BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (M - Z) > Trigeminal Neuralgia

Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Barre- Lieou Syndrome

Just wondering if anyone has ever read or heard anything on this.
I googled "anxiety causing face pain" and went through a list if causes and found this.

It sounds very, very close to what Lauren might have. She played a lot of sports...I remember the Neuro saying... it sounds like an injury.... it sounds like inflammation....

Here is some interesting reading.... google the syndrome and tell me what you think....

http://www.kedu.us/Ask%20the%20Docto...l%20Origin.pdf

Sheri ( Lauren's mom )

Still in search of pain free days !

Last edited by Rooberri; 05-21-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Wrote googles instead of googled.... LOL
Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 PM

Here are the symptoms:

What are the symptoms of Barré-Lieou Syndrome?
Symptoms that characterize Barré-Lieou syndrome are headache, facial pain, ear pain, vertigo, tinnitus, loss of voice, hoarseness, neck pain, severe fatigue, muscle weakness, sinus congestion, a sense of the eyeball being pulled out, and numbness. Other symptoms may include a pins-and-needles sensation of the hands and forearms, corneal sensitivity, dental pain, lacrimation (tearing of the eyes), blurred vision, facial numbness, shoulder pain, swelling on one side of the face, nausea, vomiting and localized cyanosis of the face (bluish color).
Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 PM

Description: A pathological condition that is characterized by a host of cranial symptoms, such as headaches, abnormal functions of the eyes and the ears, and psychological and mental disorders. This syndrome usually appears after neck injuries, inflammation, or neoplasm.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:38 AM

That is pretty interesting. I've had 4 whiplashes since I was 18. The last was when I was 39. I've had migraines since I was 12, but Fibro and TN have been an issue for the last 15-20 years. I was undiagnosed with TN for at least 15 years. Fibro, I've had symptoms of for close to 20 years but was just diagnosed 3 years ago.

I have eye issues, migraines, facial pain, neck pain, back pain, joint pain, chronic fatigue, etc. I'm wondering after reading this if some of my problems are caused by repeated neck trauma. It's either that or 35 years of chronic migraines or both. If I don't keep my neck very limber, it has a tendency to lock up and start to fuse, which brings on a whole new world of pain in my head, neck, shoulders, arms and hands. So I keep my neck limber.

It makes sense when you think about how many nerves comes out of your neck.

Alli
Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM
New Community Member

I love this site. I have had TN for over 10 years. I am a 42 year-old that had recently decided (after meds just no longer did the trick) to have MVD surgery. Mine occurred on May 13, 2009 right after Mother's day (I am a mom of 3). For those contemplating MVD surgery, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. My incision is healing nicely. I am still experiencing pain, but was told by my surgeon that the nerve needs to heal since the myelin sheath that covers the nerve needs to regenerate from the years of a vessel and an artery that had been compressing on my nerve. It has been almost 2 weeks and I feel that I can go back to work. I work in an office enviroment so I will be doing less there than I am doing at home.

The only thing that is really upsetting is the fullness that I have in my right ear. How long have others experienced this after surgery. Does this "water in the ear" feeling go away eventually?