BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Old 02-14-2009, 02:32 PM
New Community Member

Default Fentanyl and Exercise,Hot Showers

Hi everyone. I'm more of a lurker than poster, and I have learned so much here so I figured I would ask you all my questions. I have been a chronic pain patient since 2003. Was rear ended 2 times and have multiple disc problems and nerve damage in legs and arms. I have been on total disability since 2005.I've tried just about everything for the pain, but as you know, it never goes away. I just started Fentanyl about a month ago, and when it kicks in, it is a total miracle for me. I am on the 50 mcg every 3 days,but I think I need to switch to every 2 days because day 3 is getting worse and worse painwise. I have been doing everything that is recommended in regard to proper placement of the patch with a tagaderm patch. But I am still a bit paranoid. I have actually started to do some light yoga(have not been able to do any exercise because the pain that I got afterwords was horrible). My concern is about body temperature. Also, I take warm showers now(hate it) but again, I don't want to heat up too much. Am I being too paranoid about this? Also, I had planned to go to Florida next week,but I cancelled the trip because I am new to this med and again, I was afraid to go. It was to be my first trip in 8 years, but I was just too worried. I see my doc in a couple of weeks and will ask her too,but any feedback here would be helpful. Thanks so much
Stephanie

Chronic Pain in back, nerve pain arms and legs. 5 herniations, DDD and other back issues. Current medsuragesic,Cymbalta,Zanaflex,Klonopin,Tramadol ,Lidoderm,Adderall
Old 02-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Hi Stephanie, I have been on the patch since 2003 and yes, it is a life saver. Once titrated to where I needed it I have been stable for years. I was changed from every 72 to every 48 and that made a tons of difference so hopefully your doc will be open to that.

As far as temperature is concerned, all I can tell you is my experience and then with input from others and your doc you can make your decision. I personally have not had any trouble. I have exercised with the patch and quite vigourously where I sweat, a lot. And I do live in FLorida. I have sun bathed with a pool cage, walked on the beach. We have a hot tub, but when I go in the highest temp I will use is about 97 degrees. My husband uses it at 100. That scare me too much. I also take hot baths but I have no idea what temp the water is. I am careful to not let it get too hot by touch. We also go to the Tampa Bay football games and in August and September that stadium is Hot. My patch is always covered by clothes.

Now I would not sun bathe directly with the sun beating down on the patch. I would cover it with a towel or keep going into cool water. I would not get into a really hot bath or hot tub.

You could also call the makers of the patch and talk with someone who can give you exacts. Just google ortho-mcneil janssen. Look up the contact number. They will be able to tell you specifically.

Melissa
Old 02-15-2009, 08:19 AM
New Community Member

Thanks so much for the very detailed answer Melissa! When I told my doctor that I was going to Florida she said no beach so I know her position on that, but will contact the drug company to ask them specifics related to temperatures of other activities. It makes me feel better to know that you have been able to do some normal things while on it. I really am hoping that this is the answer for me, but was a little bummed that I would have to be so careful while I was just getting some relief finally.
I will be asking her about changing every 48 hours as I do notice a drop off on the third day. I think that she will agree, but even if she doesn't, I will be happy to have a couple of good days a week.
I am hoping that they come out with a long acting fentanyl pill in the future, which would be the best of both worlds. Am I getting greedy now lol?
Thanks again for your most helpful info and I am glad that it is working so well for you too.
Stephanie

Chronic Pain in back, nerve pain arms and legs. 5 herniations, DDD and other back issues. Current medsuragesic,Cymbalta,Zanaflex,Klonopin,Tramadol ,Lidoderm,Adderall
Old 02-15-2009, 09:19 AM

Hi Steph,

You got a good answer from Melissa. I tried the 12.5 mcg patch and had great difficulty; my body was drinking it all up in one day. So, I had some real problems with it. Anyway, what I think was happening was that I still having some post menopausal hot flashes. So, whether it is internal or external heat, it was drinking it up. And I think it was Pharmacist Steve that told me that but he can correct me if I am wrong. I read further and yep, the core body temperature starts to raise a little before the flash hits. So, MAYBE that was my problem. It is the only thing I can think of because I wasn't exposed to extreme sources of heat other than the daggone flashes. And I always put it on my upper arms. Anyway, the bottom line was...pain relief for one day and forget the rest. BUT...I AM glad it is working well for you and Melissa.
Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005
Old 02-15-2009, 10:02 AM
New Community Member

Thanks Kathi. So glad that I started on this med when I am starting with peri menopause. I would love to have it work for 3 days, but if I only get 1 out of 3, I will still be happy. I just don't want to get too much medicine,that's all.
Stephanie

Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Community Member

I have been on Duragesic for almost 5 years. I take the hottest baths I can, I tan (with a small washcloth covering the patch or I take it off it is a change day and put it back on aftr my tanning bed session. I have had 104 degree fevers and even went in a hot tub at the beach. I wear my patch on my upper arm so of course it does not get submerged but I have honestly never had a problem. I weigh 110 and because like you, I began to lose effective pain control the 3rd day,I asked to try every 48 hours and it works out great. I know the drugmakers have two CYA so they print everything possible to absolve themselves should that one unlucky person be the one who can't take hot baths or run fevers. Just try to relax. Wera the patch wher it is not submerged n water and you should be fine on baths/showers. Good luck and I hope your Dr changes your script for every 48 hours. It really makes a differnce,
Old 02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
New Community Member

Thanks spondygurl. You and the others have put my mind at ease for certain. I have been a bit of a spaz since starting it, but even more so once I felt how well it worked so I didn't want to screw anything up. I know the drug companies want to cover themselves so they don't get sued and I normally don't get this nervous, but with the recent recalls and bad press, I got caught up in all of it. Very glad to have found you all and I feel so much better now. Thanks again
Stephanie

Old 02-15-2009, 08:08 PM

Hey Stephanie, I'm sorry your doc said no beach! I keep mine on low, a little above the bikini line and I wear those tankini's at the beach so it is covered by my suit. If we are not walking we lay under an umbrella. This talk is making me want to go back!! We haven't been to the beach in 2 years. I hope if you get the OK from the drug company and you feel comfortable you can make it down. We love it down here!

Melissa
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 PM
New Community Member

Unhappy

Thanks Melissa. I love the beach more than words can say. When doc said no I cancelled in a bit of a panic. If I had on the patch for a longer time, I may have come down anyway(live in pa). Once my body gets adjusted, I'll know what I can and cannot do. This disabilty has already taken over my life, and now it's taking the beach from me too!Lol.
Where are you in Florida? I used to go to Sarasota a lot, and this trip was to West Palm.
Stephanie

Old 02-18-2009, 10:19 AM

I started Fentanyl about a 3 month ago. 25mcg every 3 days...I was taking 4 percs and a morph at night... And still just labored in pain in bed for most of the day for about 6 months after my second disc surgery that failed... Not to mention the sick feeling I had using those drugs...Your right about it being a Miracle and mine also starts to give out on the 3rd day but no where near the pain I use to be in so I just deal with it..

My Cardiologist doesn't like the Idea with all my heart problems..But I told him it was a quality of life issue and I couldn't be in the pain I was for much longer..

On the plus side for now I have lost 25lbs on these things..I need to actually get rid of 20 more...But it also kind of worries me...I never get hungry...As far as Hot baths and showers I have no problems ...Hotter the better..

But I have no side effects except losing weight and 95% pain loss..Its like I'm taking nothing.