BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Season seizures? Increased seizures in the Fall

Kara mentioned in an earlier thread that her seizures seem to increase in the Fall. This really struck a chord with me.

I've always said that if I'm going to start having seizures, it's going to happen in the Fall, typically October. My first seizure in five years was October 16, 2006. The last period of seizures that I recognized was October 2001.

I started feeling strange again in November 2005 (I didn't recognize it as seizure-like at the time, but I now know that it was.

This has been an ongoing theme throughout my life. I only remember because my birthday is in October, and as a child it was notable to me that my seizures woud increase around my birthday. I only ever told one neurologist, and I've always felt ridiculous making the statement.

Has anyone else noticed a seasonal trigger? Is it the time change? Is it really SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)?

Thought, comments?

Kara, thank you for bringing this up!
Old 11-06-2006, 09:09 AM

I tend to have a large cluster of simple partials over a day or so whenever the season changes. Amazingly, so far so good since fall set in, but we'll see how long that continues...

LIZARD
LIZ in Li'l Rhody; hydrocephalus dx'ed at 3 weeks old. No shunt surgery in 30 years! Epilepsy well-controlled and autoimmune issues being worked on. Mom to Caren, 19, successful ablation 4/18/07 for WPW; and Drewy, 16, (autism dx'ed at 2 1/2, 13 mm ACM dx'ed at 5 1/2, no surgery, doing awesome!!) Wife of 20 years to Don...and friend to Gina. RIP. 9/5/66-10/22/07

http://s.excoboard.com/Livingwithhyd..._Gina_Libonate
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/autism-chiari/
Old 11-06-2006, 03:54 PM

Wink

Kinster,

Most ppl with bipolar disorder or other phycotic conditions are affected by season change IE: spring ~ increase sunlight you tend to get more manic.
Fall:~ less sunlight you tend to get more depressed.

Think of it this way ~ The sun and moon control the tides and waves, since your body is made mostly of water, isn't it logical that the amount of sunlight will have some sort of affect on your seizure activity?

Randy
Old 11-06-2006, 07:26 PM

Hi Kinster,
For many yrs. I would have very few sz. during the spring and summer when the temperatures were warmer but every yr. starting in Sept. right through the winter I always have many more sz. (absence, cp, and sp). My Epi told me the reason why I'm having more sz. during this time of yr. is because of the temperatures being cooler, and there is often many more low pressures than in the summer and spring. If you haven't started keeping a journal of your sz. get a calendar and write down what time you have a sz. and note if the weather is good or bad. Often times the weather can cause people to have sz. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
Old 11-07-2006, 09:47 PM

For me, it's always late October to middle of November they get worse and more frequent. I didn't realize there was a pattern until I started writing them down, which I have for years now. Oddly, I have not noticed a similar pattern for spring. Maybe because by that time, my brain has finally gotten used to the shorter days and is just thrilled to see them get longer again? I don't know.

Check out this site. http://www.dogtorj.net/id22.html I just did a query and it pulled up our old friend, "Dogtor John." (For the new people, he's a vet who has had great success treating dogs with epilepsy and is kind enough to share what he's learned with people.) He believes there's a serotonin connection--less sunlight equals less serotonin in the brain and less serotonin in the brain creates more sz. An interesting thought... So Kinster may actually be onto something, as far as it being related to S.A.D.

Last edited by Kara; 11-07-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:55 PM

Thank you for the link. This is really interesting; I'm acually rather pleased to hear that others have had a similar seasonal increase.

I'm going to my first epileptologist in December. I'm very curious to see the difference between this type of Dr vs my previous "general" neurologists. I hope I can get some useful information.

I have to stay up all night tonight because I have a sleep-deprived EEG tomorrow. I also have a PET scan and MRI scheduled for tomorrow afternoon, so I'm up all night with no food and no coffee (oh, woe is me... hehehe). Food is my savior from boredom, coffee is my friend - how I miss them both tonight...

Sorry for the tangent.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:58 AM

Default Seasonally affected epileptic seizures Veterinary Medicines DogtorJ

Thank you everyone for calling attention to a seasonal increase of your seizures. I haven't seen this in myself, but since so many have, I'm certainly going to looking at it. Kara, thank you for refinding DogtorJ at http://www.dogtorj.net/id22.html
I don't always agree with him, but he is very valuable. After all,the discovery of processes and the development of many medicines involve testing of the reactions in other animals (like dogs.) DogtorJ is certainly thought-provoking and someone to pay attention to.

Linnie
"beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself."
Old 12-17-2006, 01:02 PM
New Community Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIZARD View Post
I tend to have a large cluster of simple partials over a day or so whenever the season changes. Amazingly, so far so good since fall set in, but we'll see how long that continues...

LIZARD

That happens to me as well.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:31 PM
New Community Member

HI,
Quote:
Has anyone else noticed a seasonal trigger?
I suffer more in the winter months - this is due to me being affected by flickering lights and due to the shorter days you are more prone to be in contact with more lights in general.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Community Member

I am not sure I have a seasonal trigger, but I do have more problem in hot, humid weather and worse, when it rains. Winter doesn't seem to affect me.