BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > General Subjects > General Neurology and Rare Disorders

General Neurology and Rare Disorders Discussions about general neurology and undiagnosed conditions, including rare disorders that may not be separately listed.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
New Community Member

Default Feels like I've had a trapped air bubble / burp in my throat for two weeks, HELP

About two weeks ago I was out for a walk and I very suddenly got this horrible pain in my chest and felt like I needed to burp, like there was an air bubble in my throat. I tried to burp but when I did that it made me hiccup so more air got stuck in there. Eventually I decided to leave it along but it was extremely uncomfortable.

Now, two weeks later the pain is gone but I've had that bubble in my throat feeling ever since. It's driving me absolutely insane. It's like I've swallowed a load of air for a burp but I can't even almost get rid of it. I've been trying to suck in air and expel as much of it as I can but earlier I got rid of so much that the water I'd just been drinking started to come back up along with bile, which tastes absolutely horrible like getting sick - and the bubble was STILL THERE!

Please please tell me this isn't going to be with me for life. A quick internet search sugested that I have GERD but that's just too horrible to contemplate and it came on so suddenly, I never had any problems before that one evening. Is there anything else it could be and any way I can get rid of it? I can't bear the thought that I'll have to put up with this torture forever >_<

I'm 19 by the way, thank you so much if you can help
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi, Patrick,

You should make an appointment to see your doctor (general practioner would be fine for a first visit).

You "might" have something like GERD (gastric esophageal reflux); but, I have that and your symptoms sound a little 'off'.

One reason to get this checked out is that you might have a something called helicobacter pylori (H-pylori) which can feel like an ulcer and upset your whole digestive process. This absolutely requires a prescription from a doctor to eradicate it.

GERD is not 'horrible'. It's a nuisance. A lot of it is irratated by one's eating habits. Mine is caused by a combination of obesity and a hiatal hernia. It's pretty well-controlled by a medication that I take daily; but, I still need to lose weight.

You're kind of young; but, **THIS** is a perfect time to learn this lesson: there is absolutely no reason why you should have been suffering with this for over two weeks. A lot of us don't want to 'bother' doctors with small complaints. Two weeks is not "small".

Good luck. Hugs. Let us know what the doc says.

Barb
Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 PM
New Community Member

Yeah I kinda thought nothing of it, I mean we all get burps trapped sometimes so I assumed I was just really unlucky to have it overnight. I'm really busy at the moment so I've only just realized that it's actually been almost two weeks and I still have it.

It's basically exactly like having an air bubble trapped just inside my throat, again it's like I need to burp but that doesn't help it. It's just getting so horribly annoying especially for me as I'm a singer and this makes it a little hard to reach higher notes (feels like I'm squeezing the bubble in my throat when I put pressure on it with my voice)

I'm going to the GP at the weekend anyway my local is away until then. Thanks for the reassurance though I seriously don't want to have this for life...