BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Default The Flector Patch - Anyone tried?

I have had pain from nerve damage and allodynia in my thighs for almost four years. The right thigh has always been far worse. I wear three lidoderm patches to cover the area but I have a new problem, after all this time the area of pain has almost tripled in size. It now goes from my knee all the way up to my hip joint and covers about 1/2 of my thigh. I can't be given more lidoderm patches and while talking with my pharmacist today he suggested I ask my pain doctor about the Flector patches.

I'm smart enough by now to come here and ask the real pro's on pain before I go ask the doc about them!

Anyone have any pro's or con's from personal experience and what kind of pain did you try them on? Thanks so much as always! A.K.
damaged LFC nerve -pain 24/7
Old 05-20-2008, 09:38 PM

I cannot take non steroids anti infammatory pills so I was given some samples of Flector by my pain management doc. I think they may have helped, sure didn't hurt anything, until I got my own presciption and found out how hugh my share would be of the cost after insurance even.

In other words, if I could afford them, I'd sure give then a try on a more permanent basis.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Lightbulb placement...

I have found that placement of the Lidoderms determine the relief you get.

I would suggest you try placing one on the back area (your best estimation of
lumbar source of the pain) instead of placing at the source of the pain felt.

For example, I have MP from a C-section long ago. For years it became worse and worse. When Lidoderms came out I sprang instantly to try them.
The best placement for me was cutting one in half and putting it in the
groin area where I estimated the nerve was exiting the abdomen. Placing at the point where the shooting pain was felt, lower in the thigh-- did not work.

Another example, when I had my tendon injury--(an adductor thing) I had
extreme groin pain and couldn't move my leg ---placing the Lidoderm on the lower sacral area on that side, did improve my suffering tremendously, but putting it anywhere on the leg itself was not effective.

I think interrupting the signal in the nerve higher up, works better. Since we don't know a what point the nerve is misfiring, you might be wasting the patches on the end point sensations.

I am going to try and get some Flector for myself this week... and compare it to the patches I have used for YEARS --Salonpas.

Salonpas are extremely effective. Most people do not know about them because they don't advertise on TV ( I don't think they need to). I think they are far superior to Ben Gay and the other imitators. I only use the ones with methyl salicylate in them. (this is the type I use-- http://www.salonpas.us/salonpas.php
(they make several types).

Here is their website:
http://www.salonpas.us/
There is a store finder on there somewhere.
They are used in other countries and are very popular. They have only been in US for about 10 yrs.
Walgreen's and RiteAid carry them typically.

Once I had a terrible bruise in my thigh...it was huge (bumped it with a heavy tote) and when I put
my Salonpas on my knee that day....it cleared the part of the bruise it was on. Left a clear void in one day!
So the active ingredient also helps with bruising I found by accident!

My major use for these has been my feet. I have cracked sesamoids, and the patches reduce pain from them.
I have been able for avoid surgery using these. If you like them, Costco sells them in bulk, 120 patches for just
about $7.00. That is a real deal! I have used them on the back 3 times for myself, but with the small ones
I had to stack 3 at a time. You can also cut them, and in strips are handy for toes/fingers.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM

Thanks for the reminder about the SalonSpas MrsD, I can go back to using those things and they are affordable. One nice thing about the Flector patch is that it is a nice large size.

I actually have had one of my a sesamoid removed without much trouble. I was always getting it bruised so as a last resort the foot doctor just removed it. Except for that foot being just a tad flatter, I can't tell the difference except I no longer have to go through months and months of foot treatments every year or so. OOps sorry off the subject, my mind is wandering today.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy View Post
Thanks for the reminder about the SalonSpas MrsD, I can go back to using those things and they are affordable. One nice thing about the Flector patch is that it is a nice large size.

I actually have had one of my a sesamoid removed without much trouble. I was always getting it bruised so as a last resort the foot doctor just removed it. Except for that foot being just a tad flatter, I can't tell the difference except I no longer have to go through months and months of foot treatments every year or so. OOps sorry off the subject, my mind is wandering today.
My foot doctor was conservative about removal...he said the tendon then gets looser and you may then develop a bunion! I have a very high arch, and he said that would stress the joint. So I am still undecided about surgery.

Then I had a gal patient who was an aerobics instructor --and she broke HERS doing the step-master thing. Her surgery was not very successful...she had pain
after as well. That sort of discouraged me too.

I think I broke mine hiking on rocks...there a millions of rocks --big ones--
at our vacation home. As long as the Salonpas work on my feet, I am satisfied.

But I hope to try Flector on the lower sacral back. I would like to compare them... Salonpas vs Flector since I am in a position to "recommend".
Old 05-22-2008, 10:40 PM

I will be "watching" for you ratings on the Flector patch. I'd really love to try them for a longer time but it was truly the cost that stopped me.

About feet, my feet are truly dead so having a bone removed was not as big a risk as it would be for someone that still has feeling left in theirs. The stepmaster brings back memories as I had to have hubby make me a homemade step stool way back when to do my stepping. I had read an article about how much calories steps burned and at that time stepping was not popular. I overdid it big time with the stepping but it sure burned the calories. I got caught up in the whole exercise thing and overdid walking and everything. That is one reason my spine and hips is so bad today. But I loved it then.

I have been really careful about wearing shoes and avoiding going barefoot. I used to wash garage barefoot and go in the lawn without shoes and such. Now that I make sure to wear shoes most of the time, and wear good ones at that, I have not had another infection. Knock on wood, lol.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM

Lightbulb well...

Wednesday was a bust!
My doctor had just returned from a vacation and was very rattled and
behind...I had to wait a long time!

She won't prescribe anything until seen by a DRUG SALESPERSON...duh!
So I arranged that for her. (this is SO TYPICAL of doctors today )

This may not happen in time for my leaving for the summer. So it will probably be in the fall when I finally get the Flector. (I do have insurance--but the copay will be $35.) She laughed at the Salonpas.... they have those in her home country...and she said for more than 20yrs...EVERYONE uses them there (Phillipines). So she knows about them--and said to continue with them.

So I called the Flector hot line. There is a doctor on the other end, and he was very nice. We got a sales rep contact # and I forwarded that on to my doctor's office. But he did say, that Flector is NOT NEW ...it has been in Europe for 15 years now. (with a different name).
He said the Flector patches do not release alot of drug into the major circulation, and are similar to Lidoderm in style and function.
(unlike other drugs in patches, which deliver drugs in therapeutic systemic doses like Nicotine patches or fentanyl, etc.)

He says they can be cut...but until that feature is approved by FDA, they cannot advertise that feature. And they are LARGE... In my case good for my back!

So I will surely come back with an evaluation. I do love my Lidoderms and Salonpas...I'd rather use these patch means to deal with my chronic pain issues.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM

I wish you could have tried them over this summer. That surley would have been a good time ,lol. But you have given me something to think about, the lidoderm patch. I'm for anything that I don't have to swallow by mouth these days. As one doctor put it, you don't have much room left for food after your meds, do you? I do but it was nice of him to say!

I was not all that familiar with large patches but I did not have too much to complain about about how the Flector patch stayed on. Of course because they were samples (a generous supply but still not a lot like you would expect with a prescription) I did hot tubs etc after I removed the old one and before I put on a new one.

I feel better knowing they aren't new also. I may have to see why mine were going to cost $140 AFTER insurance!!!! I really wanted to try them bad. I am almost to the point that I want to ask for an older NSAID again. But I'm still on the iron pills from the last unknown blood seep that they blamed the NASID on so am just reluctant. I have enough tummy troubles with IBS anbd PN!!! I am on a low dose of opiod and trying to make that work without success.

Going away for a few days but do you have any suggestions about the best NSAID just in case I get desperate? I know about the vioxx and biaxin as i was on both at once due to a misunderstanding.

A.K I am glad you asked about the patch and hope it is a success for you if you try it.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:13 PM

Lightbulb suggestion...

If you want a very conservative dose of NSAID...try this:

I found the LIQUIGEL form of OTC ALEVE is far superior to the tablets or
the RX version naproxyn.

I have been on various NSAIDs for many years due to my arthritis. I even fell back to enteric coated aspirin when I had my terrible knee problems.

I use SAMe now to help control my arthritis progression, which IS helping.
I avoided a knee replacement with it.

But I have cut back enormously on NSAIDs in general. I use the patches
Salonpas (OTC) and Lidoderms (RX) with alot of success. But there are times, esp when
a low pressure weather system moves in, that I am very very uncomfortable. So then I will do one Aleve Liquigel for a whole day. They are just totally different from the tablet formulations. They are fast acting, and last much longer.
It has to be a different absorption factor!

Liquigels are coming along commonly now in other areas. Some Vit D is now in liquigel form. And the OTC supplement company NatureMade is introducing a whole line of new liquigels for many of their common products.

Anyway I am very happy with them.

So you might want to try a Aleve Liquigel to see if you can tolerate it better, like I do. You might be very surprised at how nice they work. Allowing for such a low dose, and less frequent use... has been very helpful for me.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:33 PM

Mrs D,

What is your profession? You keep mentioning things you've done with various patients.