BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 10-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Distinguished Community Member

The most important thing I have learned over the years is to educate those around me most about my disability and how to deal with me should something happen. Trying to hide my disability never did me or anyone else any favors. The people around you want to understand as best they can, help when needed, because they care about you.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:44 PM
New Community Member

Just found this sticky (don't know why I didn't see it before....) It's excellent!

I never considered that my young adult son (Matt) should carry some kind of card on him that he has seizures. Good idea. And as for calling the ambulance--we only did that the first time he had a complex partial. Talk about scared.... After that episode, we now just put a pillow under his head (he drops to the ground) and stay near him, moving stuff out of the way. And if he's having "auras" at nighttime (which for him is tingling and headache), we move his top mattress off the boxspring to the floor in case he rolls off during a seizure, so he won't hurt himself. And I'm a light sleeper so I can hear any movement from his room (we keep his door and ours open).

Again, thanks for a great thread!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
New Community Member

Thanks so much for this thread! Would anyone mind if I included your comments in my speeches when I'm trying to explain what people should do when someone around them has a seizure?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Thumbs up Educating others?, sounds perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Memories View Post
Thanks so much for this thread! Would anyone mind if I included your comments in my speeches when I'm trying to explain what people should do when someone around them has a seizure?
For my part please, for as I see it your doing so would be precisely the type of intent this thread was born from; educating others.

From Daniel's first post starting this thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientWolf
This thread serves 2 main purposes: 1. It allows those of us who have seizures to talk about what we would want done if we were to have a seizure. 2. Perhaps most importantly, it is a source of information for people who know someone with a seizure disorder so that they will better be able to handle it.

Anyone feel differently?

todd

toad
“The memory of no memory; what a way to forget..” toadism

Last edited by Toad; 02-21-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:08 PM
New Community Member

That's great! I appreciate your help. Giving my presentations has been an interesting experience. I thought most people would ask questions about my memory loss--and I do get quite a few of those kinds of questions. However, I get at least as many, and often more, questions about epilepsy. It feels great, knowing I'm helping educate people and, hopefully, make life a little easier for those of us with epilepsy.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Community Member

I had no choice but to go to the hospital after my first seizure ( I think it was a grand mall). I was sitting outside my supervisors office and was feeling somewhat sick to my stomach. I got up to go get a can of seven up and that is the last thing that I can remember.

Apparently my supervisor heard a strange noise outside the office and there I was having a seizure apparently I turned completely blue and was hardly breathing then I turned all red then white and my color finally started coming back and I was coming out of it. I think it lasted for quite a while.

I remember coming out of it and there were a bunch of strangers standing around my desk at work. I had no recolection of what had taken place unit my lead come to me and said I had to go to the hospital because I had just had a seizure.
Old 06-16-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Memories View Post
That's great! I appreciate your help. Giving my presentations has been an interesting experience. I thought most people would ask questions about my memory loss--and I do get quite a few of those kinds of questions. However, I get at least as many, and often more, questions about epilepsy. It feels great, knowing I'm helping educate people and, hopefully, make life a little easier for those of us with epilepsy.

Please feel free to use my statements in this thread as well. (not sure if this is a little late)
Old 06-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalpin41 View Post
I had no choice but to go to the hospital after my first seizure ( I think it was a grand mall). I was sitting outside my supervisors office and was feeling somewhat sick to my stomach. I got up to go get a can of seven up and that is the last thing that I can remember.

Apparently my supervisor heard a strange noise outside the office and there I was having a seizure apparently I turned completely blue and was hardly breathing then I turned all red then white and my color finally started coming back and I was coming out of it. I think it lasted for quite a while.

I remember coming out of it and there were a bunch of strangers standing around my desk at work. I had no recolection of what had taken place unit my lead come to me and said I had to go to the hospital because I had just had a seizure.

There's a very good point in your post that, while it has been mentioned previously, should be emphasized. That is, there are times when someone having a seizure NEEDS medical attention, including possibly a trip to the hospital. If they're not breathing, appear to have injured themselves, hit their head, bleeding, usual common sense. Also if they do not regain consciousness enough to be able to talk to you within a few minutes.

However, the most important thing is that each of us make sure to make someone in our usual environments aware of the potential and tell them how YOU need it handled. We can all be rather individual as to what helps post-ictal. I tell my instructors, disabled student services, the student health center and the campus police at my college because that covers it without having to tell anyone else aside from my close friends.

I hate waking up with people standing around me. I'm glad they got you to a hospital at least. If my best friend is with me he keeps people away and he stays nearby. I like having one or two close friends to help me stand up when I'm ready, but not a crowd.

Thank you for your post.