BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Epilepsy Forums

Old 05-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Howdy dogsmom!

Sounds like you need to enlighten your physician about what to do.

Not a bit surprising if the doctor is not familier with epilepsy!
Old 05-31-2008, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdydave View Post
Howdy dogsmom!

Sounds like you need to enlighten your physician about what to do.

Not a bit surprising if the doctor is not familier with epilepsy!
Howdie Dave! According to the hubster, who insisted on taking me to my appt. that day, (I was just having a blood test to see if I had inherited my moms' diabetes) my PCP knew exactly what was happening when my left arm started to jerk. He tried to "talk me out of" the simple partial seizure progressing. He made me hold up my hands, clench my fists, etc. but I didn't last but 30 seconds following his commands before the stuff hit the fan.

Hubster told me as soon as I tensed and started to convulse the PCP told him "She's having a grand mal, I'm calling an ambulance." Then he summoned two nurses while he gave the info. to the receptionist to call the EMTs.

I have since found out that in this state, at least, doctors are required to call an ambulance when there is an "Acute Event."

So I guess, that day, I was A-cutey.

Ha ha!

Brain Candy includes; 3,000 mgs Keppra, 200 mgs. Headache-Tal (Lamictal,) 200 mgs. Topamax, 150 mgs. Effexor, .05 mgs of the occasional Ativan.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:44 AM

Yup...
It's all a matter of perspective.

To those of us who live with it it isn't an "acute event"...
just an event.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 AM

I was listening to this radio show online yesterday talking about how to handle seizures.
http://willmedia.will.uiuc.edu/ramge...ftmag030210.rm
Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 PM

For me its usually not a really big issue- except when I am fighting fire in a hot environment. Sometimes I pass out or get very red faced nauseous. I have my GMs at night- except when my blood sugar bottoms out. My rules are-
NO EMS unless I don't stop seizing for a long time- my seizures can sometimes be pretty long

If I am "out of it" leave me alone- let me stare, just don't let me get hurt. Don't fuss at me if I seem like I am a million miles away. I am not pouting, I am seizing.

If I seize during the day check my sugar and it will probably be low

Otherwise- Don't knock me because I have E- I am a capable human, I can be a nurse safely, and I don't have to be babied. I am an adult.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Community Member

FOr me..
I hate people calling ambulances for small ones... If im concious i will refuse treatment.
BUT if any bones look broken its a good idea to make me go with them LOL
N its not a good idea for me to go anywhere after one.... I might end up walkin round for a few hours before i really wake up
Old 07-20-2008, 12:02 AM

Default Daniel!

Fancy meeting you here! I am really glad to see you, I have missed you.

I also had forgotten you had E. We found out resently that our 18 yro. granddaughter has it too. I came by to see if I could read something that would help her, so far it seems we are all doing the wrong things?

She just turned 18, graduated high School, was fixing to buy her first brand new car. Well, I guess it was the HW Dept. that pulled her ticket to drive away until she was well enough to drive, The Neuro did many test,was confirmed she did indeed have E.

I'm old so I understand completely why they did this. G-daughter is trying her best to forget she Does Not have it. that sweet loving beauty has turned into the wicked witch of the South! I am the type of person that will tell you the turth and she knows this. She tries to stay away from me if she can. I won't hurt her with words, she just knows I do not mince words.She knows she can't pull the wool over my eyes. I treat her as I always have. I love her dearly and she does know this. the parents act in such a way, as if they GAVE this to her, because she will tell them that.

I was wondering if the Keppra? and Folic Acid had in any way caused her to be n such terrible moods?? the first I knew of this was she had spent the night here with her 12 yro. sister. Little sister came to me in the middle of the night and told me her sister was moaning and making funny noises and sshe was lying in the bath room floor.

after all said and done I asked WHY I Didn't KNOW?? I was very -iss-d off at the parents. She had told them not to tell me. Maybe I get too excited about things, but this child had something that Could have killed her or her to hurt someone else. Thats why I am asking all these questions. COULD her meds be a factor in her mood swings.

Thanks a bunch , this is long and I don't blame anybody to forget to hear all of this. Maybe some help as to how to help her?

Daniel, when I saw your name I took the liberty to snatch a hug. I hope that was ok. my love to all, Jo
Old 07-20-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo6 View Post
Fancy meeting you here! I am really glad to see you, I have missed you.

I also had forgotten you had E. We found out resently that our 18 yro. granddaughter has it too. I came by to see if I could read something that would help her, so far it seems we are all doing the wrong things?

She just turned 18, graduated high School, was fixing to buy her first brand new car. Well, I guess it was the HW Dept. that pulled her ticket to drive away until she was well enough to drive, The Neuro did many test,was confirmed she did indeed have E.

I'm old so I understand completely why they did this. G-daughter is trying her best to forget she Does Not have it. that sweet loving beauty has turned into the wicked witch of the South! I am the type of person that will tell you the turth and she knows this. She tries to stay away from me if she can. I won't hurt her with words, she just knows I do not mince words.She knows she can't pull the wool over my eyes. I treat her as I always have. I love her dearly and she does know this. the parents act in such a way, as if they GAVE this to her, because she will tell them that.

I was wondering if the Keppra? and Folic Acid had in any way caused her to be n such terrible moods?? the first I knew of this was she had spent the night here with her 12 yro. sister. Little sister came to me in the middle of the night and told me her sister was moaning and making funny noises and sshe was lying in the bath room floor.

after all said and done I asked WHY I Didn't KNOW?? I was very -iss-d off at the parents. She had told them not to tell me. Maybe I get too excited about things, but this child had something that Could have killed her or her to hurt someone else. Thats why I am asking all these questions. COULD her meds be a factor in her mood swings.

Thanks a bunch , this is long and I don't blame anybody to forget to hear all of this. Maybe some help as to how to help her?

Daniel, when I saw your name I took the liberty to snatch a hug. I hope that was ok. my love to all, Jo
Jo, your hugs are always welcome. It's great to see you.

It could be the meds. It could be that she's 18. It could be that she's having a REAL hard time coming to terms with having seizures (it can take many years for some) and is acting out because of her deep frustration and anger at her situation. It's sad that her parents just roll over. I hope she is seeking some counseling to deal with her issues, whatever they happen to be.

As far as the meds, they can and often do affect moods and even personality. It can be kinda scary at times. It's part of why I don't do the meds anymore, though there are several reasons. It may be something she needs to speak with her doctor about.

Yes, you absolutely should have been informed about your g-daughter's E. I realize she's probably embarrassed about it and that's why she insisted her parents don't tell you, but her parents should have been WAY more responsible than that. They put their daughters health at serious risk by not telling you so that you could be prepared if she were to seize, as she did.

I hope she can get these things sorted out. It's a terrible thing to not have control over one's body and it takes a lot of time to adapt for those of us who were diagnosed later in life. (I was diagnosed at 24 or 25.) I don't belittle how hard it is for those who have known their whole lives and am not claiming I or anyone else has it harder, just that it presents its own special challenges and aggravations.

Namaste,

Daniel
Old 08-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Exclamation I have a Question to any on out there that can help Please!

this is traciboop I have had seizures for 44 years now.and the frist thing on my body to give me away to tell ppl that I am going into a seizure would be my puplis they get inlarged.recently I had been diagnost with Glaucoma the frist stages of course hopefuly in time to help it .my question to you is has any one out there every heard of some one my age geting glaucoma because of there seizure,s.this is what my optometrist thinks because my seizures are so hard on my eyes.if you have any information please let me know thanks take care and happy trails
Old 10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Community Member

I had no choice of going to the hospital in an ambulance after my first tonic clonic. It happened while I was at work and first was making really strange noises which made the manager come out of his office and there I was having this seizure. I turned completely red ( I don't know why) that happened then I was hardly breathing and turned blue, then turned white and finally my color started coming back and I started coming out of it. Had no recollection of it and was wondering why a bunch of emt's were standing around my desk.

Now I have just sp or cp.