BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default L-Carnitine and Depakote

Hi all,
Although I do not have seizures, I have chronic, they used to be almost daily migraines and one of the meds I take for them is depakote. As I am sure a lot of you know, depakote has a lot of not so pleasant side effects many of which I have. I put on weight I can't lose, I hurt and have no energy. However, the depakote is helping with the migraines so I don't want to stop taking it.

I had read that L-carnitine can help reverse some of the side effects of depakote so I am trying it to see what happens. Anyone else using it?

Lisa
Old 05-17-2009, 04:42 PM

When I was on Depakote, I tried l-carnitine because of the weight gain but it didn't work for me. Seems to me (if memory serves me right) that Ted T's wife has taken it successfully. As with anything else, it seems to be one of those things that works for some but not for others. I would think that it would be worth a try though.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Hi Lisa,
I took Depakote for yrs. but it caused me to lose weight I lost between 60 lbs. in 4 months while on the drug. My pharmacist told me that depakote can cause a person to either lose or gain weight as a side effect. I've never tried L-Carnitine but one thing you might want to watch for is bruises on your body. I noticed a lot of bruises on my body while on depakote and I found that it was from a low blood platlet level because the depakote was eating up all the platlets in my body so keep your eyes open and watch for any extra bruises on your skin. If you notice any call your Dr. immediately and request a complete blood count be done. Sorry I couldn't help you more. Here's wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Thank you Lindy and Sue,
I hope it helps me, I will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens. Sue, I am already a major bruiser, so I will definitely watch out for that.

Thanks!
Lisa