BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Aneurysm

Aneurysm Welcome to the BrainTalk Communities Aneurysm Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 AM
Distinguished Community Member

Default Do angiograms hurt?

im scheduled to have my first angiogram on Friday, and im petrified. ive heard it hurts so much, and i cant stop thinking about it now.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:11 AM

It doesn't really hurt..A little pinch when they numb your groin area, then you feel nothing until they put in the stuff for show up the x-ray..then it just feels hot for a few seconds , then leaves...they usually gives you a sedative, to make you a little relaxed,,not sleepy, but relaxed..I've had 8 angiograms in the past 7 years...I'm an ole timer...Peice of cake anymore. lol, Hugs you'll do fine, Cindy
Severe horrible headpain for over 9 years..Related to a inoperable brain aneurysm.. Meds, methadone, ativan, topamax, accupril, asprin, miralax, phenergan. Got SSDI for disabling pain..I know pain...And I know how to live everyday as it may be my last....Hugs, Cindy
Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 AM

I just had one Jan 11, for a two-year checkup on the aneurysm I still have. For me they are uncomfortable. I have scar tissue in the groin are from surgery on my hip and I have contorted arteries, which means they have a bit more difficulty getting through them with the catheter. But it's not that bad once I'm numbed up.
They did give me a light sedative and a drug to make me forget That helped, and even though I have more trouble than some people, it's not awful, just uncomfortable. I didn't feel anything during the procedure but a bit of heat when the dye is put in.
Actually I think it's kind of neat being able to see the pictures on the screen next to me. Pretty interesting!!
You'll do fine, I'm sure. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Kitty
Old 03-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Community Member

Default Theo

Hi dani-doot,

Not a thing to worrry about I just was in two weeks ago in a Minneapolis Hospital and a a cornary angiogram with a stent placement and watched the whole thing while under a local. It was actually fun. The next day I had an aneurysm coiled in the LMCA and then they went into the the other side and looked at adding coils to the previously coiled RMCA aneurysm but could not do it at this time due to some edema around the giant aneurysm of course I was out cold for those. I am on a steroid program right now to bring the swelling down. Angiograms these days are the least of your worrys have a great day.

Theo
Old 03-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Community Member

I had my first angio in Jan. I didn't have any problems or pain but they do sedate you a bit. I know it's easy to say but try to relax. I also know I'll be here in a few weeks saying how scared I am when it comes time to take care of my 3rd annie. You'll do just fine.

Lynn
Old 03-25-2008, 09:00 AM

Thanks everyone, youve really reassurred me. i needed it, ive been fretting over it for days. ***x
Old 03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Community Member

Dani-Doot.. I'm scheduled for a 6 month follow-up in a couple months and I told my neurosurgeon I do not want to be awake for the procedure. He said no problem, we'll put you out. I guess it depends on the doctor but if you have concerns about being awake versus being put to sleep, talk to him/her before the day of the procedure so the appropriate arrangements can be made. Good luck! We're all praying for you!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:10 PM
New Community Member

Dani----Just had mine yesterday. It doesn't really hurt, I will say it is uncomfortable for the few seconds the pictures are being taken, but it quickly goes away. You should be given something to relax and your groin should be numb. Today my leg is a little sore. My doctor and techs were great and talked me through the entire process. Don't worry you will do fine.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Community Member

I noticed nobody mentioned it, but when I had mine, the worst part was that after it was over they made me lay flat on my back for four hours. Not even a pillow. I couldn't read because I couldn't keep my hands up in the air long enough and all I could see was the ceiling or to the sides. They wouldn't let me move at all and after a while I felt like my back was breaking.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:13 PM

that is the bit i am very much dreading. i just hope they use the angio seal on me. Also im worried about needing the toilet while lying down after the angiogram, as i tend to wee a terrible amount, and i am just off my "woman thing" ............

also.....was just wondering does your leg hurt for long afterwards, and can it restrict you from doing things??

sorry for all the questions, im just a bag of nerves. xx