BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 02-22-2007, 12:42 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwebby View Post
and the sunlight seemed different to me. I just feel all weird. Weird perceptions and sensations.
That's very similar to what it was like for me when I was having seizures this year. The lighting seemed all wrong - everything felt - darker than it should have. It all felt very strange. Everything looked strange and felt weird.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Community Member

Default My personal hypothesis......stress

My first seizure was Tgiving, 2002, and I had seizures through the winter as I worked out my meds. Had another bad seizure scare on Tgiving 2005. Then, of course, this past winter, but maybe prompted by medication changes. Anyway, my pet theory is that, because of my hypothyroid probably, I am very sensitive to the cold. My body does not warm up well when I go out into the cold (as I tell my kids, my internal heater is busted), so going out into the cold (like into the car before the car had warmed up), before the seizures, would bring on a spell of all-over body shakes. That I just accpeted as a typical response for me. I think cold weather is an added stress, and it tips me over now when I'm vulnerable. Luckily, I'm not living in the Real Cold, anymore; who knows what would've happened this past winter!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 PM

I hope you don't mind a "stranger" butting in with a thought

Could the seasonal variation of seizures be related to low vitamin D levels? If seizure activity increases in the winter and spring could there be a link? Most of us have suboptimal to very low vitamin D and this drops even further in the winter.
Loss of seizure control due to anticonvulsant-induced hypocalcemia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Depression may also be linked to low vitamin D http://www.vitamindcouncil.com/depression.shtml

Would like to hear your thoughts on vitamin D.
Anne
Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 PM

There is another thread in Epilepsy - Climate Difference by resilient1 - last date 1-16-2007 - some posters here wrote of their sz experiences in cooler or hotter weather.
Because of my personal experience and research, I believe lack of oxygen could be the cause of many illnesses and conditions, not just epilepsy. It's known that many illnesses and conditions lack oxygen in the body, tissues and cells.
There is less oxygen in the atmosphere when there is a Low - raining, snow, frost, fog etc., also lower when there are toxins/pollution in the atmosphere and at night time when there is an increase of carbon dioxide.
Very hot, humid weather can also reduce oxygen in the atmosphere.
The treatment I experimented with and have been taking for over 5 years, increases the oxygen circulation and content in the body, has suppressed and eventually reversed most of my symptoms. I believe this cheap, easy, available everywhere treatment - without drugs or machines -may give better health to many, regardless of condition, illness, diagnosis or cause.
I found it wasn't what I took, but how it worked in the body that mattered. My other posts explain my treatment.
Have a nice day
ainee.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM

I am bringing this one back up.

"We" have a neuro appointment on Friday, with a new neuro (regular doctor is pursuing research on sabbatical). One of the questions I want to ask him is about the fact that all the major sz my husband has had since his surgery in 2001 have occurred in Jan, Feb, or March, and what he thinks of it. I would like to take a proactive approach and maybe try some things that could help my husband get through these months without the status sz he has had the past 2 years in a row.

Light therapy has been suggested, but I assume this is more than just putting some different bulbs in the lamps ; I am interested in what people might know about this for real.

Hello to you all!

Rabbit
Old 08-29-2007, 07:30 PM

Hi,
I can see where my sz. are starting to increase now at the end of Aug. 2007 a couple of days ago I had 7 sz. in one day and just yesterday I had 4 sz. this always starts to happen in the fall and winter months for me. I ask myself the question if I the reason why I'm having more sz. this time of the yr. is because the days are shorter and there's less light. I can see a pattern where the longer the days the fewer the sz. I didn't have a pattern with my sz. being like this until after I had my last surgery done. Here's wishing all of you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 08-30-2007, 10:56 PM

Rabbit

We would all appreciate it if you could post your neuro's response. We'd all be interested.

Thank you!
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM

We saw the neuro yesterday, and he listened to our concerns seriously. I said, what's with the sz always occurring in Jan/Feb/March?? and we brainstormed a while about possible reasons.

LIGHT - I mentioned that maybe it had to do with decreased exposure to sunlight. He was hesitant to do too much with light, because light is a major trigger for so many. He mentioned that perhaps if the transition from light to dark could be more gradual, it would be a good thing.

DEPRESSION - I said I know that E and depression are linked, could depression cause more seizures (more likely to be depressed in the winter)? He said that although they (the medical profession) know these things are linked, there is not a clear cause and effect that can be noted. In other words, it can be difficult to know why a person with E has depression: is it meds, or living with E, or brain chemistry? Treating depression would not necessarily stop seizures.

MOOD - I described that the odd thing about the sz (these last two in Jan that went status) was that they occurred at a time when husband was feeling relaxed and happy - such as on a Sunday night with obligations met and time to relax, a job finished (he is self-employed). Doctor said that maybe a certain level of stress was keeping the seizures away, but you certainly wouldn't want to live your life in stress all the time.

As you can see, we did not get any answers. But the doctor was intrigued. he got major points from me for LISTENING and considering what we were saying and taking us seriously. I will be giving it more thought as well.

One thing I did not like was that he said they would consider my husband in a kind of high-risk category, given his events. Even if you might know this is true, you do not want to hear someone say it.

Rabbit
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
New Community Member

This is an old thread (and I'm new here, but I thought some of you might be interested in the following thread, since polar auroras are more common in the fall...

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/...ctivity-11768/