BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Colloid Cyst

Old 07-11-2008, 02:46 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Smile colloid cyst/behaviour dsturbance

i have read from a couple of sources,including this site, that one of the symptoms of a colloid cyst is "behavioural disturbance"

does anybody know what that means exactly ?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Community Member

Default psychiatric "colloid cyst"

Hi Bill:

"Psychiatric" was the term that I remember seeing. I did this search and found the following.
Behavioural manifestations of third ventricular colloid cysts
Also of possible interest ...
Limbic System tumors
Psychiatric presentation of third ventricular colloid cyst. A case report
Colloid cyst of the third ventricle presenting as psychiatric disorder
Dissociative Disorder Associated with aColloid Cyst of the Third Ventricle:Organic or Psychogenic Amnesia?
Aggression, anxiety, depression, personality changes, etc... seem to be some of the common themes.

Best regards and stay healthy,
Matthew
Old 07-12-2008, 09:08 AM

Default thanx

i "only" had chronic fatigue-which put down to over work

headaches- migrane due to over working

occasional numbess of the lower limbs-which i put down to some virus

and the occasional visual disturbance[blind spots]which at the time i just put down as part and parcel of the migrane too.

seems i got off lightly with the symptoms.

just goes to show the dangers of self diagnosis hey............

Old 07-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Community Member

Smile

God i wish i had very little symptoms like some of you. I'm so tired all the time and feel i'm turning into a monster , especially with the kids? Seem to have a very short fuse which is so unlike me and am so forgetful. My kids think its so funny when i ask them six times have they done there homework! I just keep telling them i'm just checking!
Old 07-13-2008, 05:13 AM

Default thats wierd

i`ve had the opposite effect, before i was really chilled out , now i am positively well laid back,horizontal almost. i hope you get a medium you are happy with soon.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Behavioural sistrubance

i have read from a couple of sources,including this site, that one of the symptoms of a colloid cyst is "behavioural disturbance"

does anybody know what that means exactly
Hi Bill, when I had my surgery back in 72' just before I was discharged my neurosurgeon explained I might experience "delusions of persecution" because of the area of the cerebellum they had to cut thru to get to the cyst; and the only way I think it manifested itself was when my husband had to go back to work and I was alone 4 weeks post-op with my 4 little kids 5,4 and the 2 year old twins. I would get this sudden feeling of saddness and as tho someone had told me my mother had died; and I would immediately start crying at the drop of a hat. I was put on Ritalin for a year or so and stopped it without the feeling re-occuring. Does this sound like what you are asking about?
Donna
Craniotomy 1972 1.0cm x 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm colloid cyst with 2.0 cm x 0.8 cm x 0.3 cm norm brn tissue remvd; bilateral papilledema with prfnd short term memory loss for 6-10 months; LP taps daily 3 weeks , bout of depression post-op; 4 children under 5, ret'd critical care nursng 1yr postop; In 08-09 I was treated for burning Numular Migraines pain worse than my brain tumor and unrelenting, test showed no new growth of cyst tho.. Retired in 2008 after 44 years of nursing.
Jeremiah 29:11 Donna
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM

Default haven't posted in awhile...

although I check in every now and then--and this caught my eye.
~Levi always has interesting links...I don't know how you find them all, but thanks!!~ In one of them it said something about the symptoms even with the lack of hydrocepholus (spelling?) My neurosurgeon and neurolgist said the cyst I have is too small to be causing any symptoms (I haven't been to my neurologist in two years. He is very dismissive of the cyst, even though then he gave me that recall test and I came up with one, had trouble with the second and could not even recall the third thing. He said that was ok...anybody else have that done??)-- My last MRI, in March, it was 5mm. I have to get another one in Oct.
I too have all of these symptoms but they could also be chalked up to a lot of other things...mainly stress. I am always tired, (I have 3 little ones and work full time...); I forget things all the time (at home I can laugh it off--the kids like to take advantage of it sometimes but at work it can get me in trouble sometimes...I do mortgages and let me tell you-there is a lot to remember with those things. I have to constantly write things down or I won't remember what the person said to me and who I evn talked to!; I have a very short fuse....that is something that has been progressively getting worse. My dr. prescribed me Xanax to use when I start to get the anxious overwhelming feeling. I don't like to use it that often. I have Anxiety and am on Prozac for that. Most of this came about after my first surgery. (I had a 1cm colloid cyst removed in June of 1999--It is now growing back...)
I wonder if there is some sort of connection with all of this that has been entirely overlooked!
Old 07-15-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky View Post

does anybody know what that means exactly

Hi Bill, when I had my surgery back in 72' just before I was discharged my neurosurgeon explained I might experience "delusions of persecution" . Does this sound like what you are asking about?

Donna
similar yes but for me it has subsided of its own accord fortunately,and hopefully permanently i don`t know what they touched on the way in,i think the truth is the brain is far too complex for them to really understand[otherwise someone like microsoft would be mass producing them by now

Last edited by Bill[uk]; 07-15-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: grammer/addition
Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM

My went away permanently after a year or so....and drug ritalin stopped!
Craniotomy 1972 1.0cm x 0.5 cm x 0.5 cm colloid cyst with 2.0 cm x 0.8 cm x 0.3 cm norm brn tissue remvd; bilateral papilledema with prfnd short term memory loss for 6-10 months; LP taps daily 3 weeks , bout of depression post-op; 4 children under 5, ret'd critical care nursng 1yr postop; In 08-09 I was treated for burning Numular Migraines pain worse than my brain tumor and unrelenting, test showed no new growth of cyst tho.. Retired in 2008 after 44 years of nursing.
Jeremiah 29:11 Donna
Old 07-22-2008, 06:18 AM

The only behaviour disturbance I have is having angry outbursts, and that usually only happens when the weather gets hot and humid = like it has been for the last 2 weeks. My surgery did not affect my behaviour as far as I can tell.