BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > General Subjects > Vitamin and Mineral Deficiency

Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Community Member

Default Vitamins & seizures

I have read so many stories of people who use vitamins (vitamin D, vitamin B12, vitamin B9, vitamin B6, vitamin E… etc.) in the hopes that these vitamins will have positive effects on their seizures.

With their doctor’s consent some people with epilepsy use vitamins in conjunction with certain AEDs, to reduce/stop some of the side effects which are created by their AEDs.

Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) was the only seizure medication I used to control my major seizures for approx. the first 19 years of my life. With my doctor’s consent I then added a multi B complex tablet to my daily intake of already prescribed vitamin B6. I have never used any AEDs with my B vitamins to control my seizures.

In my case there was no depletion (that I am ware of) of any other nutrient in my body while I was taking a mega dose of vitamin B6 only.

I attended a normal school thanks to B6.

Without vitamin B6 I would probably have died or become mentally impaired during an episode of status epilepticus.

Question: I would like to know if there is anybody who uses a single vitamin, with no other medication (i.e. AEDs, minerals… etc.) to control their epileptic seizures. If so, which vitamin do you use?

I would love to hear your stories.

I am particularly interested in hearing your story if you have gained controlled of your seizures with a vitamin other than vitamin B6.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards,

Andrew
Old 09-11-2008, 03:57 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Andrew - I had many neurological symptoms, but many tests didn't find a cause, so I didn't get a diagnosis in relation to my symptoms. I came upon information about VB1 being a successful treatment for an illness which displays neurological symptoms like the ones I suffered.
I took 250mgs VB1 - 3 times a day as suggested on the bottle.

I wasn't getting any better, so rose the dose gradually to 500mgs 3 or 4 times a day. I found within minutes of each dose, my symptoms - including mini seizures, dizziness, blackout feelings etc., - were suppressed for a few hours. I experimented with many things - VB6 included - forgot the dose, but it also worked better at an increased dose. I also tried VitaminC - 1000mgs, 3 times a day - I increased this dose to 3000mgs - same benifit as VB1 and VB6.
VitC, VB1 and VB6 are all water soluble vitamins which don't stay in the body for long - unlike most other vitamins which are oily to greasy solids and which can build up in the body. I found it wasn't what I took which mattered, but how they worked in the body which made the difference. Each dose raised my temperature and heart rate (as if excercising), it increased my breathing, increased my blood flow, which carries more oxygen to every part of the body - including the brain 24/7, without any drugs, machines, taken at home as part of the daily diet.

I believe from all my research, experimentation, trial and error, and my better health, that lack of oxygen to the brain due to toxins, injuries, etc., could be a cause of neurological symptoms, including seizures.
It took 18 months of experimentation ( with many other simple things which also gave the same benifit) before my symptoms started to reverse - and another year to get reasonably well.
See your doctor before changing any medication.
ainee.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Community Member

Default Vitamins

Hi Ainee,

There are nine water soluble vitamins and four fat soluble vitamins. Altogether there are thirteen 'true' vitamins.

Water soluble Vitamins (common names in brackets):

Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)
Vitamin B3 (Niacin)
Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid)
Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)
Vitamin B7 (Biotin)
Vitamin B9 (Folic Acid)
Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)
Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid).

Fat soluble vitamins:

Vitamin A (Retinol)
Vitamin D (Calciferol)
Vitamin E (Tocopherol)
Vitamin K (Phylloquinone).

Some of the Vitamins listed above can be subdivided into their indavidual vitamers. For example: Vitamin D's major Vitamers are: Vitamin D2 (Ergocalciferol) and Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol).

Hope this is helpful,

Andrew
Old 09-27-2008, 09:58 AM

Have you looked at the information about B6 and neurological problems including seizures in The Gluten File? http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/vitaminb6
Anne
Old 09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Community Member

Default My Story with B vitamins & seizures:

http://nse-forum2.jamkit.com/viewtop...fb5c8d302d2498
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Community Member

Default Vitamin B6

“Pyridoxal phosphate (PLP; a vitamin B6 derivative) arguably represents the most versatile organic cofactor in biology, and is used by a variety of enzymes in all organisms”

“The functional diversity of PLP-dependent enzymes is illustrated by the fact that more than 140 distinct enzymatic activities that are catalogued by the Enzyme Commission (EC”

“corresponding to ~4% of all classified activities”

Taken from the following URL:

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1326353
Old 01-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Exclamation Big Pharma trying to take P5P off the market:

You will want to read this:

http://www.knowthelies.com/?q=node/2153

http://www.fdalawblog.net/fda_law_bl...n-petitio.html

Here is the petition...
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...0000648051908f

To log a protest comment, click on the little yellow balloon and type in your
comments. It is on line 6

The more who complain, the more likely we may be heard.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Community Member

Default My story with B vitamins and seizures

I had my first seizure at two weeks old. I spent the first six months of my life in and out of hospital. Doctors were mystified by my illness. None of the ‘normal’ antiepileptic drugs that were administered had any positive effects. At this time I was having many ‘different types’ of seizures a day some of which went status. Countless tests were being done including, EEGs, lumber punctures… etc. A top pediatrician from the main city hospital told my mother that he was going to a meeting. He said he would talk about me in the hope that someone there would be able to help us. At this meeting there was a professor who was doing research into childhood epilepsy. He suggested a trial of Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6). Pyridoxine Hydrochloride was administered (I was five months old). Within two to three days my mother noticed a big difference in me. I’d stopped having severe seizures. Because of the positive effects that Pyridoxine had on my seizures doctors slowly weaned me off all the antiepileptic drugs (this was back in 1970-71). I’ve been taking Pyridoxine Hydrochloride on a daily bases ever since.

I was still expeiencing my aura so when I was 19 years old, With my doctor's consent, I added a multi B complex tablet to my daily medication. This stoped my aura.

**DO NOT ALTER ANY MEDICATION WITHOUT YOUR DOCTOR'S CONSENT**

Regards,

Andy
Old 01-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdoubtfyre View Post
You will want to read this:

http://www.knowthelies.com/?q=node/2153

http://www.fdalawblog.net/fda_law_bl...n-petitio.html

Here is the petition...
http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...0000648051908f

To log a protest comment, click on the little yellow balloon and type in your
comments. It is on line 6

The more who complain, the more likely we may be heard.
I'd love to register a complaint, but could use some help in forming a brief but intelligent sounding response! Any ideas?
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Lightbulb just tell them the truth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
I'd love to register a complaint, but could use some help in forming a brief but intelligent sounding response! Any ideas?
I have a thread over at the other place with my response. I just blathered on like a looney.

There is a second thread on PN over there.

Tell them about pyroluria, and malabsorption due to gluten intolerance... that should sound good!

Last edited by mrsdoubtfyre; 01-30-2009 at 09:12 AM.