As long as you put down answers that do not raise a red flag. You should be Okay. For example, there is a question that says are you worse off, the same or are you better (regarding your condition) Worse off or the same would not raise red flags, but saying you are better could cause a full review because it is a red flag. Remember once you are on SSDI, it is their burden to prove you are no longer disabled, a much higher standard than when you first went on disability. It is much better to receive the short form than the long form. You do not have to worry. There is a very very small percentage that get the full review anyway, but the vast majority do not.

Mark
Old 08-07-2009, 03:59 PM
New Community Member

Thank you for the info Mark.

And just for the record, I called the basic SSA info line and they told me that the short form I mailed in was not even scanned in until last week which was 6 weeks from the time they received it. There must be a back log. The last time I sent in the short form, which was over 3 years ago, I received the reply letter within 4 weeks.
I am not sure about how long it would take them for the long form...sorry. Mj
Old 08-08-2009, 01:05 AM
Community Member

sometimes it can take forever. I know it took six months for mine. They are more times than not backlogged. Good luck

Mark
Old 08-13-2009, 04:57 AM
New Community Member

Default I mailed short form 10 weeks ago

3 years ago I mailed the short CDR form back too and got answer ( no medical review at the time) in about a month. This June I got short (6 question) form again but think I might have made HUGE mistake because I added several new things to "remarks" section-----( like mild heart attack) I know now that was mistake. I called social security August 12, and they say records show they recieved my form on June 29th---now Im scared to death---I know my 6 original form answers were right ones to give---afraid I will now have condemned myself to getting the 14 page long disability review form---I can't understand what is taking so long---I would think if they wanted more information I would have gotten letter by now----Its been 6 weeks since they've gotten it-----anybody have any advice or words of comfort??---I am worrying myself sick!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Distinguished Community Member

I am confused. looks like a mild heart attack would help you on the disability. I was just approved 2 months ago, now I am wondering what to do on the form. If something bad happens should I just put things are the same? I guess no information is good information???
Old 08-14-2009, 01:37 AM
New Community Member

Default Now Im afraid Ill get long form

I read that if you are sent the short 6 question form you shouldnt add anything new in remarks---even some new illness---because that means a person has to look at it---and that very greatly increases your chance of being one of the few percent of short form people who then have to do long form----and with long form theres always a chance they'll try to kick you off------hope it's not monthe before I hear back----worse part of disability is theres always chance of losing it.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
New Community Member

Default CDR Short Form

UmaDeb,

Unfortunately you are right. When you add remarks to a six question mailer,the computer kicks it out and it gets read by a social security worker.

I would think that that worker would be compelled to do a full review,at this point, to make sure that your medical record with social security reflects all your medical conditions. This forum and others like it are great for providing this type of insight to avoid making this type of mistake. I recommend everyone on disability do a search on this sight for relevant information regarding anything he/she is confronted with by social security, before filling out forms or talking with SS on the phone. Having said that, it is spilled milk now, and everything will most likely work in your favor.

This experience will most likely cause you worry and drive you nuts for awile. Then it will be over and your benefits will most likely be continued. Your disabilty file will more accurately reflect your medical conditions, and your new conditions make you more disabled,if that were possible? So expect another short form after this mess is over.

As my previous post reflects. I received the disability update form about 2 years and six months ago, I never heard a peep from them. Almost two months ago I received the 14 page long form and I still haven't heard a peep from SS. I listed my new medical conditions for this CDR. This is the time to bring up new medical conditions because a full review is underway. I suspect that #1, social security is so back-logged with new disability cases, that CDR's kinda take a back-seat in priority because most benefits are continued anyway. Second, since I listed new medical conditions, these conditions are being looked at and that takes additional time to adequately reflect my medical record for my disability status. Anyway the wait has caused me lots of anxiety and worry. Lately, I have been able to rest a bit, my disability benefits are in their hands. I have to trust that my benefits will be continued. I did call my shrink and he told me to quit worrying because the VA considers me as Individial Unemployabilty and 100% disabled.