BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Aneurysm

Aneurysm Welcome to the BrainTalk Communities Aneurysm Forum

Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
New Community Member

Default aneurysm behind eye-- how do they fix it?

HI, all,
This may be a dumb question, but have to ask it. I had a ruptured annie two years ago, which was coiled. When I went to Johns Hopkins for check up angio. they discovered a small aneurysm behind my eye. He said we were going to watch it, and I should return in two years to have it checked. Now, for some reason, I'm just starting to get nervous about it. He said it wasn't in the brain cavity, so if it burst, "we'll just fix it," he said. But every eye ache, strain, or "floaters" --- has me in a tizzy. How do they get to it if it's behiind your eye? Same way as coiling? Anyone had one done?
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Cool Call your Doctor back...

Hello Marabeth

Welcome to this site!

I am sorry you have this Eye aneursym in your life - try not to worry too much though as that causes stress and so on and so on....

I haven't heard of this personally but I tried doing some research.

I couldn't find much on my research but here is one article that refers to in some ways your situation - I think http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_cause...behind_the_eye and http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1006030903606 and http://www.eyepathologist.com/disease.asp?IDNUM=333100

Keep us posted and know that you are not alone - I am sure there are others who will answer you too!

I heard "floaters" were from dry eyes and told to use liquid tears or some sort of moisturizing eye liquids - especially in the winter with the house shut up and dry air blowing every where

This sounds completley new to me but I'm learning new stuff every day on this fabulous site!

I think you should call your Dr. back and ask him a ton of questions including what is the cure(s) procedure!

Geeez they shouldn't let you leave without knowing all your options!

Sure hope this works out for you!

Trish
Old 02-14-2009, 09:58 AM

Hi Marabeth. I had a 7 mm opthalmic aneurysm originally. I am not sure if this is the same as one behind the eye, but that is the general location of mine. It was very close to the optic nerve. I was told that since the space is small, 7 mm was significant and could/would damage my optic nerve in time. I had a craniotomy and clipping done. It turns out the NS had to sever my optic nerve almost in two to get the clip on. The great thing is that my vision improved some afterwards (I have worn glasses since I was 11 years old). I was told that a rupture would possibly cause me to lose my vision and that was not a risk I was willing to take. I would assume that your doctor would consider the size and exact position of this aneurysm, but I would try to find out all of my options. It certainly doesn't hurt to call the doctor to make an appointment to talk about it and your concerns.

I wish you the best!
September 2009 diagnosed with Trigeminal Neuralgia
Old 02-14-2009, 11:42 AM
New Community Member

Hi!
My aneurysm is behind my right eye. They found it in November. It was 7mm. My neurosurgeon said that the best way to get to it was through the coiling procedure because it would be too dangerous to do the clipping. I said okay, let's get this coiling done! So in Dec I had it coiled and now I go back in June for my 6 month follow-up angiogram. My doctor said that clipping would not be an option because it was too dangerous but he said I would be fine with the coiling because they can get to it easier since they are going through the arteries to get there. So definitely talk to the doctor about your options and go through this site and you will find so much information it is great. The people on here are wonderful and have helped me tremendously! Good luck with everything and I will keep you in my prayers with everyone else too! Courtney
Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 PM
New Community Member

Hi,

I had a 7mm opthalmic aneurysm behind my left eye that my neurosurgeon said was in the brain. I wasn't a candidate for coiling because of the shape of the aneurysm. I had a craniotomy and clipping done in 11/08. There was some damage to the optic nerve during the surgery.

Mine was found after the "worst headsche" that I have ever had. I had no vision problems before the surgery. I did have some vision problems after the surgery (double vision and cloudy) but it appears to be improving with time.

I am now 3 months past the clipping and doing well.

I hope all goes well for you. Please make sure and speak to your doctor about any concerns or symptoms that you have.

Take care

Ellie
Old 02-14-2009, 05:51 PM
New Community Member

I had an aneurysm clipped 5 years ago. I was told at that time that I also have a small one behind my left eye, located in the cavernous sinus, so it was considered inoperable at that time. my surgeon said that if it ruptures, they would fix it. he also said that because of the location, if it did rupture, it would bleed into the eye, and not into the brain, making the risk to my vision, not my brain. I still have occasional pain behind the left eye, and bad headaches. I havent had it rechecked in 5 years, i figured they would just watch it anyways. was under the impression that they could only fix it if it bleeds, then they would take out the clot. I suppose there is a chance that things have changed in 5 years, nd mybe now it is operable. I am not sure.
I hope this helps reasure you that you are not alone.
kathy
Old 02-17-2009, 09:56 AM
New Community Member

Thanks so much to all of you. I guess I was so astounded to hear that I had another aneurysm that I failed to ask all the right questions. Thanks, too, for the resassurance over the methods ( I won't tell you what I thought would happen!). I have to get back to Johns Hopkins and ask questions.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:32 AM

Hello,

I am home recovering from my most recent coiling on my right carotid cavernous aneurysm. Mine was first found in 2005. My symptoms were on and off double vision. I was coiled in 2005, coiled again / with a stent in 2007, and coiled again last week. It is very large and so is the neck, which is why a stent was put in also. I have no option but to coil. It is tucked under my brain and behind the right eye. I have over 70 coils now, and hopefully this will fix it this time. I have a wonderful doctor. I am in really no pain, just extremely tired, and some pressure behind the eye. I will have an angio in 6 months to see if it worked. I was very frightened when they first found it, but this sight was wonderful, everyone was so supportive. I found more support and answers here than anywhere.

Amy
Old 02-23-2009, 04:03 PM

Hi Marabeth, I also just found out I have a 3mm aneurysm in the back of my right eye. The doctor said I have two options...."wait & see" for 6 months and have another CTA, or have the sucker clipped. I think I'm going to wait 3 months and have the surgery. To say the least I am scared as hell but reading other people's experiences is kinda comforting. ---- How big is your annie? Are you just going to wait and see for now? I know that the uncertainty of not knowing what's going on is very unsettling. I'm trying to not panic, but it's very difficult to remain calm sometimes. Anyway, I hope to hear back from you and I will be praying for you and everyone that is going through this crazy, "unwanted" visitor. Take care!! Sandy
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM
New Community Member

Default Brain aneurysm clipping

Hi, I had a 3mm brain aneurysm on the left opthalmic that I had clipped on Jan 8th. I found out I had this in August and at first was shocked and scared. I was told that I should have it clipped ASAP because of the location and the What Ifs if it should rupture. I decided to wait and watch it. I have suffered from severe headaches for years in the exact spot that the annie was located. In August I had an unbelievable headache and was having difficulty talking. They thought that the annie had ruptured. After a lumbar puncture they found that it had not ruptured after all. Well, that was enough of a scare for me. We saw a few more Neuro surgeons for opinions and then decided to go ahead with the clipping. I was also told that there was a possibility that I could loose sight in the left eye because of the location of the annie. I felt like I was in the best of hands with my surgeon Dr. Ogilvy at MGH in Boston. The surgery went well. I spent one day in ICU and and two days in the neuro ward I went home on the third day. I am six weeks post op and so glad that I had this done. I have not had a headache since the surgery. I have a small gray spot in the left eye that they tell me the brain will eventually compensate for. This past weekend we hiked a trail to a frozen waterfall in the snowy mountains of the
White mountains of New Hampshire and they never looked so good to me. I am relieved to have all the stress and worry behind me. If I can answer any questions about the surgery just ask.
Nancy