BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives  

Go Back   BrainTalk Communities 10/2006-8/2011 Archives > Specific Neurological Conditions (A - L) > Chronic Pain

Chronic Pain Whatever the cause, support for managing long term or intractable pain.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Distinguished Community Member

Unhappy Sudden Onset Of Severe Knee Pain ?!!?

Hello all,

I have been gone a very long time. So sorry. I honestly have been blessed and feeling so well I just have gotten so busy. Really! I owe it mostly to going off Nuerontin and getting a TAP (oral device to wear during sleep) to counteract sleep apnea.

This is not to say I have not been experiencing pain. In fact, it seems this year as though I am having more trouble with age related disorders. My jointst hurt a lot. Just wrist ,shoulders and hands , which I have injured in the past.

I thought I would go on one of the billions of glucosamine/chondroitin combinations. About a week or so after I started this supplement, I very suddenly couldn't straighten out my legs after lying in bed for a couple of hours. It was so painful, I thought they were totally locked up. This got continually worse and eventually, I would hear a loud click in whichever knee I was trying to straighten out. The pain is incredibly severe.

Since the onset was so sudden, I thought perhaps the supplement might be contibuting to this new problem. I discontinued the OTC med a week ago and I am somewhat better but the pain is still there and significant. Where is was a 10+, I would say it is around a 6-7, can go up to 10 if I have been sitting for a while and try to straighten ou my legs.

What do you think?

I hate to go to the Dr. She is mad at me because I won't have a colonoscopy. I had one a couple years ago and was fine. She is obsessed with this test because her father died of colon cancer. I am also supposed to be scheduling heart stress tests and lung xray. I just keep putting that off. I don't want to go where she is sending me. But that's another story.

OK. Got any suggestions about my sudden onset of severe pain in my knees?

I sure would appreciate any help you may offer. Thank you, THANK YOU, THANK YOU !!!!!

Yer Pal,
hoopd
Old 02-23-2008, 07:27 PM

Hi hoops, I have the same problem but my doc says it is osteoarthritis, the cartilage is wearing away. I am going to begin a series of shots soon so we are hoping that these help. Maybe an MRI, some xrays. I hope you find the reason and a solution soon.

We gain strength, and courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face ... we must do that which we think we cannot.

Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM

Yes, I do have some arthritis, but this was very sudden. Like ....I was just fine one day and the very next day, voila' knee pain. And not just knee pain, severe knee pain. I would think I would have had some little knee pain from time to time in the past if it were just osteoarthritis. I don'tmean to minimize osteoarthritis, I know it is an awful
dis-ease, and I have it in my feet, wrists, spine, fingers.

But I have never, ever had pain in my knees except if I was kneeling on them on a hard floor. This was like a broken bone. Very sudden pain onset. That's the part that has me perplexed.

Thanks for your input. Any ideas about sudden onset of the knee pain, both knees?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:22 PM

Hi hoops,

I can really relate to your knee pain..I have a torn meniscus right patella with ACL ligament involvement..and it subluxates and dislocates on occasion. About 20+ years ago I tore my left kneecap off...ouchies!!

So, this came about suddenly and you didn't do anything..and you first noticed it when in bed for a couple hours and couldn't straighten out your legs. (Btw, some studies have come out saying those glucosamide etc. preparations don't work well).

This is a puzzler, especially since your symptoms have become better since you stopped taking that med. Is the pain more to the inside of your knees or the outside? Sharp or dull? Do you feel any "popping"?? What kind of pain do you have when walking?

Since you don't want to see your doc, then the other option is to go to an Urgent Care...there's just so many things that it could be....

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2008, 11:43 PM

Default Kendra

The pain is more in front top part of the knee and extremely sharp. It's like the knee is locked in the bent position. If I just try to force the leg straight, it almost won't go, when it finally does straighten out it is very painful and makes a loud click. And I can feelthe click. It feels like there is a bone on the top, front of my knee moving or flipping.

When I am walking I don't seem to have a great deal of pain, but then I don't walk a lot. Going up and down the stairs has become more difficult, pain in bending the knee and straightening it out and bending on the stairs.

I guess I could go see my ortho Dr. He's really nice. I really do not want to hear the word surgery. That scares the BG's out of me. I'm supposed to be getting a stress test right now and have been putting it off for , well, lets just say awhile. I'm mostly scared.

I don't want anything else to be wrong with me. I want to be OK and just get on with my life. Ya know?

Sick of being sick....have had a pretty good year and I like it. I don't want anybody to find anything else wrong with me.

Warmly,
hoops
Old 02-24-2008, 02:39 AM

Hoops, I know the feeling of sick of being sick. One thing that could bring on the pain so quickly is if a piece of calcium broke loose and floated around getting wedged in under your knee cap. I think it is encouraging that it is declining rapidly and I hope in a few more days you will be back to not having severe kne pain.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:11 AM

Hoops,

I really have no idea; it would take the Ortho doc to figure all that out. Just wanted to say I have aches, pains, clicks, pops, and locks when going UP the stairs. I already know my left knee is bad with Osteo but as of the last xray; it hasn't progressed. But I also agree with what Kandra stated; the sudden onset is a puzzler so you may have done something...just don't know. If it is Osteo they can do the shots although I haven't had them. I do have fluid built up to the side of the knee. The Ortho doc said he could drain that and then shoot Synvisc in there...but that was a couple of years ago. Anyway, it is ALWAYS worse in the winter. In the summer it is as if I don't have Osteo at all. So, I just try to keep moving it. But in your case I would definitely see the Ortho doc.
Retired - DOD/Defense Finance & Acctg/IT - 2005
Old 02-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Unhappy Sick of being sick

Hi Hoops,

I am so sorry you are having more problems, Knees really can waylay walking etc.

I have to weigh in on the things you are afraid of. I have had all of these tests some more than others. Luckily there have been no problems. But, isn't it better to be safe than sorry. I mean that these tests are there for a reason, to catch problems if any in the early stages. Colon cancer is 90 percent curable if caught early. Chest xrays identify many different conditions. And a stress test also can identify early conditions that can be addressed if necessary.
Please don't get me wrong I do not enjoy having these tests as the saying goes "better safe than sorry" I am so sorry to seem like a Biatch, I just don't understand why people forgo tests out of fear. I will say alot of times men are more likely to skip them. Not ALL men.

Take care,
Kathy
Old 02-24-2008, 07:05 PM

Default pain

Hey hoops...

How's the pain today? The thing that's puzzling me is its affecting both knees. From your description it almost sounds that it could be a ligament...but for both knees..hmm.

Oh, didn't know you had an ortho doc! Yep, if not better tomorrow I'd definitely be calling for an appointment. If the pain goes away before you see him I'd still go and tell him about it to get his thoughts on what the cause could have been...
Old 02-24-2008, 09:58 PM

Kandra,
The pain is a bit less, thank you. It seems, actually, now, to be more on the right than the left. After reading a whole lot on the knee,(around the web world) I think what Mark said may be close to the answer. I think some excess calcium broke looseand slipped into the area under the platella. Is that right? The floater?

The supplemant I was taking had extra calcium in it and I was apparently getting an overdose of calcium. ( according to what I have read), because I already take calcium with D. That is why, since I stopped taking that OTC supp. I started to get better over time. hmmm. Sounds like a case for CSI. hahaha.

Oh Kathy, I will have the tests. At least the stress test and the lung xray. But I won't have the colonoscopy. Too many people have come out with perforations and other problems. I had one recently and it showed healthy.

Thanks all, for your care and concern.

Blessings to you all,
hoops